BC Boards

At a total loss, thinking of giving him up

I highly recommend trying medication. While it may not be a fix in and of itself, although for Dean it really was (for separation anxiety, not the noise phobia), it might make things more manageable for your dog so training can help.

If you cannot go to a vet behaviorist some of them will do long distance consultations through your regular vet. My regular vet actually prescribed his meds on her own, but his case was far less severe than the one that you describe. A vet behaviorist would be best, even if you do consults through your regular vet.

Yeah, that is the kicker. Loving a dog makes this sort of decision a totally different ballgame. I've never had a dog with this severe an anxiety problem, but I did have a dog that was extremely shy/fearful. Lots of people didn't think he was worth the effort I put into him and a few said so to my face. But I learned so much from that one dog who faced a scary world with his own brand of bravery and I bonded more with him than any dog I've owned. His progress and successes brought much joy and satisfaction.

So I wouldn't say this dog would be better off PTS any more than I'd say the OP must go the lengths his pup will require to achieve a decent life. It's "only a dog," after all. But when it is your dog, it's a whole lot more complicated, heart-wrenching and wonderful than that.

My 2 cents' worth: Having worked in rescue for a few years and had a few dogs come and go I would hate the thought that anyone would simply kill this dog instead of giving him a chance with proper behavior modification. The right kind of training and patience can turn almost any dog around.

Positive reinforcement training with a clicker has proven to be amazingly effective for dogs such as this one. It will take a lot of work but I think the dog deserves a chance.

One way or another, it has been human beings, (and I do not mean the OP, because I have no background, nor do I know how long he has been in his current home or any other pertinent information), who have made this dog what he is, either through neglect of his training and socialization or through actual mistreatment. Simply being ignorant of how to handle a potential problem can turn that problem into a huge one. Being ignorant of what to do is no fault or sin. I sure was ignorant before I learned better, and I still am ignorant.....for I hope to learn a whole lot more. But I feel strongly that the dog should not be put to death for the mistakes of human beings, especially as he has not been actively aggressive towards people.

Sending you my best wishes, and best of luck with your dog...

D'Elle

I also have a BC with fear and anxiety issues that are pretty severe. However, we have worked hard to address this and she has made alot of progress. I won't kid you, it is a lot of work. I do use DAP collars in combination with thundershirts and rescue remedy. am glad the calming aide is working. I really do think that you will be able to reduce Phoenix's stress to a point you will ensure a good quality of life. You may want to seek out leslie McDevitt, she is in NY state and has written a great book - control unleashed. I have used some of her methods to help my girl. Emma Parson's click to calm can also be modified to help with fear and anxiety. I do think a licensed behaviorist is a great idea. Hang in there, it does get better.

Archived