BC Boards

Extreme fear of fireworks

You might want to research a supplement called L-Theanine. I have not tried it, but am interested based on what I have read about it.

Rescue Remedy did nothing for Dean, although I do understand it helps some dogs. Melatonin, which some people also have success with, also did nothing for him.

Hi again,

I spoke with a friend whose BC has severe issues with thunder and fireworks and she gives a product called Theanine Serene" a calming complex, that she got from the health food store. She gives her pup 1/2 tab and has seen no side effects and is happy with the results. Sounds like same stuff. My friend uses it also for occasional life well-being for herself : )! I will be getting some for my pup also!

• 4 weeks later...

My 3 yr old boy, Teddie, is EXTREMELY fearful of thunder and fireworks. When outside, he runs and runs, and barks, and pants (in fenced in yard). He does not stop. He will not take a treat, or stop to let me kcomfor him. He goes into a psychotic state. When indoors, he tries to get out - he runs around the house crazily, leaps on the couch, looks out the windows, runs by me with a panicked look on his face, like "the world is ending, why are you just sitting there?" I have to shut the shades on the windows and patio door, as I am afraid he will try to crash through them to get out. He is clearly terrified, and there is nothing that will comfort him. We act normally, turn up the TV, etc. but nothing works.

I discussed his behavior with my vet, who suggested first trying Benedryl. That did NOTHING. He then suggested trying Xanax (1-2 hours BEFORE the storm hits - not always easy to predict). I started out giving him 1 mg. That did nothing - his behavior was unchanged. The vet said he could have up to 4 mg. (his weight is 54 lbs.) The next time, I gave him 2 Xanax. It did nothing. The next time, I gave him 3 Xanax. He was a little sleepy, but as soon as that first boom of thunder sounded, he was running, barking, panting crazily, as if he had had no meds at all. So, the next time, I tried the max. dose of 4 mg. of Xanax (again, about 1-2 hours before the predicted storm). After a few hours, he could hardly walk. It was AWFUL! He was so clumsy, his back feet were crossing, he was so unsteady. AND, the thunderstorm never came! I will never give him 4 mg. again. The vet said the next option is Valium, which will pretty knock him out during the storm, but he will still have that drug "hangover" of clumsiness afterwards. I don't want to do that. I just ordered a Thundershirt, but haven't had any storms (thankfully!) since receiving it. I am hoping it helps somewhat. I just haven't found any other relief for his fear.

If he were an older dog, I would be very concerned that he would have a heart attack - he is that crazy. It is horrible. I find myself constantly scanning the weather radar now.

Be careful with the drugs though - there is apparently a fine line in the dosage, as well as the timing of the meds. The Xanax seems to be at its highest level 2-3 hours after administering it. Good luck!!

Miley is also afraid of thunder and fireworks as well. Our local pet shop owner recommended the Thundershirt as a starting point. Her take on meds is that you have to give them constantly, otherwise by the time they kick in, the thunder/fireworks are over. Kind of made sense. So we tried the Thundershirt. It works well for her. If a storm is approaching, I put the shirt on Miley and she stays calm. She is still somewhat clingy and quite aware when the storm starts, but she no longer shakes and panics. During the 4th of July, I just left the shirt on her. Early this morning a transformer blew down the street. Woke all of us up with a jolt. Miley was shaking and would not calm down. Put on the Thundershirt and she crashed next to me on the bed.

At first, I was doubtful about how this could be effective, but then I think of my disabled son who wears a compression vest when he has a hard time calming down. Instant change in behavior. I'm assuming it works on the same principle.

My 3 yr old boy, Teddie, is EXTREMELY fearful of thunder and fireworks. When outside, he runs and runs, and barks, and pants (in fenced in yard). He does not stop. He will not take a treat, or stop to let me kcomfor him. He goes into a psychotic state. When indoors, he tries to get out - he runs around the house crazily, leaps on the couch, looks out the windows, runs by me with a panicked look on his face, like "the world is ending, why are you just sitting there?" I have to shut the shades on the windows and patio door, as I am afraid he will try to crash through them to get out. He is clearly terrified, and there is nothing that will comfort him. We act normally, turn up the TV, etc. but nothing works.

With this level of panic, I would highly recommend having your regular vet do a consult with a veterinary behaviorist to find the right medication protocol for your dog.

The vet said the next option is Valium, which will pretty knock him out during the storm, but he will still have that drug "hangover" of clumsiness afterwards. I don't want to do that. I just ordered a Thundershirt, but haven't had any storms (thankfully!) since receiving it. I am hoping it helps somewhat. I just haven't found any other relief for his fear.

Dogs seem to react to valium on a case by case basis. My dog seems to have no hangover effect from valium, he's not even that groggy while on it, just pretty mellow and relaxed.

I agree with Root Beer - time to take this to the next step to figure out a plan so your dog can get some relief!

Dogs seem to react to valium on a case by case basis. My dog seems to have no hangover effect from valium, he's not even that groggy while on it, just pretty mellow and relaxed.

I agree with Root Beer - time to take this to the next step to figure out a plan so your dog can get some relief!

Yes, if Xanax isn't working just upping the dose isn't going to make it work. Its time to try something else. Poor dog, poor you! Its an awful feeling...

• 1 month later...

We are at our wits end with our BC, Scout and fireworks, thunder, snaps, cap guns, neighbors with airsoft toys, etc. He continues to damage our doors and hurt himself when we are aware and any of the above noises occur. We are going to try the Thundershirt as our last resort. Check out the damage Scout has done to our doors while we were gone during fireworks. See the pictures attached. He also has destroyed our inside kennel. He will not stay in it during thunder and fireworks. We have to lock all doors with a bolt even when we are home as he learned how to operate the door knob.

yamabiker

post-10289-034774200 1315692995_thumb.jpg

post-10289-024826700 1315693004_thumb.jpg

post-10289-082667200 1315693012_thumb.jpg

We are at our wits end with our BC, Scout and fireworks, thunder, snaps, cap guns, neighbors with airsoft toys, etc. He continues to damage our doors and hurt himself when we are aware and any of the above noises occur. We are going to try the Thundershirt as our last resort. Check out the damage Scout has done to our doors while we were gone during fireworks. See the pictures attached. He also has destroyed our inside kennel. He will not stay in it during thunder and fireworks. We have to lock all doors with a bolt even when we are home as he learned how to operate the door knob.

yamabiker

You really should talk to your vet about a prescription for your dog. It is obvious that he is terrified and could really hurt himself. If you read through this thread people have given suggestions on what to ask for and what not to use. My dog is not destructive during fireworks but is very fearful. The thundershirt with L-Theanine (found at health food stores) took some of the edge off. This may not be enough to help your dog though, and you should definitely consult with your vet.

• 9 years later...

Hi all. 

I found your info all very interesting. But I'm still having a problem with my BC 8 months old Dubhí. She was fine with the you tube desensitizing noises before Halloween but when they were actually blowing in my area she just hid under the table. Nothing would get her out. Not games, toys, treats, food. I left her for a few days with no walks, she didn't ask to go out either. We had more fireworks than normal as everyone was stuck at home with covid. She became sensitive to lots of sounds then (cooker sizzling, kettle boiling and the microwave) which is mostly gone now but not eliminated. So she has not been for a long walk since Oct 23rd, has not walked around the roads since 25th and now won't leave the house, back garden. I feel so sorry for her. I've driven her out to the grassy plains for walks but onlt got 15 mins before she became afraid and pulled me back to the car. I'm missing the walking myself tbh. We play a lot of fetch in the back garden which is quite big anyway but again if she hears something she comes inside and won't play for 10 mins. I did give her herbal calm eze up to and over the Halloween but I didn't find it any easier so I stopped. I'm at my wits end. I want to be able to go out hiking etc with her but I'm afraid now that that's never gonna happen. It's nearly 2 months now. Any advice would be very much appreciated

Thanks so much

Sandra and Dubhí