BC Boards

Tell me about adopting an older/special needs dog

Martin was an Aussie I pulled from a shelter, they told me he was 8 yrs old. When I actually got my hands on him I knew he was much older, according to my vet more like 13/14. He had no front teeth, was deaf, had in the past hemotoma's on both ears (they were both very narly) and both were infected. He was missing patches of fur from probably constant flea infestation (hair never grew back either). He had liver issues. I fostered him for a few months before placing him in a home, I stressed he liked to go for walks but couldn't walk miles. He was great with all my dogs and was calm and sweet. I got him back 3 months later, she said he went after other dogs when they went for walks (this was a blatent lie, he was perfect on walks). I kept dear old Martin so that he didn't have to go through any of that again. I had the old guy for a year and a half, he went to the Bridge yesterday, his body giving out on him and he couldn't get up any more. I was the apple of his eye, he loved me and I loved him. I could see the love in his eyes, he relished his special time with me and loved being petted and scratched. He slept by my bedside every night. Miss you big guy RIP.

Would I do it again, YES...........

I had the old guy for a year and a half, he went to the Bridge yesterday, his body giving out on him and he couldn't get up any more. I was the apple of his eye, he loved me and I loved him. I could see the love in his eyes, he relished his special time with me and loved being petted and scratched. He slept by my bedside every night. Miss you big guy RIP.

Would I do it again, YES...........

I'm sorry for your loss, but what you did for him in his final days must surely reserve you a special place in heaven, as with all the other folks who care so lovingly for these grand old souls.

I'm sorry for your loss, but what you did for him in his final days must surely reserve you a special place in heaven, as with all the other folks who care so lovingly for these grand old souls.

Thank you, that's very kind of you.

Guest CebakaLaika

I took in a 10 year old BC, Ellie Mae, who was returned to her breeder. I didn't want her, I didn't want an old, useless dog in deplorable, neglected condition. Ellie told me she was my dog and I had to take her. Ellie turned out to be the Dog of a Lifetime. Ellie got five obedience titles in two and half years, AKC and ASCA CD, CDX, and UKC CD. At age 12.5 Ellie got an AKC UD leg and then I had to retire her because she went deaf and was uncomfortable in the ring. Ellie was affectionate, loved to work, loved being clean, and didn't hold 10 years of neglect against the human race. She died at age 14.5 and I still miss her.

post-12437-012497100 1309979602_thumb.jpg

Archived