BC Boards

Just when you thought you saw it all...

It seems unnecessary to both add that last comment (do you have an axe to grind?) and make this yet another bash the breeder thread. At least one person who has posted on this thread has steered a friend/neighbor to this breeder to buy a dog. If you can recommend a breeder to a friend or neighbor who needed a working dog, why then be hypocritical and bash them on a public forum?

Yes, this breeder sells a good number of puppies but she's far from a puppy mill (puppy mills don't do health checks, take back puppies sold at any time, take in many sheepdoggers washouts and give them away to good homes, and have tons of repeat puppy buyers last time I checked). But it's ok for Big Hats to breed every bitch they own in the off season so they can make some $$, right?

No axe to grind, more an expression of exasperation as to why other breeders disagree so strongly with someone's practices and yet continue to sell dogs to that person. If you don't agree with what someone is doing, don't sell them a dog.

I don't think it's ok for anyone to breed every single bitch just to make money. Others may disagree, but they are certainly entitled to their own opinions.

What "big hats" breed every single bitch in the off season? The ones I see who are breeding are breeding once so they can have a new stock dog. And any others in a litter are claimed well before they are born.

What "big hats" breed every single bitch in the off season? The ones I see who are breeding are breeding once so they can have a new stock dog. And any others in a litter are claimed well before they are born.

If they are breeding-worthy bitches, mated to the right dogs, and there are homes waiting for the pups (and the breeder wants the breeding to keep a pup), that's a far cry from mass-producing pups for the pet/performance/hobby-herding/just-about-anyone-with-the-money market (not referring any particular breeder, just the all-too-common mass-producing breeder). Making the good breedings is good for the breed - cranking out pups for all and sundry is not.

High volume (or puppy mill) breeders like the one discussed can tell a good story and find dogs where their reputation isn't known (ie other regions and UK) or frequently enough through 'contacts' (or 'front', 'mutually beneficial arrangement' or 'partner') who supply dogs to them. A dog/puppy can be sold to one person (aforementioned 'contact') and then flipped to a 'friend', 'student' or 'family member'....a wonderful home (nothing but the 'best!'), of course.

It is also curious that a person who runs at Novice level regularly advertises 'trained' dogs for sale.

In addition to people who *think* they are selling to someone responsible, I'm afraid there are also people with "good reputations" who really are not all that particular where they sell dogs and bitches. We've seen that often enough where some nice animals wind up with the likes of Swa**ord or MAH. Some people manage to amass quite a breeding kennel of well-pedigreed animals that way, and those dogs are often simply bred for the pet/performance/hobby-herding/AKC market, where the price is right. Unsold pups, returned pups/dogs, and so on can be sold for a lower price but I doubt at a loss. And that's not just gossip or hearsay, that's information from people who have purchased pups from certain breeders - and that's a mistake they will never repeat.

When it comes to dollars and cents, oftentimes people's true colors come to the forefront.

Disclaimer - none of these remarks are pointed at any particular breeders, they are just observations that may apply to a number of people who are legitimate quality breeders of proven working dogs or in the business of producing puppies for profit.

If Ive learned anything over the yrs, it is that breeding ''good'' dogs, just isnt good enough.....best leave it to the masters....those that have proven over time that they not only understand and have the time worn knowledge of breeding to produce a superior working dog, but they also and as well, have no compunctions taking thier product on the trial field and proving it, time and time again. They dont need fancy awards on thier sites, just their track records, and that, speaks for itself.....

Maybe I should have guessed it, but a perusal of several websites turn up "awards" very similar either in appearance or in concept to the one under discussion here. Several of these "awards" are prominently displayed on MAH's website, for instance. Most, if not all, seem to come from websites where puppies of all sorts can be advertised to the general public, just like this one.

Now I can see people like MAH, who seems to have little if any ethics, utilizing a misleading "award" to embellish their website (and also allow them to link to a non-discriminating advertising outlet for pup sales). But a particularly sad thing is that one or more of these breeders seem to be pretty good folks - but why would someone who seems otherwise to be a responsible, quality breeder, stoop to enhancing their website with a spurious "award"? I guess I just don't get it.

Other "awards" include "The Finest Border Collie Dog Breed Resource Award"; "Quality Breeder Site Award - 2011 - Five Star - Awarded to Top Quality Dogs and Puppies for Sale Site" (from PupCity); "All Pets Directory - Shining Star Award - Prestigious Breeder"; "Pets 4 You Website Award"; and more too numerous to list - these, plus the "award" that is the center of this topic, are all on MAH's website - where all her multiple litters that are on the ground or in the oven are sold.

Obviously, this sort of "award" sells pups - at least to the gullible and easily impressed, and the ignorant. All I can say is that I am shaking my head with a combination of disbelief and disgust.

This seems to parallel the proliferation of "registries" that will "register" anything and everything ("even your mixed breed puppy") because "a registered dog is a more valuable dog" - or some other form of poop-ola. This sort of "registry" is just as spurious as this sort of "award", and just as meaningless.

Archived