BC Boards

So Lovable and Kooky!

Two words: tap dancing.

It reaches a fever pitch when we get to where we teach, and Auntie Florence is pulling out a bag of cookies for him... Scorch sits expectantly and starts drumming his front feet on the ground, quivering with anticipation.

He also does his "bird call"... a trilling, "woowoooooo" that I'm dying to put on command but can't seem to capture.

Jody likes for me to sit in the kitchen and watch him eat. He is not at all protective of his food and will gladly let Bella or the cats eat from his bowl. He just has this idea that he needs me to watch him eat. If I leave the area he will pace between me and his bowl until I come back. Sometimes he does the woowoowoo until I come in and sit in the right spot. If I am not home he eats his food all by himself like a big boy.

Sweet, silly dog.

Congratulations Nansee on your new addition to the family and Welcome to the forum! Leila seems like such a calm, dignified pup in her photo :)

Vaporflowers that is so hilarious about the tap dancing and the woowooooo!

BN_here_b4 that is pretty unique about Jody wanting you to watch him eat. I think border collies are very quirky about wanting you within sight, not only to watch you but wanting you to watch them. Maybe that's why Jody wants you to watch him eat. Hmmmmm....

Maybe this is also why border collies are so good at agility?? who knows, but they seem to obsess about what their owners are up to as well as obsessing to make sure their owner is within sight.

Like if I have to take a shower, Eluane is terrified when she has to take a bath in that same shower tub, but always has to check up on me several times to make sure I'm o.k. and as the final gesture, she will come to the doorway with a toy too, lol, waiting for me to play afterwards. Who knows what goes through their minds, haha!

how about when they "protect" us from all kinds of monsters like plastic bags, boxing gloves, and coco puffs?

or how they're always asking "what are doing? Why are you doing that? How're you doing it? When are you doing it? But most importantly can I do it with you?"

Leila is perfecting the obsessing about our whereabouts and has already figured out that if someone goes to the door, she can see them out the front window. Today she heard someone set their car alarm across the street and thought it was my boyfriend. She went to the front door and sat there for a while looking really confused.

The other day we joked about if you could bottle "fomo" (fear of missing out) it would be her.

All that said she's not overly anxious, but just likes to supervise.

OK, this one is a little gross but not too bad... Yesterday Emma and Sirius were running around the backyard zooming from one end to the other when suddenly Emma came running in the house holding one paw up and yelping. I was thinking the worst when she ran up to me... So I picked her up carefully trying to calm her down because she was frantic!! Then I carefully looked at her "injured" paw.... She had stepped in poop and it was freaking her out :P. So we went back out to the backyard for a quick trip to the hose and her paw was good as new. I got a bunch of kisses and a wiggle butt little doggie. Then back to the zoomies with Sirius.

I don't think my other dogs even notice things like that....

The Ooze: sliding sideways onto the couch or you lap all casual like you won't notice 35 pounds of dog suddenly arriving on your lap.

The Sack of Doorknobs: the sound they make collapsing onto the floor before sleep

Are you describing my house? lol I jokingly call Leila a "herd of elephants" and she does the fish flop across the couch to wiggle in our lap.

Beauregard just loves when my sister comes to visit. If he hasn't seen her for awhile he will sit on the kitchen chair staring at the phone because he wants me to call her. I call her and say Beauregard wants to talk to you and then I put the phone to his ear and then he licks the receiver to send her some kisses.

Using strangers at the dog park to prolong the ball game must be a border collie thing, because my dog employs that strategy, too.

She also finds the laundry incredibly interesting, and knows the washer's chime. She runs over when she hears it, and if I am foolish enough to open the door, she shoves her head right in and wipes her face all over the formerly clean clothes. Because they smell better after she's done, right?

Both my dog and my mom's dog (we both have BCs, but hers is a fluffy red one) are experts at selective hearing. If we tell them something that they don't want to hear, or don't want to do, they will turn their faces away from the offending human and get a goofy look on their faces which seems to say "didn't hear you, can't obey."

We have noticed that our border collies seem to prefer the company of other herding dogs, and especially the company of other border collies.

My dog will huff at you if you deliberately misunderstand when she informs you that it's time to play ball. She will also puff up one side of her lip to register her disgust. We call it "giving me lip."

post-12206-088615500 1315198536_thumb.png

Archived