BC Boards

Starting to Look

Alright, so I am beginning to look for my next border collie. I have no time line and am in no rush, I want to find the right dog. I want to adopt a dog rather than buy one which is why I am posting here. Yes, I have looked at many of the rescue agencies and have begun to start the application processes, but I also know that a lot of people here on the boards have fosters as well.

About me: I have one border who is male, neutered and 14 months old. I work during the day, but am sure to leave treat dispensing toys and such to keep him occupied. I do a lot of hiking and walking (attempting to start jogging with him :blink: ), and am beginning agility, obedience and rally training. I do live in an apartment, but we do get our exercise and plenty of off leash time!

What I would like in a dog:

Need: Mostly house trained, walks well on leash, focused enough on me that a good recall will be possible with work, gets along well with other dogs, not sound sensitive (my current is and he cues off of other dogs for both confidence and fear), and eager to bond with me.

Really Want: Female, 2-4 years old, prefers chasing games to wrestling, enjoys the water, likes car rides, rough coat, enjoys being out and about (I like to bring them to outdoor restaurants and such).

Want: split face

If you have a foster, or know of one who fits this description, please let me know. Like I said, I am willing to wait for the right dog and want to make sure it's a good fit to me and my current border collie.

Thanks!!

i know you said you're trying the rescue route. let me please give a shout out to carolina bc rescue and Phoenix rising bc rescue. i found a great dog there (my avatar) and they are good to work with.

oh, and by the way, keep an open mind. when i went looking for my new bc in rescue, an agility prospect, i was looking for a smooth coated male, preferably red, prick ears and split or white face between 1 and 3 yrs old. i fell in love with a semi- rough tri female. at least i got the prick ears and age right!

wow. she looks terrific. they have some nice dogs there. i'm partial to the little acd bindi. almost sad it's too far for me. almost. i'm on a 2 dog limit right now!

I love Tipper - but I'm not sure about the drive. I'm talking to her foster parent right now but she's 22 hours away and they don't accept transports... While I'm willing to drive, a 20 hour round trip is about the limit.

Damn it, Georgia! Why'd you hafta make me go and look at GHF? And on the very day that my husband told me (again) that we can't have another dog. Waaaaah!

Good luck with your search, Mary. You are bound to find a great dog out there!

I have been looking at GHF extensively and love their story and their dogs. I was all lined up to go and volunteer at their kids camp this year until work decided that that wasn't going to be possible :angry:

However: Does anyone know if Lily will consider adopting to someone in an apartment? As a "qualifying" question they ask if you have a fenced in yard - which I do not, although we do a lot of off-leash running elsewhere...

I'm not familiar with the requirements of GHF, but I read it over and it seems to me that they want to make sure the dog has "free run" opportunities. So if you're interested, I would just go ahead and apply and make sure you mention all the off leash opportunities you talked about, your experience with border collies, and the training you plan to do. Maybe even include a picture. :) Anyway, that's what I would do. :)

Damn it, Georgia! Why'd you hafta make me go and look at GHF? And on the very day that my husband told me (again) that we can't have another dog. Waaaaah!

Good luck with your search, Mary. You are bound to find a great dog out there!

Damn...I just HAD to look. You are cruel, I tell ya!

• 4 weeks later...

FYI the Chicago USDAA Regional is coming up the first weekend in August and a lot of competitors will be traveling from all over, so it might be possible for a MN rescue dog to hitch a ride somewhere. Just sayin... ;-)

Definitely not a site to look at when you can't have another dog!! :D :D :D

To the OP - congrats on being approved!! I wish you the best with finding your dog!!

Did anyone else notice "Tulla"? Wow is she gorgeous, I would take her if I could!

http://bcrofmn.org/dogs/available/a-tulla.php

Her behaviour (nipping pant legs) reminds me of my ex-foster, Rhys bach, even to the point of being able to function well when focused on "work" (ball, frisbee or whatever). It's lucky I'm a long way away, or else I would be very, very tempted.

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone is interested... In working with GlenHighland I have narrowed the search to three that would do well with my lifestyle / my current dog. The three are (dun dun dunnn) Ally, Neila, and Loki. Let me know what you think!! It's just down to finding the right weekend :D

Of course there will be tons of pictures as soon as it happens, don't worry!

Neila is an awesome little girl. She was there while I was teaching at camp and she just steals your heart!! She has personality plus!! Loki is super cool, too. Very engaging.

Of course, if one of them is right, you'll know it when you meet! I wish you the best!

Archived