BC Boards

This midwest pup needs a new heart

If you can help, pass it on, or give useful advice, please do! You can find out more info here -

http://www.facebook.com/pages/​Journeys-Benefit-for-a-Better-​Heart/233620296668479?ref=noti​f&notif_t=fbpage_fan_invite&sk​=wall

Journey's Benefit for a Better Heart

Journey is a 5 month old border collie who was bought from a local breeder and then returned due to a heart defect. The breeder was unable/unwilling to treat him so I went and picked him up. The next few months will be a critical time for Journey as I need to raise money and get him treated. His surgery was estimated to be between $2200 and $2400. In the next few days a donation page will be posted. Any donations or advice anyone can offer Journey will be very much appreciated. Without this surgery, Journey will die. With his gentle and loving temperament, Journey has a future of being a possible therapy dog... My goal for him will be to give back to the community that will ultimately save his life.

thanks for looking,

Tammy

post-7632-029927100 1311049335_thumb.jpg

She is putting up a page for donation's soon. If you go to the link in my post you can keep track of when it is done and keep track of Journey's progress, and ask her any questions you might have. Thanks for asking! Isn't he adorable. Love his ears! He is actually a tri colored BC, just can't tell in that picture.

Tammy

Hello everyone,

Good questions, Olivia. I would add to the list of questions by asking if this pup is with a legitimate rescue organization?

Regards,

nancy

I'm definitely not getting a warm and fuzzy about this. It appears it is not a rescue but an individual who took this pup on knowing full well the situation. This based on the info on FB or lack thereof. What part of the country is he in and who's the breeder?

Hi Karen,

There are a lot of "red flags" in this request for me, too. The Facebook information is minimal, and not much is there other than some cute photos of a darling puppy. This could be nothing more than a scam to get caring people to send money.

If this is truly a legitimate request for assistance, then a fund should be set up with the veterinary practice that will be doing the surgery. People should send then their "donation" to that fund, rather than to the person with the puppy.

Regards,

nancy

I haven't said anything about this, not wanting to be a grumpy old pessimist, but I just don't think I know anyone who would (even with the absolutely best intentions) put out requests for total strangers to donate money for something like this.

I guess the rescues and rescue people I know only take on something that they know they can either pay for outright, already have donation resources for, or have a relationship with a vet where it can be discounted and/or paid for over time.

Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't think of soliciting money from people to help one of my dogs. As someone in rescue pointed out, that amount of money would pay for the vet screening, vax, and neuter/spay of about 10 healthy dogs and pups.

This may have been done with the best of intentions (and I hope it was) and that pup tugs at my heartstrings (not only because makes me think so much of my dear Skye), but it's not something I would do.

I can understand your skepticism (although I can't understand someone calling this great little guy a wet blanket, or maybe you were just referring to the whole situation). I'm sure I would feel the same if I didn't know. The lady who rescued him is Kelsey Nelson, she is the President of the St. Louis Disc Dog Association. She is the one who created the web page. She is not a rescue organization. Journey was bought from a breeder, who I don't know, and when the people who bought him found out he had a heart defect, they tried to take him back to the breeder who would not take him back (yes, they should be shot). Kelsey stepped in and took him home and is keeping him. I know her through my own disc dog association, the Kansas City Disc Dog Association. If any of you would like to make direct contact with her I can get you an email, phone number, or whatever you would like. I am not sure who the Vet is but I will find out today and post the information.

For those of you who are interested, here is the latest update on him -

Vet Visit on July 21st, 2011- Today the vet started of with a good prognosis. He listened to the murmur and said it was consistent with PDA (Patent ductus arteriosis) with the sound of the murmur and the place that he heard the problems. After learning about the situation he went ahead and did a count on his oxygen level which gave him a reading between 81-90% (he said is was a little low). He then went ahead and did x-rays and said sometimes they will show the factors of PDA. He came back with news I was not expecting. Journey's heart is already enlarged and has edema (fluid) in his lungs. He said that Journey has a good chance if the surgery is done quickly. The x-rays did show factors of PDA as well. He put Journey on Lasix to help keep the fluid from developing in his lungs.

You can donate now also if you want. This is the link. For those of you who can't, or dont' want to donate, please just keep good thoughts for him. He will have the surgery, she is just asking for help to pay for it. She is young and works at the Humane society and just doesn't make enough to do it all on her own. I'm sure she would if she could. I think she said it is 2400.00, not a whole lot and in my opinion, a small enough amount to keep him alive. And btw, she, as well as all of my friends at the KCDD, do donate to rescues and we have an annual dog day in Oct. every year to raise money and take food donations for non-kill shelters. We love all dogs and hope that every single one of them can find a happy forever home.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=7CaiTkYhkICWLsz7uj0nSAefYB-c582ee1VhdfCA2Uh7rdV7DFLbgW3iszm&dispatch=5885d80a13c0db1f8e263663d3faee8deaa77efc63a6eb429928d42bdf5d9d2c

thanks,

Tammy

Here is the Vet info -

the vet who saw him is Dr. David Hart. The phone number is (314) 432-1150.. The clinic is VCA Bal-Coeur Animal Hospital... They were awesome in helping in everything they could possibly do. Unfortunaly they are unable to perform that kind of surgery there. VSS in St Louis is doing the actual surgery. Their number is 636-227-9400. Journey will go there next week for an EKG and then they will schedule the surgery.

Hi Tammy,

Thank you for the additional information about the puppy and the person who currently has him. I am sure that many people will contribute toward the cost of the surgery, but I imagine that you can understand how some people would be skeptical of this request (myself included). My best wishes for a good outcome for this little guy, and your friend is to be commended for wanting to help him.

Regards,

nancy

I can understand your skepticism (although I can't understand someone calling this great little guy a wet blanket, or maybe you were just referring to the whole situation).

Just to clarify, I called myself a wet blanket, for voicing the opinion that putting the dog to sleep would be a better option than such an expensive operation, the revalidation proces will be hard on the dog (if he survives in the first place) and an owner that obviously can´t pay for it.

NB. If he is getting the operation, I will send good thoughts his way ;)

Hello Everyone,

My name is Kelsey Nichols. I am the individual who has Journey. I got on here because I love border collies as I have 2 of my own and obviously you have heard about Journey. I got on because I knew the original poster would have had a rough time and I understand the questioning about the situation. I am an individual, not a non profit group; although my group (St. Louis Disc Dogs) is submitting an application to become nonprofit hopefully by next month. THis is the from facebook that some of you have read that I have recently updated since Journey had his echocardiogram today:

Journey is border collie, born on 3-14-2011, who was bought from a local breeder and then returned due to a heart defect. The breeder was unable/unwilling to treat him so I went and picked him up. The next few months will be a critical time for Journey as I need to raise money and get him treated. His surgery was estimated to be between $2200 and $2400. In the next few days a donation page will be posted. Any donations or advice anyone can offer Journey will be very much appreciated. We are also planning a car wash benefit in the next few months complete with raffles and entertainment. Without this surgery, Journey will not live very long. With his gentle and loving temperament, Journey has a future of being a possible therapy dog... My goal for him will be to give back to the community that will ultimately save his life.

Vet Visit on July 21st, 2011- Today the vet started of with a good prognosis. He listened to the murmur and said it was consistent with PDA (Patent ductus arteriosis) with the sound of the murmur and the place that he heard the problems. After learning about the situation he went ahead and did a count on his oxygen level which gave him a reading between 81-90% (he said is was a little low). He then went ahead and did x-rays and said sometimes they will show the factors of PDA. He came back with news I was not expecting. Journey's heart is already enlarged and has edema (fluid) in his lungs. He said that Journey will has a good chance if the surgery is done quickly. The x-rays did show factors of PDA as well. He put Journey on Lasix to help keep the fluid from developing in his lungs..

Vet visit with VSS in St. Louis on 7-29-11 with Dr. Marshall- Journey went in today for his echocariogram. The doctor came in, asked about his history, look at his records I had and asked about the whole situation. She then took Journey back for his echo which took about 20 minutes. I was so nervous sitting in that room! I was so scared she would come back in and say Journey was too far gone or his heart was too bad and it was not worth having the surgery done. She came back and said that the lasix, which Dr. Hart put him on did its job and his lungs were clear. Had he not done the xrays and put Journey on the medications, Journey would not still be here today. She continued on to say that she found no other defects except a large PDA (which Dr. Hart had found in the xrays). She reconfirmed that Journey was in COngestive heart failure and that while surgery needed to happen now, she is confident in doing the surgery that she was about to suggest. She then explained to me the 2 options. Option 1 bring open heart surgery. THe surgeons (not her) go in through the left side of the chest and go in using intervenous tubes to fix the pda. However they have to go through a layer ( I am sorry I cant remember if it was tissue or not) that contain 2 massive vessels that if they tore, it was almost promised that Journey would die there on the table. Option 2- Dr. Marshal herself would use a catheter to go up the femoral artery to the vessels causing the pda and put in a block to permanently fix the pda. Both surgeries of course have their complications and after she explained them I asked her if she was confident about me going through with the rest of the donations and Journey's prognosis. She nodded her head and said that despite his current state and the complications she had plenty of confidence that he would pull through this surgery and live a normal life. She said however she only held this confidence if the surgery was done immediately and then told me that she would offer to do the procedure at cost. She also said Journey needed to be on other medications that were very expensive and donated both of those medications to me as well. Dr. Marshall has scheduled Journey's surgery for August 3rd, 2011. She told me if I was not able to come up with at least 50% of the funds by then that we would have to push it back until the 24th of August (she is only able to do these surgeries 1 time a week and had another already scheduled for the week of the 17th).

I asked VSS if people could donate directly to the vet clinic on behalf of Journey. She said that people could call to confirm that Journey had the appointment for the surgery but they could not donate directly to the clinic. They used to do that before and after a legal problem occurred, they stopped doing it. As for just putting Journey out of his misery, I was assured by all vets who have seen Journey that he is not suffering in any way and with this surgery he will lead a full, healthy and normal life. If there were enough concern that Journey would suffer after surgery I would not be doing all this. THe fact is this sweet boy can only have this chance with the surgery. Again I understand some people questioning it, I can't say that I wouldn't either. If you need proof so that you are comfortable sharing Journey's story or donating feel free to cal Dr. Hart at VCA Bal Cour at (314) 432-1150 or Dr. Marshall at 636-227-9400. Thank you to everyone who has offered kind words of encouragement and I am glad I am finally a part of a border collie forum. You all have some beautiful borders!!!

post-12506-015239200 1311984822_thumb.jpg

post-12506-045941600 1311984840_thumb.jpg

post-12506-034381100 1311984880_thumb.jpg

When my first BC needed chemo treatments, my friends held an agility benefit fun day. Raised around $600 IIRC. You don't need to be a non-profit to do this. Just tell people what you're doing. Agility people love fun days to practice and will gladly pay to help you out as part of it.

When my first BC needed chemo treatments, my friends held an agility benefit fun day. Raised around $600 IIRC. You don't need to be a non-profit to do this. Just tell people what you're doing. Agility people love fun days to practice and will gladly pay to help you out as part of it.

Great idea Rave. They are having a benefit August 7th for him, dog washes and nail trims, but I am going to see if the agility community where I practice would be willing to do this. Thanks!

Tammy

• 3 weeks later...

Archived