BC Boards

How are USBCHA trials sanctioned?

Since you are going to Free to Be Ranch - a few (hopefully) helpful tiips on watching from someone who has run there before but is not running this time.

First, the turn-off to the trial field is just about a mile East out of the town of Mountainair and can be easily missed if you are driving too fast. The biggest tip-off is you will likely see a bunch of trailers and RVs parked in the field. The access road off the main hwy is not short and it is narrow. If two decent sized trucks are going opposite directions one of you will need to pull to the side. If you are coming from Albuquerque my memory is that it is about a 2 hour one way trip.

Typically, Geri Abrams (owner/proprietor) has multiple events occurring simultaneously on multiple fields. Generally Open will get started first on one of the fields (no signs posted - just watch where everybody seems to be headed), and after several runs some of the sheep will be taken over to a different field for Open Ranch (equivalent of Pro-Novice). The Novice and Ranch classes typically take place in a smaller fenced field and use farm flock. But all of this can be going on with three trials running simultaneously so if you want to watch a bit of all of them you will need to be walking back and forth. And wear comfortable shoes because the ground on the fields is uneven.

Also if you wish to enjoy an adult beverage you can't buy one in Mountainair so get it before you arrive and bring with you.

It is a fun trial and typically you will see some very good handlers and dogs. I am not going this time but I do have friends using it as a tuneup for the Nationals to get their dogs some long outruns and practice on range ewes.

As for your comment about even willing to take a NQ I think that is referring to a "Qualifying Run" which is really a term used by other organizations. There are no "Qualifying" scores or runs at a USBCHA trial. Paradoxically you will find that even though the dogs and runs are generally better scores are lower than at other organizations because the judges tend to hold them to a higher standard. I think judges in other organizations at least subconsciously score higher so people can get their Q's (it helps a judge get hired again if more people get their Q's and Titles).

As for your comment about even willing to take a NQ I think that is referring to a "Qualifying Run" which is really a term used by other organizations. There are no "Qualifying" scores or runs at a USBCHA trial. Paradoxically you will find that even though the dogs and runs are generally better scores are lower than at other organizations because the judges tend to hold them to a higher standard. I think judges in other organizations at least subconsciously score higher so people can get their Q's (it helps a judge get hired again if more people get their Q's and Titles).

I remember scribing at an AHBA event that a friend was running her dog in, and I filled in to scribe. The judge was talkative (to the point of letting herself be distracted) and giving out horribly lenient scores. For instance, only taking off 1/2 point out of a potential 10 for a component of the course that the dogs were not doing at all successfully. Why? She didn't want to "discourage" the handlers.

That's not judging, and that's not doing anyone a real favor by not evaluating their run honestly. But it is making your judging and that trial (or any other trial that you might judge) very popular with the "title crowd".

Enjoy Free to Be - I've heard it's a super-good trial, and you will see some amazing work.

Boy, what a fun Saturday :D:D

We got up to "Free to be" about 8:00 or so (Its an 1 1/2 drive for us, and getting Hubby ready in the morning is like molasses on a cold day :rolleyes: )

Thank goodness I had taken x-tra cloth as the Temp was in the low 50 with a ever so slight drizzle.

Herbert Holmes was judging when we get there, we got to watch about 10 open runs with a about 600 yard outrun, I was in awe of the dogs:) Most of the handlers where heading up to the Nationals and used this trial as a tune-up I guess. I talked to soo many people that I - to my dismay - can not remember who all I talked to. But everyone was really helpful and nice.

Michelle McGuire was the "exhaust" person. I did manage to talk to her for a good while! One of my herding instructors was the "setout" person, I do not know how Mary Star , who must be at least 60, does it :)

After open came the Ranch classes, again I saw some really nice runs:)

I think there were only 2 novice runs.

It was pretty much done by noon!

Since we brought a bunch of food we sat and shared with Mary Star, her Hubby, Geri and Ken Ferrill and talked about the runs. It was a really a very nice day and I have a much better grasp on USBCA trialing now.

Archived