BC Boards

Sayings that capture sheepdog culture

Laurae

Hi all,

The local paper here is putting out a guide for the Finals for spectators, and I'm answering questions about the Finals and sheepdog trials and culture. Most of them have been simple enough to answer but I was wondering if anyone can help me with this one:

Are there any sayings that sum up a handlers relation to his/her dog, or why handlers compete, or what makes a good dog etc?

Does anyone have any ideas? I can't think of anything particularly inspired right now, so I need your help!

Thanks!

What about the quote from Nop's Trials that used to be on the front page of the parent website here? I don't remember it exactly--the one about working for the sheer joy of it--but maybe Eileen or someone else would.

J.

I hate that that is no longer on the website (at least not that I can find) as it's one of my favorites and I can never remember more than a word or two of it.

What about the quote from Nop's Trials that used to be on the front page of the parent website here? I don't remember it exactly--the one about working for the sheer joy of it--but maybe Eileen or someone else would.

J.

It's from Nop's Hope:

People often wonder just what trainers give the sheepdog in exchange for its boundless willingness. Food treats and praise sit on the trainer's shelf, untouched, unused. The sheepdog is shown its possibilities, he learns what life is like for a good dog and is invited to walk in a rational world whose farthest boundaries are defined by grace.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks; I've sent in a few. I just sent in this one, which I really like, posted by Jennifer C-E on facebook:

The working border collie: "Friendship without envy, Beauty without vanity, Nobility without conceit, A willing partner, yet no slave."

• 2 weeks later...

Archived