BC Boards

How Often Should You Vaccinate Your Dog?

I'm curious what everyone is doing with their dogs who are nearing 10 or over 10 in reguards to booster vaccines. My state requires me to rerabies every 3 but, I wonder if they have had all their shots in their life if it makes sense to do them in old age. I dont have time to finish the whole series now but, I'd rather hear what people do or have done.

After age 10, I only rabies vaccinate per the law on the dogs that frequently leave the property. For the two that I have, I don't do anything because they rarely even go on walks anymore so really no need to fear anyone turning us in or them getting into any trouble that would have anyone asking for them.

Just pondering but why are people continually vaccinating dogs? You can't boost antibodies so why give the repeated shot to begin with? Why not titer first? Personally I know of 1 dog that showed no antibodies (distemper?) and was vaccinated again. Me, I am not giving another vaccine, regardless of titer results. TTBOMK the only thing required to be repeated by law is Rabies and hopefully in my gangs lifetime that will change!

I think people vaccinate continuously because they get a notice from their vet that their animals are due for vaccines and so dutifully take them in for same. Not everyone bothers to educate themselves about vaccination, disease, etc. Dedicated dog people, like many folks here, are a much smaller subgroup of the general population of humans with pets....

J.

I think people vaccinate continuously because they get a notice from their vet that their animals are due for vaccines and so dutifually take them in for same.

This. My previous vet gave me all kinds of grief for going to a three year vaccination schedule, and took every opportunity to try to force my hand. That's the main reason why she's no longer my vet. :)

I remember a time where I thought people were bad dog owners if they didn't vaccinate yearly, and I know people now who start panicking if their dogs are a day past the yearly date. Those people tend to be your average Joe Petowner, and they are simply believing what their vet tells them. *shrug* Until I got into border collies, and came to this board, I believed it too.

But that's just wrong! Why are vets "still" pushing it thought? Even in the vids the research was here what 30 some odd years ago? Sherly, let me ask you- what vaccines were you specifically asking about and why? Not picking at you just wondering especially in light of the vids Kris posted.

Karen,

The reason I hear most often is that if they couldn't convince people to come in for vaccines then some folks would not come in to get their pets' health checked on a regular basis. I'll grant you it's messed up, but apparently some people would never be motivated to take their animals to the vet unless they thought they had to (i.e., to get vaccines). I think the biggest argument vets gave for being against going to a 3-yr schedule was because it would mean pets not coming in for regular check ups.

J.

I get ya Julie and I agree it is messed up. One shouldn't need to convince, on either side of the issue, you take your pet in as needed. But....in this day and age there is simply no excuse for pushing vaccines or misleading the public and calling them "boosters". I know I have been extremely fortunate with my vets but also I didn't just pick them out of the phone book :)

Laura, loved your term "previous" !

The reason I hear most often is that if they couldn't convince people to come in for vaccines then some folks would not come in to get their pets' health checked on a regular basis.

Yes, Julie, that is the excuse I hear most often as well. What's interesting is that our physicians don't send us annual vaccination reminders just to get us to come in for a physical or health check -- can you imagine receiving a reminder for an annual polio booster? Unthinkable, isn't it, yet that is precisely what happens in many veterinary practices, pet owners receive notices for boosters their animals don't need.

I had an argument with my old vet last year about the dogs' vaccines. They failed to tell me that the law in Iowa had changed and though the receptionist knew that, she still allowed me to make appointments for my dogs literally two days after their expiration. Now you have to have it by that day instead of by the end of the month for rabies vaccines here. So I argued with him that they would not be going back this year (I did take them to a different vet to comply with laws though) because I felt no need to overvaccinate them any more than over vaccinating my children. I had also asked him previously about the three year schedule on parvo/distemper along with the rabies but he told me then that the titers are not accurate (obviously wrong) and that in order for the parvo/distemper vaccine to be effective for three years that they would have to give three times the amount. Either very stupid, a liar, or undeducated. Who knows which one. Until I got my first border collie though I was just the responsible owner taking them in every year for everything. Now they get their physicals and only vaccinated every three years to comply with rabies laws.

Now they get their physicals and only vaccinated every three years to comply with rabies laws.

Just asking but do you mean just Rabies in the above?

Also, did you ask your Health Department about being 2 days late previously? I've heard many people say the same thing only to find out it was a scam the vet office was running, not the law. The best by far is "we'd have to charge 3x more for the 3 yr rabies vaccine". Why? It costs the same or pennies more than the 1yr!

I like my vet, but I just got me second reminder to give Meg her one-year DA2PP vaccination. I already told them I wouldn't be doing this with her after I got the first reminder (when I was on the phone with them about another matter), but they do seem to push it...

I guess old habits are hard to break. I'm sure their computer systems are set up to automatically generate vaccine reminders yearly, and so that's what they send out. There's no provision for the minimal vaccine folks....

Although, come to think of it, I don't think I've gotten vaccine reminders from my current vet. I do get reminders for other procedures, though, so maybe they've gotten all progressive and stopped the yearly vaccine reminders. ;)

J.

the reminder from my vet are a card each year that says time for a check up and "discuss" any vaccinations. my vet follows a limited protocol, and refuses to vaccinate any more then that, and they are also totally open to more limited protocols, the 3 years is just their "standard" for random pet folks. I have been to other vets that try to push it though, a co-woker of mine took her dog to the vet for her 1 yeasr rabies shot, the vet told her outright that she was giving her dog a 3 yr vaccine but they will vaccinate next year again anyway! luckily she had been learning about vaccines from me, and said fat chance lol

Thank you for posting. Our 2 have only had their puppy series. They will both be 3 in August. We've had 1 titer done since and they are OK. Up to date on Rabies but Vet wants every 2 years. Even though Pennsylvania law requires every 3 years. His argument is that most people forget to come back in 3 years then 3 turns to 4. So he wants to poison my dogs every 2 rather than abide by the law. Time to find a new Vet.

Up to date on Rabies but Vet wants every 2 years. Even though Pennsylvania law requires every 3 years. His argument is that most people forget to come back in 3 years then 3 turns to 4. So he wants to poison my dogs every 2 rather than abide by the law. Time to find a new Vet.

Absolutely time to find another vet!

The CDC's 2011 Rabies Compendium http://www.nasphv.org/Documents/RabiesCompendium.pdf states: No laboratory or epidemiologic data exist to support the annual or biennial administration of 3- or 4-year vaccines following the initial series. As there are no 2 year rabies vaccines licensed in the USA, any veterinarian giving a rabies booster every 2 years is administering a vaccine off-label and against the recommendations of all the veterinary medical associations (CDC's National Association of State Public Health Veterinarians, American Animal Hospital Association, and the American Veterinary Medical Association).

Archived