BC Boards

Modogomy....

Topics like this scare my husband, we live in a small house, with a small yard, in a town, and 2 dogs fit perfectly, BUT even he has acknowledged when Brody is old there could be a young-un making 3. But then according to board logic that would still only be 2 as he would be old and retired. The upside to sticking with 2 is we can have the occasional foster dog or house guest to stay.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is so timely, as I was just discussing this with a classmate. Currently I have 6 dogs, but not really ... because the WooTWoo are onedogsamedog, so that's 5 dogs really. And Spring belongs to TWooie, not to me, so I actually only have 4 dogs, even though there are 5 in the house. But Spring fits *underneath* Dexter, and therefore takes up no extra space (think nesting end tables), thus there really are just 4 dogs. 4's not so bad. Definitely not as crazy as 6. Good thing I don't have 6 dogs.

Everyone gets along in my house pretty well except for Dexter and TWooie, who loathe one another. Nothing I can do about it. You'd have to stab me to death to take Dexter away from me, and TWooie is joined at the hip to his brother Woo, so they either both stay or both go, and neither of them are going. But my dogs have been endlessly patient (if sometimes snarky, and frequently annoyed) by the endless parade of foster dogs coming through over the last 12 years or so. They seem to like one another's company well enough, even if they aren't snuggly or anything with each other.

And back to the original topic ... I may have misssed something, but just wondering if there is a reason you have to go from mixed breed dog to purchased working bred puppy? Are you planning to get into stockdog work (and if so, prepare for a lot more dogs)? If you volunteer with a rescue, don't you have the inside track to adopt a nice drivey real deal border collie if you're looking for a second companion dog?

RDM

Luke was an only dog for four years -- While he got along fine with other dogs, he never really cared for them and he certainly doesn't think that HE is a dog. He was raised around horses, so if he thinks he is anything other than human, it would be a horse. That's where he learned his grazing habit that continues to this day (and has been passed on to the other dogs).

I did worry about how Luke would react to a second dog "disrupting" our lives. We lived a very happy existence, the two of us. But my desire for a second dog (because once you get hooked on agility, one dog is simply not enough!) trumped my concern for Luke's feelings.

We had an adjustment period. Luke was, as I figured, NOT happy about the new addition. He sulked for over a month, and then he got over it. Kaiser has always adored Luke -- Luke more or less tolerated Kaiser.

One of the reasons I ended up getting Secret was because I thought Kaiser would really benefit from having a dog in the house who would actually PLAY with him. That plan worked out quite well -- Kaiser & Secret play all the time and more or less leave Luke alone. So everyone is happy!

If you volunteer with a rescue, don't you have the inside track to adopt a nice drivey real deal border collie if you're looking for a second companion dog?

RDM

Great idea!

Paula the key is to name them all the same! Then you never have more than 1 :)

Another great idea! ;)

Oooohhhh, I wish I could make a dog not count in my total. Since Shoshone is the work of any three dogs, does that mean that including Gibbs I've got 4?

And I didn't come up with that description of Mrs. Huffington. A couple very dog savvy friends told me that, when I was whining once about how much of my energy she took/takes. "Jeez," said a rescuer who routinely had 3 of her own dogs plus varying levels of fosters in her home at all times. "Shonie would make ME want to give up rescue some days!"

Gibbs makes me look really good as a dog owner, though! We were very lucky to get him.

Ruth

And back to the original topic ... I may have misssed something, but just wondering if there is a reason you have to go from mixed breed dog to purchased working bred puppy? Are you planning to get into stockdog work (and if so, prepare for a lot more dogs)? If you volunteer with a rescue, don't you have the inside track to adopt a nice drivey real deal border collie if you're looking for a second companion dog?

RDM

As I said in a previous thread that went *POOF* into the ether, there are a couple of things I want from a new pup.

a] a pup. I really think the first several months are crucial to good training and socialization.

b] to know the bitch and sire and see how they work/act/get along with others

c] once I've made up my mind, I don't want to have to wait forever or jump at the drop of the hat. I live in AZ and, really, I haven't seen a lot of BCs come in to our rescue from working backgrounds...much less pups.

The virtues of rescue are not lost on me. Every animal in our house is a rescue (even the Desert Tortoise) I just want tabula rasa....and I want it to be GOOD slate.

LOL.

First I had one Border Collie. Now I have two. Then I traded in my sporty car for a wagon to haul them around in. And I am planning on buying a farm to have sheep for them.... :blink:

Spoiled dogs.... :P

As my husband says, it's a slippery slope...thankfully, we all ready had the farm.

Bear wanted Meg just as much as I did. He was very lonely for another dog after his sister died. He turned back into his old self (mostly) and was much happier after I brought Meg home. He loves having her around, though he rarely plays with her. They like to go running off-leash together (Bear tries his hardest to keep up) and they love to search for scents together.

Meg is a rescue. My mother did kind of feel like I was 'trading up' getting a 'better' dog than Bear. I didn't see it that way though. While Bear has plenty to offer, there were things that I wanted to do with a dog that I could not do with Bear because of his age and his personality. When he was the only dog that could go walk with us, my sister and I were wearing him out which wasn't really fair to him.

Bear is great for relaxing walks and playing in the lake or creek. He cuddles, eats anything, and usually has a smile on his face. He's an old dog who likes doing his same old tricks. Learning new tricks is not his favorite thing. He doesn't usually like to play with toys with me; toys are for independent chewing and licking. Retrieving is only for special rare occasions. Riding in the car is tolerable, but not something he enjoys. He's kind of a bully when he first meets other dogs. He has bad hips and mild arthritis so can only take so much activity.

Meg is nearly opposite. She's very active, loves learning, is eager to please, does well with other dogs in some situations, and loves toys, agility and Frisbee. She loves riding in the car and going places. She can be reactive so walking her in our neighborhood is far from relaxing (working on it), she doesn't care to play in water unless its really hot out, and she's shy of new people.

Meg and I do a lot together without Bear: agility classes, fun classes, trips to the dog park, or just running errands. Bear stays home and has some 'alone' time with the other people in the house. He gets to go on walks without Meg. He quite enjoys that and she doesn't mind. We all go on off-leash walks together and trips to the creek or lake. We all spend time together at home, playing, visiting, and lounging.

Both dogs are unique and perfect and I wouldn't have it any other way.

When I had three dogs, it was the same. Based off what the dogs each enjoyed most, I did different things with different dogs, or some things with all three dogs or just two.

I had just one dog for a couple of years, and amazing neighbors who stepped in and helped out when I worked long hours, etc. Indy was happy as an only dog (among numerous cats), but he had plenty of play opportunities with my neighbor's dogs. But when I decided to move from Fredericksburg, I didn't want Indy, friend to the whole world, to no longer have playmates, so I decided it was time for a second dog (what is it we tell people about not getting a pet for your pet? lol!). I got Willow from Appalachian Mountain BCR. She was extremely shy and completely unsocialized--a perfect foil for Indy! I loved Indy dearly (he died last year at age 17), and I love Willow as much as I did him, but in a different way and for different reasons (in some respects).

It sort of ran out of control from there. The most I've had at one time is 10. But I can cut that number down if I don't count the very old or the very young. And I never include the guard dogs in that number. ;)

Anyway, if you have space in your home for a second (or X many more) dog, then your heart will always make room for the extras. That's just the way it works....

J.

Anyway, if you have space in your home for a second (or X many more) dog, then your heart will always make room for the extras. That's just the way it works....

J.

Space is definately an issue. Small home (1300 ft2) and postage stamp yard. We have plenty of unfenced desert and park land to run so the yard isn't such an issue (Cerb has great recall and isn't a "runner"). My wife was on the realty websites last night looking for something bigger and near Cosmo dog park....now if the money fairy would just visit.

I'm holding out fot a mini farm with a couple of acres.

Space is definately an issue. Small home (1300 ft2) and postage stamp yard.

ha ha ha. My little farm house is like 600 square feet or something ridiculous. They're all crammed under my desk all the time anyway.

RDM

Sam, do you know about the sheepdog pups ABCR gets from the Parks ranchers?

I think I remember those a while back. Is that a recurring source? If so, I may see if we can take one or two next litter...if we don't already have a foster.

ha ha ha. My little farm house is like 600 square feet or something ridiculous. They're all crammed under my desk all the time anyway.

RDM

Didn't I hear about you on NPR yesterday? :P

Space is definately an issue. Small home (1300 ft2) and postage stamp yard. We have plenty of unfenced desert and park land to run so the yard isn't such an issue (Cerb has great recall and isn't a "runner"). My wife was on the realty websites last night looking for something bigger and near Cosmo dog park....now if the money fairy would just visit.

I'm holding out fot a mini farm with a couple of acres.

We had seven dogs and four cats (and sometimes more if we had a foster) in 1000 sq. ft. and a postage stamp yard (full of mud since all the grass was trampled off). They all mostly hung out with us in the living room.

Last Dec., we moved (in the proverbial transition that seems to be part of Border Collie trickery). The new house is more the twice the size of the other one and yet, they still all mostly hang out in the living room with us.

I'm a pretty firm believer that you (the rhetorical you) can make work whatever you decide is worth making work.

I suspect your second dog is not far away...

I'm not sure how big the CarsonCrazies house is--seems fairly roomy--but I can attest to the fact of the tininess of her yard, and yet 6 dogs manage there just fine. Just sayin'. ;)

ETA: I was just ruminating on how spacious things seemed here. Then I realized that six of the dogs were outside. :lol:

J.

They've been recurring in the past (I believe annually, or nearly so) but I don't know current status. They've typically been snapped up before ever making an appearance on the website. Three from the last litter were adopted this past spring (Natalie, Emily and Martie). Maybe talk to the bosses about your interest. They each have one from past litters.

I'm not sure how big the CarsonCrazies house is--seems fairly roomy--but I can attest to the fact of the tininess of her yard, and yet 6 dogs manage there just fine. Just sayin'. ;)

My house is pretty small - 1265 sf - though the white walls, white carpet, and lofted ceilings give the illusion of space. That and not overcrowding with furniture. Oh, and living alone helps too. :D

Julie is right - my yard is equally tiny, and I do manage six dogs, plus the occasional 2-3 visitors just fine. It isn't ideal, but then I only had one dog when I bought my house. I keep thinking that any time now the housing market will improve so that I can sell, but so far no dice.

Having only two dogs in my house was more or less barely noticeable, comparatively speaking. :blink:

Yeah, you know, I find having 4 dogs in the house (~1500 sf) no issue at all. And one of those is 50 lbs. The only pain in the ass times are when we try to go outside, and 3 out of the 4 dogs think it's a race, both to get to the door first, and then out the door first. Oh, and when all 4 try to sleep with us. Only then is it really noticeable. :D

^^LOl! Sometimes I feel like I'm being swept along in a mosh pit when I head to the door. And it does get old having to push three dogs over so I can get a sliver of space in my own bed. Pip is the worst offender. You'd think the fact that I make him move every night would finally sink in and he'd start out on his side to begin with, but apparently his brain doesn't work that way.

J.

^^LOl! Sometimes I feel like I'm being swept along in a mosh pit when I head to the door. And it does get old having to push three dogs over so I can get a sliver of space in my own bed. Pip is the worst offender. You'd think the fact that I make him move every night would finally sink in and he'd start out on his side to begin with, but apparently his brain doesn't work that way.

J.

The mosh pit to the door--love it. Exactly what it's like (and here I thought I was just unable to instill a calm approach because I can't get no respect). The worst for me is that both of *my* dogs are simultaneously loud mouths and have hair trigger radars for any sign that we "might" be going to the door. What a merry band! :D

The worst bed hogs in our house are without question the cats, though.

The mosh pit to the door--love it. Exactly what it's like (and here I thought I was just unable to instill a calm approach because I can't get no respect). The worst for me is that both of *my* dogs are simultaneously loud mouths and have hair trigger radars for any sign that we "might" be going to the door.

Oh, man, EXACTLY. Thank God it's not just us. If you and Julie have the same "fun" at your houses, then I feel in very good company. :P

Just this morning, I was just admiring the grooves left by the Indy 500 charge to the door (and to stay on point, I am sure that one dog would cause just as much damage to the floor as three .... eventually). When I did my reno, it was suggested I leave the stairs uncarpeted. The thought of the vet bills to repair all those blown cruciates .... we have carpeted stairs. smile.gif

Archived