BC Boards

You could have knocked me over with a feather

DH announced that when we retire, he would like to get another Border Collie. He just loves the better aspects of what Buster is. He does acknowledge that he is responsible for not spending enough time with Buster when he was younger, which most likely caused the severe case of SA when Buster's lifelong buddy died. I gave him the lecture on how much time he is going to have to spend with the puppy on through adulthood, and he is looking forward to it - we have a few more years to go. I think part of it is the contrast between Buster's extreme desire to please and Romana's Great Pyr attitude of "I'll be there when I am done checking this out, unless I find something else that needs to be checked." I do know, that if we someday do get another BC, it will receive that time and attention that it needs to be a happy, well adjusted dog.

There is somethinge wonderful about these dogs, isn't there? :) I am just crazy about the breed. Another option to consider is a Border Collie mix which might be a little less intense about wanting to do things. I have found my Shelties very responsive and eager to please. In fact, they are an easier dog for me personally, but they often bring a bunch of little neuroses that I have not seen in Quinn or the other Border Collies I know.

There is somethinge wonderful about these dogs, isn't there? :) I am just crazy about the breed. Another option to consider is a Border Collie mix which might be a little less intense about wanting to do things. I have found my Shelties very responsive and eager to please. In fact, they are an easier dog for me personally, but they often bring a bunch of little neuroses that I have not seen in Quinn or the other Border Collies I know.

A Border Collie mix might be a good option, but if one is looking for the unique qualities of a Border Collie, a mix most likely won't have many - or sometimes any - of those. My two mixes are much less biddable, much less intent on what is going on in their world, and really are more like ordinary dogs than they are like Border Collies.

The Border Collies are almost always with me in the house (not in an annoying way, but in a companionable way). The mixes are more independent and I don't see them as much. When we go out to play, the Border Collies are interactive while the mixes go and sniff. The mixes needed to be convinced that training and activity with me was worthwhile when we first started. The Border Collies have all just taken to it naturally. The mixes are intelligent, but they channel their intelligence differently.

And yes, there are Border Collies that are independent, not biddable, and who don't act as Border Collie-ish as others, but living with two Border Collie mixes and three Border Collies (all three of whom are different from one another in a lot of ways), I have found that it is like living with two distinct breeds of dog.

I realize that there are Border Collie mixes who act much more Border Collie-ish, but not all will, so if there are specific Border Collie qualities that you are looking for, a mix might not fit the bill. Of course, what the dog is mixes with can make a difference, too.

In the future, if I want a Border Collie, I will get a Border Collie. If I want a mix (and I might), I will get a mix. I know that if I want a Border Collie, a mix probably won't be exactly what I want. I love my mixes, of course, but I don't really think of them as Border Collies even though they both have Border Collie in them.

Anyway, I wish you the best!

I was just so surprised at DH's comment. There is still a couple thousand dollars in repairs to be done from Buster's rampages in the garage, it has been a very sore point. My comment to DH was "I am so glad he is YOUR dog." Now that we have Romana, I can leave the two of them in the house unsupervised for a couple of hours with no issues. That certainly took a leap of faith, I did some serious worrying about what I would come home to. Now if I can convince Romana to get in the car, my dog life will be complete :)