BC Boards

allergic reaction to rabies vaccination

KrisK

In order to travel to the US to visit my inlaws, I had to have Zachary vaccinated for rabies. Since Zachary is 17, and has health issues, my vet would not have vaccinated him if we weren't travelling over the border.

Well, within 90 minutes of the vaccination, Zachary started trying to scratch himself with both back legs at the same time, he was frantic, trying scratch, trying to walk, then started panting like he was having a seizure. This continued for the 30 minute ride back to the vet's office.

The vet is 99% certain he had a reaction to the vaccination so treated him with benadryl and a steriod shot. He said he wouldn't have expected an allergic reaction given that Zachary has had shots before albeit 3 years ago for rabies. Then again, this is Zachary, who seems to have many 'strange' health issues!

He's fine now, was a bit dopey, but ate and drank and doesn't seem to be itching any more.

Has anyone had this kind of reaction with their dogs after vaccinations?

Our Gyp had a mild case of anaphylactic shock after a vaccination when she was about 2 years old; he littermate had a swollen face after receiving the same vaccine. When we switched to a different manufacturer of vaccine she has had no issues. Every manufacturer has different ingredients in their vaccines in addition to the virus particles; the current literature suggests that most adverse reactions are to these other ingredients.

Just work for a vet but sounds like a vaccine reaction. Dogs often react to one brand of vaccine over another or have no reaction initially and then have a reaction to the same brand down the road. We have a slew of dogs, have only had two that I know of react, both to rabies. One just got mild puffy-face and the other, who is an allergic beast to begin with, got a hot spot that took quite a while to heal.

Archived