BC Boards

Border Collie Nationals

Rave

While many Border Collies were at the World Trials, or USBCHA Nationals, some were competing at the BCSA Nationals held in Oregon. I find it highly entertaining that all three of these events were held on the same weekend. Since I know many of you were glued to webcasts and twitter following the working dog coverage in the UK and CO, I am posting the winner and results. Full results of all the obedience, agility and conformation are here: http://www.facebook.com/2011BCSANationals

And here is the BEST OF BREED, that is the BEST of the Border Collies... (click for a larger picture to see the dog in all his glory)

Now you're all up to date!!

post-1802-059660400 1316383192_thumb.jpg

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And in reading through the results, I came across this. Not sure whether to be sad or .... ?

"Herding Instinct is now finished. Out of 21 entries, we had 12 pass!"

And some of the herding was cancelled because of "inappropriate stock". not sure what that means!

If those folks want to see "inappropriate stock", they should try using their dogs on my 29 weanlings, or maybe their mothers. Don't they realize that the working dog world is full of "inappropriate stock"? That's why we need the dogs to do the work, for stock and jobs that can't be done without their help.

And my stock isn't rank at all, just challenging...

I don't know what the heck was going on in Oregon, and I understand you're kind of kidding around. There is certainly no question who is the best of the border collies. That was determined in this morning's double lift final at USBCHA Sheepdog Finals in Colorado. It was such a thrill to watch Alasdair MacRae run Star in her last competitive sheepdog trial before being retired at age 10. This dog-handler team has won so many trials and laid down so many memorable runs. Star is most spectacularly everything a border collie should be.

This morning's double lift final:

IMG7019-M.jpg

IMG7024-M.jpg

IMG7026-M.jpg

IMG7235-M.jpg

I've watched Alasdair and Star at Bluegrass, and they are a great team - she's a lovely little bitch who would be laughed out of the show ring - fortunately, she'd never be in one!

Some folks just don't have their priorities in order.

Quinn says thanks for the great pictures of his grandma Star!!

Kim Litz and Quinn who is just 8 1/2 months old

FL

I don't know what the heck was going on in Oregon, and I understand you're kind of kidding around. There is certainly no question who is the best of the border collies. That was determined in this morning's double lift final at USBCHA Sheepdog Finals in Colorado. It was such a thrill to watch Alasdair MacRae run Star in her last competitive sheepdog trial before being retired at age 10. This dog-handler team has won so many trials and laid down so many memorable runs. Star is most spectacularly everything a border collie should be.

This morning's double lift final:

IMG7019-M.jpg

IMG7024-M.jpg

IMG7026-M.jpg

IMG7235-M.jpg

Giggle all you want. Then go to the BCSA website and check out the stats for 2010. Over 10,000 dogs entered in "herding events". They're eating our lunch.

Pearse

That's not really a comparison one can make since most of the breeds competing in AKC events couldn't handle the outrun in a novice-novice course. The USBCHA could come up with a completely dumbed-down version of their trial system, and still not be able to compete with the AKC's numbers. A lot of those people are title-chasing to be able to get their little started title for this other fancy little conformation class they have:

Herding Titled Bitches:

1. CH Wildair Winter Light

2. CH Sun Mtn's Because I Can

3. CH Cordillera If Pigs Could Fly

4. Traviston C Dyna Soar

Herding Titled Dogs:

1. CH Celestria Voyage to Shannara

2. GCH Tapfer's Dancing With Thieves

3. CH Red Ryder At Real Pearl

4. OMegan's Come By Chance

Or the Versatility title. Or the super Versatility title. Or the Wonder Dog of the Year title. Or whatever other ridiculous crap they have.

And then, even if we were successful in bringing in all of these entries ... do we want to deal with the mentality that comes along with it?

Giggle all you want. Then go to the BCSA website and check out the stats for 2010. Over 10,000 dogs entered in "herding events". They're eating our lunch.

Pearse

Pearse, I am not going to look... I am pretty sure this 10K is for "all" breeds? They may be eating but it's our leftovers.

Pearse

80 / 20, if you take the total number of dogs competing I would expect to see 80% running under AKC and other lower requirement venues, and 20% running under USBCHA. Kinda like the percentage of breeding quality pups in a really well bred litter, 80/20.

The only way to change the % is to lower the standards or to get the general border collie owner to raise their standards so that more pressure is placed on breeders to produce better dogs. When folks are willing to work with what ever they end up with it messes up the curve or the percentage of naturally good dogs compared to the number of average or less then stellar dogs.

80 / 20, if you take the total number of dogs competing I would expect to see 80% running under AKC and other lower requirement venues, and 20% running under USBCHA. Kinda like the percentage of breeding quality pups in a really well bred litter, 80/20.

Point is, who do people think of when someone talks about "herding" or "sheepdogs"? Is it going to be USBCHA/ABCA or is it going to be BCSA/AKC? It's trending towards the dark side.

Now a couple of people have worked hard to tilt the balance in the other direction. Heather Nadelman just finished her third broadcast of the National Finals and extended it this year to the Bluegrass. Hopefully, she's having enough success to keep it going. Anyone who has seen it thinks it's awesome. Denise Wall just completed the first in a series of videos explaining how a trial course relates to farm work. Ellen Nieslanik did an outstanding job publicizing the National Sheepdog Finals this year (as have the organizing committees in Virginia, Klamath, etc...)

Other people are working to educate the general public as to what real stockdogs can do. They need to be supported. Otherwise, "herding" will come to be defined as a Barbie Collie, some dog broke sheep, and a garden rake.

I've seen AKC people come to real trials, find that they are welcomed, find that they learn more and are challenged. Stay. Get a working dog as their next Border Collie. It can be done for some (not for the hard core conformation folks).

I understand what you're saying Pearse. I agree about all of the hard work people have put into this. And there IS a certain market for it, however, I think one of the main things that works against stockdog trials in general is that ... when done properly, it's like watching paint dry. And ... most city folks think their food comes from the grocery store, and most could care less how livestock is handled because they think it does not pertain directly to them.

I understand what you're saying Pearse. I agree about all of the hard work people have put into this. And there IS a certain market for it, however, I think one of the main things that works against stockdog trials in general is that ... when done properly, it's like watching paint dry. And ... most city folks think their food comes from the grocery store, and most could care less how livestock is handled because they think it does not pertain directly to them.

Except that's not true. I started a sheepdog trial six years ago. This year will be the fifth year it is held. People email me wanting to know the dates. They put it on their calendar for next year. We'll probably get between 500 and 1500 people come and watch the trial this year.

Soldier Hollow attracts 20,000 people over the weekend.

Meeker does well too.

Listen to Alasdair MacRae do commentary on a run and tell me it's like watching paint dry, or watch his semi-final run with Star. Watch James McGee and Becca in the World Trial Final.

As for people not wanting to know where their food comes from or how stock ought to be handled, I don't find that to be the case either. I've always found people interested when one takes the time to chat with them. I've spent many days under the tent at Kevin Bailey's trial in Jordan MN, across the road from the Co. Fair and people who have never seen stockdogs (or sheep for that matter some of them) wander over to see what's happening and end up spending half the day there because someone takes five minutes to explain what's going on, what the rules are, and why we do it.

It takes effort. It's worth it.

Pearse

<Devil's Advocate persona> Pearse. You are in rural America, believe it or not. Try getting folks in South Central LA to understand the nuances of sheepdog trialing, or anything about the relationship of handler, sheep and dog. Or better yet, folks in Orange County, CA, where I'm sure there are hundreds of AKC folk "trialing" with their Barbie Collies. They don't have a clue either, nor do they wish to have a clue.

We've come so far from our agrarian roots, I wonder if we can possibly re-educate people about them.

Amy

Archived