BC Boards

San Antonio Boarding?

Hi All,

I introduced my two border collies Doc and Wyatt with my first post on Doc's thunder phobia/destructive behavior. However, I noticed that there are quite a few Texas people on here and was hoping I could get some suggestions from anyone who knows the San Antonio area (my husband and I just moved here from North Carolina...with "the boys" and my daughter). We don't leave our dogs much, however we have a wedding in North Carolina to attend and have to find a place to board Doc and Wyatt while we are gone. Does anyone have any suggestions? There may not be enough San Antonio people here to give me any, but I thought it was worth a try. It's nice to know that someone else thinks highly of a place before you drop your dogs off with random people. Either way, thanks for any suggestions you can offer!

Heather

Not from San Antonio, but I suggest checking out the kennel before boarding regardless of recommendations. My friend, very dog-savvy, loves this one kennel, but after using it a few times, I just couldn't bring my dog back for several reasons. I am currently happy with the kennel I use, but another friend will not consider it because they do not have AC, only fans (although they are up on a mountain where it is a bit cooler.)

I hope you can get recommendations because it may speed up your research. Have you considered talking to any dog training clubs in the area to see if they have any suggestions? Vets may also be another source.

Jovi

Thanks for the comment. Yes, we do visit places prior to boarding and I certainly agree. We had friends highly recommend a place in North Carolina and after having our dogs there several times, Wyatt came back each time with deep puncuture wounds on his face...they insisted the dogs weren't socialized with other dogs, however I'm not sure how else the deep puncture wounds would have gotten there. We were willing to try it a second time only because we had boarded our two dogs together the first time and we assumed that being nervous, they might have gotten into a fight..however the second time they were boarded alone and it happened again. Either way, it's always nice to hear other people's opinion of places!

Heather

My friend has a boarding and training kennel, they are on Blanco road. Very nice facility, they even have a big pool made to look like a beach, for the dogs to swim in ;-) she's also a Border Collie person, she trials and does agility, so your dogs would be right at home ;-) here is her web site

http://www.k9countryclub.net/

Obviously a personal recommendation trumps this but another option is a guy named Rob Cary. My vet uses them for some training and stuff and heard good things back.

They are right at the airport. Although admittedly, I would have to go with someone that had Border Collies themselves and trialed. ;)

But here is the link to the other place http://www.robcary.com/

Archived