BC Boards

Prayers for Lacee

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm so sorry. But, if Lacee's in pain, you're doing the best you can. At least we can help our pets. It hurts us, but it's what we can offer as our last gift of love.

A risky surgery is not necessarily a gift. If they can't offer a really positive outcome, it's too big a risk. I'm sure the operating room and strangers and anesthesia are terrifying. My elective surgeries were bad enough. And I was able to understand the what and why.

Heck, after my mother's heart attack (she was 88), the medical staff in ICU said we could try dialysis for her failed kidneys, then surgery, and surgery for her failed intestinal tract, then try heart surgery. I asked what the chances were. They said they were not all that good. If everything did work, she'd be on dialysis every other day, have a colonospy bag that she'd have to empty regularly, and be in a wheelchair. That was the best! Most likely, she'd die in one or another surgery. As she wasn't conscious, my brother and I - over the phone - agreed to Do Not Resuscitate. It was hard. But it was the best we could do. Took years for my mother's two sisters to forgive me.

A veteran coworker of mine, retired a few years ago, had a series of strokes recently, resulting in one major brain surgery followed by another major bleed. Her two sons had to make this call last Wednesday morning, opting not to choose another surgery for their mother, but to let her go quickly and with dignity. The oldest son was going through the same second-guessing and self-doubt that we all go through with our veteran dogs. So difficult, but definitely the kindest thing for his mother, who passed peacefully on Thursday morning.

::Sigh::

Lacee is going knowing she is fully loved and treasured.

Mary

First of all, I want to say thank you to everyone who has listened to me and been there through these couple of days that have been a nightmare for me.

Secondly, DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES? I certainly do now. Lacee is home with us where she belongs. She is having the surgery on Monday at her regular vet. They feel since Lacee is healthy otherwise, she's a good candidate for this and once the tumor is removed, her bleeding will stop. Once recovered, she could live another couple of years.

They are doing the surgery for $2,000, plus any aftercare expenses, which won't be too much. Everyone at the vets office loves her and were saddened also, so they teamed up and made this work for us!!

We were so close to losing her....within minutes. I am so thankful to the vet for giving us hope, for her compassion, and for pulling strings to make this affordable.

This is the best birthday present I could ever ask for!!

Oh, wow! What am amazing change of plan--I am so glad your vet's office worked together to give you another option for Lacee, and I will be thinking of you all on Monday and hoping for a successful, uncomplicated surgery!

(And happy birthday! Glad Lacee is home to celebrate with you! :D )

This is the best birthday present I could ever ask for!!

That is so, so true! And like G., I'm crying tears of happiness this time. I'm glad you were able to give us such a wonderful update! Happy Birthday!

Ohmygoodness! Hooray! <3 Goes to show you the power of the board mojo!

I hope she pulls through alright and kicks this in the butt--what a strong little girl!

Once again sending all our love, mojo, and prayers your way!

Diane, what a joyous celebration this has for us today! I am so sorry for not seeing this post when it first began, and I just caught the change of tide with Lacee. May it bring her to the shores of healing and recovery and may it bring her many more years of added health and being with you and your family! I can't even imagine a tiny ounce of the huge amount of sadness, grieving and suffering you must have gone through, and it is such an inspiration about what the vet, the office workers are doing for you and Lacee. The outpouring of loving sympathies and support from everyone here totally touches my heart! God Bless to you, dearest Lacee and everyone who wrote for you and to you. I am totally touched and it brings tears to my eyes! Please be sure to give us exact details when Lacee goes into surgery. You say Monday,what time then? How many hours will the surgery be? We all want to be sure you to send our special wishes and prayers during that time. I noticed you are in Virginia, so I'm thinking it's Eastern time zone, of course....Please keep us updated. I am so looking forward to seeing the new photos of Lacee too- HOME AT LAST! after the surgery. We would love to see her once all this has past and at her happiest and most joyous in the arms of her human family, safe and sound...

Again, thanks for all your well wishes. Lacee's had a rough weekend, but at least the vet gave her pain meds to tide her over until tomorrow morning. She goes in at 7:30am, but am not sure of the time of the actual surgery. Should be in the morning at some point. They more than likely keep her until closing time at 8pm for monitoring. If she has a hard time recovering, I might be bringing her to the ER Vet again, so they at least monitor her overnight and maybe the next day. I spent the weekend freeing up all the money I can scrounge up. Thankfully, quite a few creditors were willing to let me skip a month. And I got Care Credit for a small amount. So I think we're covered for any emergceny that might pop up. :blink:

Serena had a good idea that I didn't even think about. I might post some pics of her when she's out of surgery. Lacee will probably hate me for it, though. :rolleyes:

I will let you all know how it goes. Thanks again.

A veteran coworker of mine, retired a few years ago, had a series of strokes recently, resulting in one major brain surgery followed by another major bleed. Her two sons had to make this call last Wednesday morning, opting not to choose another surgery for their mother, but to let her go quickly and with dignity. The oldest son was going through the same second-guessing and self-doubt that we all go through with our veteran dogs. So difficult, but definitely the kindest thing for his mother, who passed peacefully on Thursday morning.

::Sigh::

Lacee is going knowing she is fully loved and treasured.

Mary

Mary, I'm sorry for your coworker. It's a terrible place to be put in. Unfortnately I've been through this also. My mother had a severe stroke last year (she was only 64) and was paralized on her left side. Her brain kept swelling and they docs said there was nothing they could do. My brothers and I had to make the decision to take her off life support. My oldest brother and I were fortunate enough to get there in time to be with her for the last fews days of her life. We are in VA, she was in SD with my other two brothers. She never regained consciousness, but I think she knew we were there. She passed peacefully, 15 minutes before my brother and I had to depart for the airport.

Archived