BC Boards

Eyesight in my new foster dog

D'Elle

Calleigh is my new foster dog, a lovely friendly strawberry-blond and white girl. She has very unusual eyes. One is blue, one brown, but of course that is not the unusual part. It appears that the pupils in both eyes are placed much too low, and the pupils are also not very well defined the way they are in most dogs.

Now, Calleigh doesn't know that she has compromised vision, but it is clear that she does. She gets around fine and of course doesn't know any better. But I notice that she turns her head in strange ways to look at something, and sometimes misses her target. Also, she will bark at a stranger, then get all friendly and happy with them once she meets them, only to start barking all over again when she sees them 5 minutes later. I attribute this to her lack of good eyesight, since I know she is basically friendly.

Anyone know how I can test her to find out anything about her vision that might help me to help her? If money were no object I would love to take her to a veternary opthamalogist. But I can't do that.

D'Elle

Thanks Julie and Nancy.

I do not see anything like merle on her....she is just straight blond-and-white. Sorry no photo, but don't have a camera at this time. Very interesting to hear that about the double merles, though. That is something I did not know. I like the idea of contacting Amazing Aussies, and think I will do that. They have a lot of experience with sight-impaired dogs, so I could learn a lot from them :-)

D'Elle

Archived