BC Boards

Soliciting Advice for Dog Undergoing Treatment

bc friend

I just started fostering a 12-18 month old female bc who is HW positive. She will be undergoing HW treatment within the next few days. It will be the "back to back" treatment where she receives both shots within a 48 hour period, and then she'll come back to my home. From the testing, it seems she has a fairly light load but too much for just Heartguard to kill.

I haven't gotten much instruction on her after-care, just to keep her crated except for potty breaks on leash and quiet for at least 2 weeks and then check back with the vet's office regarding activity for the next 2-4 weeks.

I'm wondering how to keep her from going crazy - she's an overgrown puppy who is pretty much full grown physically (40 lbs) but mentally she's still a pup and a very active one at that! Typical untrained bc - jumping, mouthing, zooming around the yard, tries to steal food, treats and toys from other dogs, etc. Wants to be the top dog. She has bent the wires on my wire crate where I keep her during the day when I am work (@ 6 hours) so I'm a little concerned about long-term crating with her! As long as she within my sight, she will follow my commands (which are very basic since she's had no training!) such as stop doing that, sit, go in the crate, etc.

I'm going to ask the vet if tethering is an option when I'm home with her and if I can start basic manner training (down, stay, stand, etc) with her. Any suggestions on how to keep her (and me) sane during the treatment period?

Thanks so much for helping this dog! Although I've taken two border collie mixes through HW treatment, they have both been extraordinarily laid-back dogs, so that made my job relatively easy.

I would think tethering, though, would accomplish the same goals as crating: that is, keeping her as quiet and calm as possible. I hope others who have experience with more energetic dogs can offer other suggestions. I seem to remember this topic having been discussed before, too, so a search might give you some more tips. Good luck! :)

IMO, I would say no to the tethering. A solid Vari kennel and multiple types of "stuffed" toys, kongs, puzzle toys that dispense kibble etc ....manners and mind games that are sedentary for minimal amounts of time. Good chews, you may as well work the teeth while crated, as well. Frozen toys too!

On the same subject of hw immiticide treatments, I've been told it's better to wait for cooler seasons to treat. How essential is it that? I can't imagine fosters hold a dog for several months until weather cools. Can anyone discuss their experience with treating in summer?

thx-

I have never had to crate a dog that long, but I would think that freezing kongs would be a time filler.

I freeze kongs for my dogs daily. I fill them with part of their meals every day.

But if I really want to make them work freeze them with peanut butter and soft mushy kibble. That takes a while to thaw and my dogs who both are both tough on toys, really have to work at that.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Archived