BC Boards

Whistle CD - Kent Kuykendall

KrisK

As a birthday gift to me...I bought the CD by Kent Kuykendall explaining whistles. On my drive to get my new ducklings, I popped in the CD, had my whistle with me, and tried my best to imitate the whistles I heard. I have to say, this is a great CD. He has a pleasant voice to listen to, and the whistles are clearly explained.

so...my biggest challenge right now - I can get the high pitches on my whistle but dang it..I can't get the lower to mid range.

Any suggestions??

LOL, no advice for you here - I can get the low notes just fine, it's the high notes that I'm really having to stretch to hit! I'm thinking it's that my plastic whistle really has a limited range, because I have pretty good control over it within the range I can manage (I can play Christmas carols and so forth). But I'd love to hear from others whether that's likely my issue.

I was thinking of asking for a Corian whistle for my birthday or for Christmas - anyone know whether that does, in fact, have a greater range (esp at the upper end) than a plastic whistle? Or should I just keep working on trying to hit the upper notes?

ETA: I second all the good things you say about this CD. I enjoyed it thoroughly. And it really helped a lot in watching subsequent trials - sure, not everyone uses the same commands, but I could definitely tell whether they were the same as Kent's, and I could also start to pick out the variations that handlers were using on each command to fit the situation.

That's the CD I used to learn to whistle. Don't worry, it will come. One thing I found that helped me is spending a bit of time blowing more than just whistle commands. I learned to whistledO Canada, Happy Birthday, and myriad Top 40 songs. By playing all kinds of songs on my whistle, I learned how to make more than just high and low notes, and as a side bonus annoyed the heck out of adjacent motorists!

I'm learning now to finger whistle, and again, I am torturing co-workers and neighbours with very iffy versions of songs.

Good luck with your whistles!

Archived