BC Boards

Starting to Look

I'm so excited for you! You'll probably know which dog is a good fit when you meet them, but since you asked, here's my two cents based only on the dogs' written descriptions.

Ally sounds great if you have a dog that doesn't mind being herded and likes to participate in that. After a while some dogs find that annoying. This is especially true if one dog is focused on getting a frisbee or ball that you are throwing, and the other is staring at them waiting for them to run so they can nip at their heels.

Neila is a cutie with a tendency to be assertive with other females. Since I have a little "bossy butt" of my own, I can tell you that sometimes this can be a royal pain when meeting other dogs.

My favorite is Loki! Besides being visually stunning, he has a good recall, good in the car, and loves the water...all things you said you would like in your next dog. Nothing specific mentioned about how he is with other dogs, but it did say he would be good as a solo dog or with a buddy.

Good Luck!

oh, and by the way, keep an open mind. when i went looking for my new bc in rescue, an agility prospect, i was looking for a smooth coated male, preferably red, prick ears and split or white face between 1 and 3 yrs old. i fell in love with a semi- rough tri female. at least i got the prick ears and age right!

A little late to the party (as always) but I've got to second this. I've said elsewhere that I was (am) looking for a pup from working stock (a smooth tri with prick ears), but... While we were up in New Mexico we met Jamie: a three year old rough coat BC/Aussie mix with a short tail and tipped ears P1000764.JPG

We would have happily packed him up if he wasn't already in a "loving relationship".

Personality trumped all in this situation. My daughter is still talking about him.

• 3 weeks later...

So an update on my quest....

Lillie and I have been in communication and she is very concerned because a 4 lane road is visible from my windows. She thinks that all the dogs currently at the farm would not be able to handle that. I guess we'll just have to see if GHF gets a dog that will be able to handle that kind on stimulation. I'm a little disappointed because I was set to go up there this weekend, but I do want a dog that will be able to handle my lifestyle easily. Ohhhh well, the wait continues a little longer. :(

Really? That's disappointing. :( I suppose she's against crating your dog when you're not home? I mean, the windows overlooking the road wouldn't be an issue when you're with the dog, right, so keeping her in another room or crated away from the windows wouldn't work? Kind of odd, but I'm trying not to judge. <_<

There are some beautiful dogs at MABCR: http://www.mabcr.org/ourdogs.php

I would be kind of amazed if GHF had nothing in rescue but a bunch of serious car chasers. I think we get maybe one a year that would have a problem with being able to see a 4 lane road from the window. But I don't know her dogs, maybe she's got a weird bunch in right now ;-) That's a drag for you!

RDM

Archived