BC Boards

Another Lesson For Jackson

Dixie_Girl

I think it's wrong that they have people drive all that way, and spend all that money to support this trial and then they screw half of them before they get to the post. But I guess they don't care 'cause if you don't like it, don't go. They turned so many people away this year that they can do what they like.
Your original post said they screwed half of the handlers because they don't care. That's a lot different than saying that the course director on the Novice field perhaps should have attempted to fix the problem sooner.

But it's easier getting over a huff when "all's well that ends well"

Jenny - I can understand any handler's frustration and disappointment if they had problems with those "distracting" sheep during their run. I believe that, for most of the trial and most of the runs, it was not an issue as the sheep tended to keep to the other end of the grazing field. But when they were close to the fence, it was an undeniable problem. Similar to set-outs and exhausts, tarping is the only way to reduce the draw that I can think of.

I am sure the trial organizers will rectify the situation before next year's trial. As for someone "sheep-sitting" out there to keep them away from the Novice field area, my dog would love to volunteer us for that job!

So, Jenny, how's the marvelous Laddie doing? I'll bet you're having a great time with him.

My 2 cents, and that's all it is...

As far as the novice field situation goes, I have no idea what conversations anyone had about the Texas sheep wanting to hang out on the hillside and watch the runs, it never has been a problem in the past, so no one, including the man in charge of that field, expected there to be one this year.

Unfortunately, this year the weather proved cooler than normal, and instead of hanging out under the bleachers, the sheep came on down and grazed by the fence. I saw SOME runs upset by it, not most or half. Were they affected? Maybe so, but that's for the judge to consider when he scores. The dogs who handled the pressure should have come out on top. Should Novice dogs have to handle this? No, and correcting it mid-class would produce as many complaints as not sorrecting it, maybe more. Posting a handler up there to shoo the sheep away could go funky too if the handler isn't careful, and one class did organize people to go take care of it, grass roots, and the Man who "blew off" people complaining was indeed grateful they wanted to do this as volunteers. My guess is next year they will fence off that section, but that needs to be done before the trial starts, not after the end of a long day by people who were there before ya'll got up and are there setting up for towmorrow, caring for sheep, still working after ya'll go off and have dinner and fun, and a lot of them don't run dogs, but do it for the love of the trial.

The handlers (and dogs) are the trial's reason for being, and please believe that they want you guys happy, maybe to a fault. If you see a problem, offer to help fix it, make a genuine, real, concrete offer to get down and dirty and help.

I'll keep my mouth shut here out, but please know when you make suggestions and they can't be implemented right away, you aren't being ignored or blown off, and you might be pushing someone who's trying their darnedest to give you a terrific trial into not coming back for you next year. I'd hate to see that, and you have no idea how much they do care when you aren't happy.

Pearse,

Now I am afraid you are getting me huffy again. I said they were screwed before they even started. I mean that. Maybe you are taking that the wrong way. I did not say that the bluegrass people screwed them on purpose and for some secret motive. They were screwed by the MISTAKE of letting those sheep get near the fence. The same as I would be screwed if there was thunder during my run or a low flying helicopter going over and my dog not hearing. I did not mean to imply it was on purpose but when you accused me of being ascribing motive then I got upset and explained further that I was not making a mountain out of a mole hill. It realy truely was a problem. Like I said, it is something to think about next year, and the handlers were trying to take it into their own hands and were not recieved well even tho they wanted to fix it themselves. I AM NOT trying to run down the bluegrass, I am trying to defend myself. I was asked for scores and reported a "mistake" - that was my exact words. I am starting to get upset that I am being painted as a complainer when I thought all I was doing was reporting a problem.

Debbie,

I know that everyone worked hard. Like I said, I am not running down the bluegrass, but a trial that continues to be one of the top trials and is more "handler friendly" than Meeker, should be open to suggestions. But if they are not, I doubt it is any skin off their nose. Meeker has horrible sheep and terrible parking and all other kinds of things that handlers don't like and if you don't like it, don't go 'cause they have 10 more people who want your spot.

Jenny

hmmmm, I'm not liking the way this is going and I am going to stop coming to this board now as I see that comments can be taken the wrong way (I had been warned) So I will take a step back as my comments can sometimes be taken as the comments of my husband which, as everyone who knows me knows that this is NOT the case. I have my own mind and my own opinions. However, I will say this before I go, Debbie, what is bothering me by this lecture that I feel you and pearse are giving me is that my usual comment to people who complain about, oh, say the set out, is "do I hear you volunteering?" which always causes those people to shut up. It is the same as when Kathy Knox, who is a person to look up to, will not complain about the judging because she won't judge herself. I guess, being acused of being one of those people stings a little as it was not my intent when I was reporting the problem. I have heard other people in this board say that their comments have been taken the wrong way and it has bothered them enough that they no longer are going to come to these boards. I feel the same way.

Jenny

Jenny,

This is not really worth leaving the boards over, really. I think most people know that you speak for yourself and not for Scott, and that your comments were born out of a sense of frustration for the affected handlers and not meant to disparage anyone in particular.

I did see some runs that were messed up by the sheep being on the fence and even commented on it to others. But I also saw nursery dogs who handled the situation quite well, meaning that they were able to keep the sheep on line for the entire lift and fetch, despite the open sheep being along the fence. That doesn't mean I think it was entirely fair to the people whose dogs couldn't handle it and I would have hoped the judge would have taken the "beyond the handler's/dog's control" into account, but some dogs were indeed able to handle the situation. (And I'm not saying that anyone should have *had* to handle the situation, but some could.)

I think the larger problem is that people are very sensitive to any perceived complaint, even a constructive one. Add the stress of putting on such a big trial, and you can see how feelings can get hurt and problems blown up. Unfortunately, I think this is a direct result of handlers' propensity to complain in general (as you pointed out in your post above). As in the story of the boy who cried wolf, when the legitimate complaints/comments come through, they tend to be lumped with all the "usual" complaints. I guess the lessson here is that if *all* handlers complained less, then when there really was good cause to complain, someone would sit up and take notice. (Okay, so that's one of my soapbox/pet peeve subjects, in case you couldn't tell. )

I really do think it was an unforseen circumstance and I also think that after the first day (or even the first class), it would have made sense to somehow block off the fence so the sheep on the field couldn't see the open field sheep. I don't think that anyone had the attitude that if you don't like it you don't need to enter next year because there's always someone to fill your spot. While there may be an individual or two who feels that way, I don't think the BG crew in general had that opinion.

At any rate, maybe this conversation should just be allowed to die. And if you want it to die and still want to respond to these comments, feel free to PM me.

But don't go--I think you're an important contributor to this forum.

J.

Jenny,

No lecture, just something to consider.

I would never consider your comments to be anyone's but yours, but you refer to the situation as one you heard about, and use terms that are kind of fightin' words, so I guess you shouldn't be surprised if they sting a bit. I have to laugh at this point because I (yes, me) have been accused of being a you-know-what at work because I had a little energy and tone when expressing myself. Go figure. One of my major life-works is to be a kinder, more civil debator for my causes, because I want to not offend and because I want to be taken seriously.

If you were there in May 2006, you would know it would take more than a tarp to fix this problem (would have taken a hundred yards more fencing) with those baby sheep hanging out where they weren't wanted. Yes, I mainly wanted to inspire more volunteerism ("what can we do to fix this problem after runs are over tonight, are there any more posts and wire?"), less inflamatory griping, and give your side the right to be upset, and our side to say hey, next year we will try to do better for you.

Ask the Man upstairs not to mess with the weather next year too (you brought that up...I thought those handlers got the "screwed" when they had to run in a heavy rainstorm.)

Don't go away from the boards unless you really aren't willing to consider the nature of this beast when posting. I do understand, I've said some stuff that was taken wrong, and mostly, sounded royally stupid at times. Bless your heart, I do understand those handlers this week being upset, but if they do decide to pass up this trial next year, that'll be their decision.

Jenny,

I would consider it a shame if you were to cease posting here. I and others appreciate hearing your point of view. Please reconsider. This little incident is nothing. I think you've defended yourself well enough that most should understand you were not intending to insult anyone. The other points of view were expressed and you adressed them. Don't go.

Muddy

P.S. It is really liberating to finally quit giving a $%^& about what others may or may not think of you.

Jenny, you are right, 100%.

I am sorry to have upset or offended you, and hope that you will accept my sincere and humble apology.

The sheep/fence issue should have been addressed immediately, and I hope the people who will be running that field next year will be more open to suggestions when offered graciously and cheerfully.

You had every right to voice your opinion and report what you heard was happening for those who weren't there.

Again, I am sorry for upsetting you.