BC Boards

recently neutered dog question

KnottyClarence

I took back one of my puppies from my only litter today, five years after he went to his "forever home". I am very glad to have him back, even though the circumstances of his return were vague and disquieting.

Anyway, he was neutered 2 months ago, and my home dogs consist of 3 intact males and a spayed female. One of the intact males is a bit obsessed with humping the returnee, and has been sternly corrected for this behavior, but he still wants to do it. Has anyone had any luck stopping this short of just keeping them apart. The other two intact males treat him cordially and comfortably, with none of this annyoring behavior. The three males are this guy's father and two brothers, and the humper is a brother. The returnee just got here. When they were young littermates these two hung out together a lot. Will this simmer down?

My experience is that it is a pack order thing that eventually settles out. Intact male dogs have a simple view of the world....it's either a boy or a girl. If it's no longer a boy (ie neutered), then it must be a 'girl'. It tends to settle down after the new dog settles into the pack.

Archived