BC Boards

What the dog sees, agility version

airbear

I had so much fun rigging Lou up with a helmet cam, that I thought I'd try with Wick and the agility equipment. She took one look at the headgear and made a beeline back to the house. That left ... Rex.

The sequence is tunnel-teeter-weaves-dogwalk. If you are at all prone to motion-sickness, you do NOT want to watch this video. biggrin.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_llbDZTYBA

Rex does this little dance where he hops back and forth like, well, a spaz. I am actually standing still and he's doing his weird slalom dance.

And not to be an enabler or anything but ... awesome bluetooth headset video camera. This is Candy Kennedy's fault, by the way. Both Laura and I were forced to buy this camera after she posted her video on FB. I think I am the only one crazy enough to strap it to a dog's head though. #winning

The first iteration (and the impetus behind purchasing the camera) was Sheepdog Cam, starring Lou. This one gets pretty bouncy too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RmvFYc9ZCg

What I'd like to see is Wick through 12 poles (she is a fairly fast weaver) but she has made it clear she wants NOTHING to do with HelmetCam. sad.gif

Here's the first version, used for sheepdog cam:

photo-1.jpg

For the agility version, Rex is wearing the top of a stocking - you know those stay-up stockings that have the elasticized lazy top? The things you wore when you still had a life and weren't spending all your time doing dog sports and making videos? Yeah, so I sewed some velcro to the top of the stocking, and then made a little elastic tube to hold the camera. The elastic tube has velcro on the the bottom, and I just attach it to the dog's head once he's wearing the headband. I have no idea why Wick didn't want to be a part of this!

The Looxcie is meant to be worn on the ear, like a bluetooth headset (actually, you can use it as a BT headset). You can either control the recording by pressing a button on the device or through your iPhone/iPad. It is so much freakin' fun! Well, the dogs probably wish I hadn't bought one, but *I* think it's fun!

looxcie-2.jpg

Actually, my first video was of a bunch of us eating hamburgers. It's pretty awesome, actually! I think flyball will make people even more car-sick than the agility one. And at least Rex has running contacts - can you imagine what a lawn-dart a-frame would look like?

Quite a fun video.

Lots of people have also mounted the GoPro HD camera to dog harnesses. It is not quite a "dog's view" as one sees the back of the head but does look to be a bit less bouncy than head mounted.

For example, Rose the three legged BC:

(lost a leg due to a bad porcupine encounter, operation was actually featured on the show 'animo' on CBC-french)

I can now understand why a baby dog can be confused by the upside of a DW versus teeter, they certainly don't see much do they?

In AAC (our main venue), neither the dogwalk nor the teeter has slats so they look absolutely identical to the dog on approach. That's why I set them up side by side (and yes, sometimes I do move the dogwalk to the middle of the yard and put the teeter closer to the fence). His verbal for dogwalk (giddyup) is quite different from his verbal for teeter (the very original "teeter"), and that's all he has to go on to figure out which piece of wood is which. Sometimes, he takes very big air on the teeter, and I'm not sure that he's not enjoying himself as he catapults through the air. smile.gif

Archived