BC Boards

Lacee lost the fight.

Just after posting that Lacee was doing SO much better, she took a turn for the worse. All of a sudden, she started pacing back and forth and her whole body was shaking. I reached for the phone to call the vet, when it rang. It was him, phoning with the results of her biopsy. The tumor came back malignant. I told him what was going on and he said to bring her right in. He took one look at her and sent us to the ER Vet. Her small intestines were leaking from where they did the surgery. It seems, if the tumor is malignant, it's very hard to heal and they end up with fatal peritonitis, which we were told is about the most painful thing a dog can go through. The vet had warned me about the 3 - 5 day window after surgery when this could happen. Today was the 5th day. I was SO sure she was healed....we were getting ready for company to celebrate my birthday (which is today) and she was excited. She always knew when company was coming. So instead of receiving my best gift of all, Lacee surviving, I held her in my arms while she went to sleep. I can honestly say we tried our darndest to save her and she put up a great fight. It just wasn't meant to be. My poor husband actually cried, which surprised me. He hasn't cried since we lost our daughter 16 years ago. Lacee meant the world to him.

She was my girl, the best dog I've ever had. This is so hard. :(

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ohh, I'm so sorry.I can barely type through the tears. So hard to comprehend that they're actually gone. Gentle hugs and loving thoughts.

Pam

Oh, no, I am SO sorry to read this. Poor Lacee, you did everything you could for her, including letting her go with dignity. My thoughts are with you and your husband. Rest in peace, beautiful Lacee..

How sad. At least she had some happy time with you just before the end. That's all we can hope for, I guess.

I am so sorry, there are no words that can take the pain away. I was so hoping that she would win the fight. Lacee knew she was loved and cherished and that you had done everything you could for her. I am so very sorry...

Oh, Diane, I'm so sad to hear of your heartbreaking news. I've been sitting here in total shock. No matter how hard I try I can't even begin to form words, I just cannot believe Beautiful Lacee is gone. I CAN'T, I REALLY CAN'T!!!!!!

She seems like such a Sweetheart, such a little Angel. When she got home the first thing was running to your arms, doing her questioning little whine and whimpering and tailing you like a little Shadow, leaping into the car, waiting for her Dada to come home all the gentle puppy love expressions! And this should have been the happiest instead of the saddest birthday of all. but at least she did get to see her Dada and she waited as the true Angel that she was and you the Angel for her that believed and hoped and prayed for her, and who brought all the forumers together for you and her and her beloved human family. And just like you were there at her side, in the same way She will always be there for you. She knows this and so she can move through to Rainbow Bridge free from pain in a place where she can dance and do the "prancing Lacee" just filled with happiness and with the loving thoughts of you in her puppy heart...Diane, please light your birthday candles for your Birthday Star, little Lacee who'll continually sparkle with all the wonderful memories she brought to you and your husband's life and to the children. Sleep Sweetly, Sweet Angel Lacee!

Archived