BC Boards

Just when you thought you saw it all...

I went to the website for a large volume Border Collie breeder, just to check a reference on a bitch-in-pup that she was selling, and came across a prominently-displayed "ethical breeder award". So, having a moment (or two) to kill, I went to the website to see how this "pretigious award" was given. Here it is (emphases mine):

Dog Breeder Award Application for Ethical Breeders

Unlike other breeder awards, TrainPetDog.com's Ethical Dog Breeder Award is awarded to only the select few breeders who stand out in their field. Once earned, the award will signify to everyone that you are well-known for your ethical breeding practices and will set you apart from other breeders. The award will also connect you to the more than 10,000 visitors who visit our site every day and the more than 400,000 subscribers who receive our weekly newsletter. They too will understand that you take great care in the breeding of your dogs.

Please fill in the form below as and you will win the award:

Type of Breed:* Please Select Pure Mixed Multiple Breed...(choose from a list of breeds)...

Your Contact Details:

Company/Kennel Name: *

Contact Name: *

Email Address: *

Website URL: *

And then you go to:

Thank you for your application for the Ethical (your breed) Breeder Award .

Here is the code that you can put up on your website to display the award...

Just right-click on the box below and click on "Copy" from the menu that appears.

Then you can use the Paste menu on your code to add this to your website.

So this is how one obtains the "prestigious" "ethical breeder award". Nice to know that this is such a discriminating group when it comes to recognizing merit, and that this CT breeder of large numbers of puppies finds it a validation of her program as an "ethical breeder"...

This "award" makes me think of those mailings you get, you know - "Who's Who in _____". All you have to do is send in your check and you are in the next book of the "most prestigious ______" in the US. Pure and utter bunkum!

But, sadly, people fall for this all the time - and for this particular "award", a very simple Google search reveals just how meaningless it is.

And, did you notice that it's not just about purebred dogs, either - you can be a breeder of "pure", "mixed", or "multiple breeds". That's right, an "ethical breeder award" for someone who produces mixed breeds.

And, of course, anyone who goes to this website can be directed to you as a source of pups, so it's another marketing tool on your website and through their website.

It's a never-ending problem...

I guess the breeder rightfully figures that most people will accept the award at face value. Sigh.

J.

Like many "titles", some people will never see past the cute little rosette on a breeder's website but will see it as the "Good Dogbreeding Seal of Approval" (my play on an old consumer standby).

Like many "titles", some people will never see past the cute little rosette on a breeder's website but will see it as the "Good Dogbreeding Seal of Approval" (my play on an old consumer standby).

By the way, I am now officially "King of Everything".

Just thought you should be made aware of that so you could act accordingly.

I'm assuming it's the same as the rules regarding the Queen, and I will try to remember and not touch you next time we meet - oh, and polish up on my curtsey!

Sue,

I knew exactly who you were referencing when you mentioned that they were located in CT, and it is thoughtful of you to refer to this operation as a "large volume Border Collie breeder" (another term comes to my mind).

This "prestigious" "ethical breeder award" is absolutely ludicrous, and I agree with Julie that most puppy shoppers will accept it as something of real significance. The appeal to prospective puppy purchasers because of this "award" is comparable to that of Border Collie breeders who tout the champions that appear way back in the pedigrees of their produce.

I agree that these are simply marketing tools.

Regards,

nancy

Glad to meet you, your Highness. I've been the Empress of the Universe for quite some time. My friends may address me as 'Your Luminosity'.

srsly, it's just buying a title. Very sad, that a lot of people will not see the snake oil for what it is.

Ruth

I'm with Nancy and Julie: I guessed them right away!

This "award" is really, really pathetic.

To reiterate the message in a post I made a couple of weeks ago: there are great breeders, who really seek to improve all that is best in this breed, and there are breeders to avoid. You can't take everything you see at face value. (Nor, by the way, should you assume that people who advertise in "place X" must be OK; you really should pay attention to the fact that "Place X" may offer specific disclaimers about the breeders who advertise there). If you're considering purchasing a pup from a breeder, ASK. Someone from these Boards will be sure to PM you with some information that you may wish to weigh in making your decision.

What's really sad is that it was obvious who you were talking about, and yet people keep selling dogs to that breeder...

It seems unnecessary to both add that last comment (do you have an axe to grind?) and make this yet another bash the breeder thread. At least one person who has posted on this thread has steered a friend/neighbor to this breeder to buy a dog. If you can recommend a breeder to a friend or neighbor who needed a working dog, why then be hypocritical and bash them on a public forum?

Yes, this breeder sells a good number of puppies but she's far from a puppy mill (puppy mills don't do health checks, take back puppies sold at any time, take in many sheepdoggers washouts and give them away to good homes, and have tons of repeat puppy buyers last time I checked). But it's ok for Big Hats to breed every bitch they own in the off season so they can make some $$, right?

I agree, it's a stupid internet breeder certificate...that's what this thread is about right?

Yes, the topic is about a meaningless, so-called award - and someone who has something as meaningless as that on their website (through which they sell puppies) is saying something about their standards and veracity, IMO. And not something positive, no matter who that breeder might be.

How would someone feel about dealing with (for instance) an auto repair shop that prominently displayed an "award" for being "An Ethical Auto Repair Shop" that they (and anyone else) could simply download from a website? Would that inspire your confidence in that repair shop if you knew they were validating their repair business with a meaningless "award" displayed for all to see?

It was my error to mention "CT" as a location - without that, none of this breeder-specific discussion might ever have arisen.

Now, as to the reference -

At least one person who has posted on this thread has steered a friend/neighbor to this breeder to buy a dog. If you can recommend a breeder to a friend or neighbor who needed a working dog, why then be hypocritical and bash them on a public forum?

You should be aware of the facts (not "second-hand gossip", as someone not participating here has reminded some of the rest of us involved in this topic) - a farmer asked a person (one of the respondents here) a year or so ago for a list of breeders, and a list was sent. This breeder *was not recommended* but was on that list, with the caveat to the farmer that he needed to research himself before he made any purchase decisions. You can bet your booties that the person who supplied the list will never, ever give a listing of resources without removing those she could not personally recommend.

Here, in her own words:

There is someone in this area who asked where he could buy a Border Collie, so I sent him a list of breeders...I feel that people have to do their own screening of breeders, so I don't "pre-screen" the lists that I send to people who ask...The local guy told me a while ago that he likes the pup he got from [this breeder], but he doesn't have any dogs to compare it to, so who knows what the pup is like...I do give people some input about what they should look for in a breeder, but it is up to them to ask the right questions...Thanks for your input about me prescreening my referrals, and you make a good point.

As you can see, your comment put a different spin on what actually happened, and you are not the first person to do so.

Hello everyone,

CLW1 wrote:

"At least one person who has posted on this thread has steered a friend/neighbor to this breeder to buy a dog. If you can recommend a breeder to a friend or neighbor who needed a working dog, why then be hypocritical and bash them on a public forum?"

I am wondering how CLW1 would know this?

Regards,

nancy

If you can recommend a breeder to a friend or neighbor who needed a working dog, why then be hypocritical and bash them on a public forum?

I think Sue has already corrected this but just to reiterate - it was not a recommendation.

Yes, this breeder sells a good number of puppies but she's far from a puppy mill (puppy mills don't do health checks, take back puppies sold at any time, take in many sheepdoggers washouts and give them away to good homes, and have tons of repeat puppy buyers last time I checked).

I suppose that depends on your interpretation of a puppymill. You could be *factually* correct with what you wrote. However, can you clarify wrt taking back pups? Is there a guarantee? If so and a pup fails do you get a refund? Or a replacement? And what about breedings with known health issues, breedings after the fact? And these washouts are they placed or *sold*, big difference (here's that warm and fuzzy rearing it's ugly head)? As for all the health checks, any responsible breeder will do what is necessary, above and beyond is trending into KC mentality imo. And lastly, what breeder are you speaking of?

Hello again everyone,

CWL1 also wrote:

"Yes, this breeder sells a good number of puppies but she's far from a puppy mill...."

Well, that would depend on one's definition of a puppy mill. My definition of a puppy mill is someone who produces large numbers of puppies for the purpose of making money, ie: producing lots of puppies for profit.

I do not know how many puppies are being produced by this breeder (and keep in mind that this breeder has not been publicly identified in this thread), but when I see multiple litters continually advertised on any breeder's website, I think puppy mill. Big Hats, Little Hats, No Hats.....if a large number of puppies are being produced to make money, to me, that's a puppy mill.

Regards,

nancy

Archived