BC Boards

Gizmo is driving us crazy.

Okay, last week we went to Nevada for a cousins graduation. We had to leave both our dogs with someone. Since my grandpa was going, but my aunt wasn't (my aunt has leg problems, she can't walk real well.) So we couldn't leave Gizmo with her along with my dog. So we brought Gizmo to my brothers girlfriends house. Since the girlfriend was coming with us, we left him with her sister. Bad idea. Now, the once sweet puppy, who was learning to be potty trained really well, and who was listing and coming to his name well, is a monster. In the last three days, he's messed inside 12 times. Really? I'm the one who has to clean it up even though he isn't my dog. It's like with my dog all over again. She used to be both mine and my brothers, but since he didn't EVER clean up after her, she became mine. But Gizmo isn't at all mine. But he doesn't listen to his name that much, better with me and my mom then my brother and his girlfriend (They own the dog). But he is getting way better, my brother decided to leave the two dogs alone, Angel doesn't like Gizmo, Gizmo likes Angel. Problem. But, not the point. Today, I don't know how long they were left alone together, but I woke up to Angel barking at him. There was no mess in the house, and he was a free roaming dog. Excited, I looked outside where I'd put him as soon as I came down, two piles of poop. Fresh. Good dog for that, but dang. He's driving us crazy. Any help on how to get him to mind better? Or is he just being a puppy? He'll be seven weeks in two-three days.

Oh goodness, if he's not yet seven weeks, how old was he when your brother got him? Sounds like he was taken from his litter way too young, and y'all are now going to have to pay the price when it comes to puppy behavior/manners and socialization with other dogs.

J.

This was the pup that was abandoned as a newborn, right? I'm confused, does he belong to you or your brother?

He is a puppy who has missed out on socialization with him mother and litter.

He is also a baby that doesn't know what is expected of him and needs to be managed and trained.

Take him outside every 1.5 hours to potty. Don't leave him free to roam - tether him to you or crate him. I'd stick to tethering since he is such a baby. Supervise, supervise, supervise.

You threw his whole world out of whack when you took him somewhere else. He may kind of know the routine for home, but not the routine for a new place and new people.

and remember, he is a baby. You can't really expect anything more from him than you'd expect from a 6 m/o baby at this point.

Oh, hon, your puppy is a baby! Most puppies don't even leave their mothers until they're 8 weeks old, and the puppy-raising adventure for humans begins after that. Any upset in the routine of a puppy that young will cause set-backs and oopses. You honestly have a long way to go before you can expect any reliable behavior in pottying and such, from your wee little rascal. Consistency and routine are the name of the game for a pup this small. Frequent potty breaks, lots of patience, and repetitions of routine until he's back to pottying in the right places, that will be the ticket.

As Mara said, he's an infant. He shouldn't even be off his mama yet, but since circumstances put him in your hands, you must have the mother's patience and consistency. :)

~ Gloria

As Mara said, he's an infant. He shouldn't even be off his mama yet, but since circumstances put him in your hands, you must have the mother's patience and consistency. :)

~ Gloria

This bears repeating! Poor little fellow, that must have been a long, upsetting weekend for him. Please re-read Mara and Gloria's posts.

http://www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads

This website has a free book download on pdf by Ian Dunbar. It's called "After You Get Your Puppy". It has a lot of information in it that I believe will help you.

He's going to be work, like any other puppy, and there is no way around that. I can hear your frustration that it's falling on you. Someone has to do it though, or the dog will lose out in the end, and perhaps become another shelter statistic.

Thank you for taking him in and hang in there. :)

At that age he might need to go potty up to every 20 minutes during active play and he should absolutely not be allowed to wander around the house and even have the opportunity to have an accident.

If someone isn't watching him like a hawk (watching TV, texting, talking on the phone don't count) he should be in a crate or pen.

More vigilance and hard work now will yield a faster, more consistent result in the long term.

An adult dog that is not the mother of a pup should not be left alone with it. Puppies annoy adult dogs, so if the adult wants some peace and tries to tell the pup off there might be injuries.

Your family needs to have a sit down to get everyone on the same page. Set the ground rules and make sure Gizmo has a consistent, structured upbringing if you want a normal, happy, well adjusted adult dog.

At that age he might need to go potty up to every 20 minutes during active play and he should absolutely not be allowed to wander around the house and even have the opportunity to have an accident.

If someone isn't watching him like a hawk (watching TV, texting, talking on the phone don't count) he should be in a crate or pen.

More vigilance and hard work now will yield a faster, more consistent result in the long term.

An adult dog that is not the mother of a pup should not be left alone with it. Puppies annoy adult dogs, so if the adult wants some peace and tries to tell the pup off there might be injuries.

Your family needs to have a sit down to get everyone on the same page. Set the ground rules and make sure Gizmo has a consistent, structured upbringing if you want a normal, happy, well adjusted adult dog.

Very nicely put. The last section is especially important. Nothing else will work if the last section isn't in place.

I know, I know, It's just so dang irritating! We usually have him barricaded in the front room where we usually are, but if we (My mom and I) aren't home, my brother lets him wander around and he poops everywhere. He's actually doing better with the potty training, he whines and goes in a circle if he has to go. He also sniffs around and hangs out by the door. I'm happy we found him, but I mean DANG. He doesn't poop on schedual either. He can stay outside ALL DAY and not poop or pee, but the moment he comes in BAM. A mess is on the floor.

He sometimes goes to Ashley's house (Brothers girlfriend, brother is Alex) and spends the night, which I know we should stop. I want it to stop. He's getting so confused whenever he goes over there. He begins behaving badly everytime he comes back. It's like when a kid goes to their grandparents house, their grandparents teach them things that will annoy their parents. (Personal experiance, haha, good times...) And I swear that happens there.

@ J. We found him when he was roughly a day old.

Ohh, I won't ever let him go to a shelter! That would be horrible! When my dog was just two months old, she ran off for a week and my dad called the local shelters, and they said they had a little white puppy that had come in three days prior. Someone almost bought my puppy! It was thirty dollars... he would buy her back nowadays, she's old and grumpy.

Alex leaves them alone together, It irritates the he-ck out of me. Angel is grunmpy and old, Gizmo should not be left alone with her! We tell him and tell him! But I still here her barking at Gizmo, and Alex yells at her. And we have sat down and talked about it. Alex is still determined to let Gizmo roam and bother Angel.

Gizmo is Alex's dog, since I have Angel. But, the only reason I have Angel is because Alex never cleaned up her messes, so, behold last year, she became MY dog. This is honestly going to happen with Gizmo. He lets him poop everywhere then I have to clean it up if I don't want the puppy dead. (My dad doesn't want dogs. And he's serious when he says if the mess doesn't get cleaned up, the dog will die or go to the shelter. Not to put a bad light on my dad, I love him, and he loves dogs, but we didn't have the money to take in Gizmo, let alone have my dog.)

And last but not least. Thank you all! He is just driving me crazy! He keeps biting my face, chewing EVERYTHING, and irritating my dog. I love him, but man...

Actually this is last. He's almost Seven weeks! Woo. We have come so far with him! From a little puppy that still needed nursing and had his eyes closed to the little monster he is now!

(Sorry I know it's long........) :)

Okay, what I don't understand is why YOU have to clean up what are essentially Alex's messes (since he lets puppy roam the house and crap wherever). Does Alex live at home? Does he not care about Dad's directives concerning the puppy and messes in the house? Are you enabling by doing the clean up and not letting Alex suffer the consequences of NOT doing the clean up? Honestly this sounds like a way bigger family problem than it does a puppy problem. I'm not trying to be mean here, but there's something seriously wrong with the picture as it pertains to Alex's role in this whole thing. And heck, if you're doing all the clean up and a majority of the training, then just go ahead and make the pup yours. Fair is fair and if you're doing the work and the only real reason the pup is Alex's is because the family says so because you already have a dog, then someone needs to point out that not only do you have a dog, but you also have the work of two dogs, because once again, apparently, Alex isn't stepping up to the plate. Sounds like someone needs to b!tch slap some sense of responsibility into Alex.

J.

I know, I know, It's just so dang irritating! We usually have him barricaded in the front room where we usually are, but if we (My mom and I) aren't home, my brother lets him wander around and he poops everywhere. He's actually doing better with the potty training, he whines and goes in a circle if he has to go. He also sniffs around and hangs out by the door. I'm happy we found him, but I mean DANG. He doesn't poop on schedual either. He can stay outside ALL DAY and not poop or pee, but the moment he comes in BAM. A mess is on the floor.

He sometimes goes to Ashley's house (Brothers girlfriend, brother is Alex) and spends the night, which I know we should stop. I want it to stop. He's getting so confused whenever he goes over there. He begins behaving badly everytime he comes back. It's like when a kid goes to their grandparents house, their grandparents teach them things that will annoy their parents. (Personal experiance, haha, good times...) And I swear that happens there.

@ J. We found him when he was roughly a day old.

Ohh, I won't ever let him go to a shelter! That would be horrible! When my dog was just two months old, she ran off for a week and my dad called the local shelters, and they said they had a little white puppy that had come in three days prior. Someone almost bought my puppy! It was thirty dollars... he would buy her back nowadays, she's old and grumpy.

Alex leaves them alone together, It irritates the he-ck out of me. Angel is grunmpy and old, Gizmo should not be left alone with her! We tell him and tell him! But I still here her barking at Gizmo, and Alex yells at her. And we have sat down and talked about it. Alex is still determined to let Gizmo roam and bother Angel.

Gizmo is Alex's dog, since I have Angel. But, the only reason I have Angel is because Alex never cleaned up her messes, so, behold last year, she became MY dog. This is honestly going to happen with Gizmo. He lets him poop everywhere then I have to clean it up if I don't want the puppy dead. (My dad doesn't want dogs. And he's serious when he says if the mess doesn't get cleaned up, the dog will die or go to the shelter. Not to put a bad light on my dad, I love him, and he loves dogs, but we didn't have the money to take in Gizmo, let alone have my dog.)

And last but not least. Thank you all! He is just driving me crazy! He keeps biting my face, chewing EVERYTHING, and irritating my dog. I love him, but man...

Actually this is last. He's almost Seven weeks! Woo. We have come so far with him! From a little puppy that still needed nursing and had his eyes closed to the little monster he is now!

(Sorry I know it's long........) :)

Dr Phil moment here....it's clear that your brother isn't into taking responsibility for the pup (and while I agree some disciplinary actions might be in order) -- frankly, if it could be accomplished, he'd be resentful and it would be bad for the pup. Not everyone is ready for a young puppy, mature enough to take on the job, or even a dog person. Accept that and move on to the next set of questions for consideration.

So, you're the responsible one and you like dogs. That's great and you've done a terrific job with the pup so far. He owes his life to you. And you are really attached to the little critter. Look into your heart. If you don't want to take on everything to do with the pup then you might want to content yourself with a job well done as far as saving his life and start looking for a forever home for him.

If you decide to keep the little monster, you have to forever let go of the litany that that he was "supposed to be my brother's dog" - he doesn't want him, probably never did - and if he's a little monster now (I know you say that with love) , wait until the puppy monster time really begins... raising a pup is a wonderfully rewarding experience, especially a Border Collie, but it's a heck of a lot of work. If you do it right, you'll have the best dog you'll ever know. If you don't want to put your whole heart into it, then it's best to let him go now to a good home.

ETA - He's a tiny pup and HAS to go potty very often. If you do decide to keep him, and are gone from home for longer than he needs bathroom breaks, invest X-PEN and use a thick layer of newspapers and those puppy pee pads, so that he and Angel are separated. Put him in an area where he won't damage the floor and lay a piece of plastic down, Put the X pen over it, add a thick layer of news papers in one corner, the puppy pee pad on top and an old bath towel and some chew toys another corner. He'll stay clean. He wants to be clean. You can eventually transfer him to a crate as his bladder can take it.

Best,

Liz

Okay, no no no. Please understand. Alex does want Gizmo. He is still having a tough time coming to terms that Angel is MY dog. He just doesn't want the responsibility. Which is a problem, because, it's his dog. It has taken a lot of adjusting for him to come into our home, but we are dealing with it. I have problems with it, only because it is making Angel depressed, and I hate that she isn't happy. It's almost bringing me to tears. But, even though it would be best for Angel, my baby, I couldn't ever give Gizmo to another home. There is a home, the would very happily take him, and I would get the chance to see him whenever I wanted, but it's just to much. I like him a lot, I probably do love him, and it would hurt to give him up, even to family. (The home he would be welcomed to)I understand he has to potty often, but it's hard with him. He can wait hours to not go, then go in the house. Potty training Angel was much different. She ate outside, and stayed until she went potty, usually within 15 min. But, like I said, Gizmo waits a long time. After Angel went potty, she would come in for a few hours, or something (I don't remember, I was five) then she would go into her kennel until food time. We can't do that with Gizmo, my brother just takes him out.

I have to clean up Alex's messes, because I want the puppy to stay. Alex very much lives at home, he just graduated highschool, so he's in that teenager/adult I don't have to clean up my messes stage. (I pray I don't go through that, and I really don't know if it's even an actual stage, but he does.) One of the reasons I clean up the messes, is I HATE seeing people get in trouble. I get guilty for no reason and I feel bad for the next week. Another, is again, I want the puppy to stay. I would love to make him mine, but I really can't. Ashley wouldn't allow it, and neither would Alex. I can say he's my dog, but only when they aren't around, and as long as the people I say it to, don't say anything. And he listens to my dad, but my dad is hardly never home, or awake, the only time he's around is on his seven off, but then he has school as well, so, he isn't around for the majority of his messes. But, Alex got a bit of a wake-up call this morning. Gizmo got into my parents room. My mom had a small bag of dog food sitting in a cloth bag on the floor. Gizmo got into the bag and tore the dog food bag open and ate A LOT of food. Then he pooped in there. My dad found it. Alex cleaned up the mess.

And when Alex cleans up the mess he does it all wrong! He leaves the stain on the carpet. Grrr.

P.S. I'd love to smack some sense into him, but then I'd just get in trouble, and he'd body check (I think that's what it's called?)me.

Again, sorry it's long. I tend to type a lot...

P.P.S. I don't mind taking on the responsibility of both dogs. I honestly don't. I plan on having many dogs at a time when I leave the house, and it's practice right? It just irritates me, because it is his dog. He found it, it's his. It's almost compulsive for me to try to get people out of trouble.

Okay, no no no. Please understand. Alex does want Gizmo. He is still having a tough time coming to terms that Angel is MY dog. He just doesn't want the responsibility. Which is a problem, because, it's his dog.

Please re-read what you wrote. Having a dog is a TON of responsibility, and the care and training this pup will need will only increase over time.

But, even though it would be best for Angel, my baby, I couldn't ever give Gizmo to another home.

You have to do whats best for Gizmo, he can't make these choices for himself. If Alex cannot give him structure, consistency and training your puppy is going to grow up to have a lot of behavioral issues. Either he needs to go to a home where he will get the attention he needs, or you need to take him as yours and do what needs to be done, or Alex needs to. It sounds like Alex isn't going to, and its Gizmo who will suffer.

Gizmo is learning bad habits and its likely he is confused about what he is supposed to do. He is a tiny BABY.

I know this sounds harsh, and I am sorry, as I don't know you at all. But this situation sounds like you are setting up the puppy for failure. As much as it would hurt to let him go now, or how much Alex would feel bad losing the puppy to you, its better to have that now than to have a 8 month old pup still pooping everywhere and destroying things, and your folks decide he has to go.

I'm 48 years old, and I think I used to be a lot like you. Time and experience reshape the way we think about the world. And from your posts, I'd say that you have to learn some hard lessons particularly early, because the more adult people around you aren't showing very good judgment.

Please understand. Alex does want Gizmo. He just doesn't want the responsibility.

That's the thing about being an adult. He doesn't get to have one and not the other. Life IS responsibility. Adulthood IS a long stream of doing things you don't feel like doing, because the bigger thing you want makes it worth the effort.

I suspect Alex would describe things differently, but from what you've written, it sounds like he's bullying you. Essentially, Alex is saying: "I'm not cleaning it up, and I know you'll feel really bad if I get in trouble or if the dog gets sent to live away, so I'm going to play my cards cleverly and MAKE you do what I don't want to do." Alex gets to have his cake (puppy) and eat it too (no work).

Seriously - if you tolerate that from people in your life, you're setting yourself up for a long string of bad relationships and possibly an intolerable marriage. It's not your job to clean up Alex's messes - either literal or figural - and it's intensely wrong for him to let you. All you do by cleaning up after him is teach him that it's OK to treat you that way. Grr. I'm all worked up.

Sounds like your parents are also either oblivious to what your brother is doing, or too busy to deal with a responsibility they have accepted. (And yes, adults own the ultimate responsibility for what happens to animals in their care, even if they pretend to lay it all on the kids' shoulders.) That also has me worked up. If your family - especially Alex - can't absorb the responsibility of training and caring for this puppy, then it's your parents' duty to make the call to send the puppy elsewhere to live.

But, even though it would be best for Angel, my baby, I couldn't ever give Gizmo to another home.

Again, someone said it, but it's not about you. It's about what's best for Gizmo. This has the potential to be a long downhill slide from cute pup to poorly behaved adolescent dog - very difficult to rehome.

This is a perfect opportunity for you to step up and practice a skill you will need later in life: standing up for yourself. Tell Alex that he needs to own this dog and all the work, and that you're not going to cover for him anymore. If he really loves the dog and wants Gizmo to be "his," he'll do what needs to be done. If not, then you'll know that he made the call - not you. The responsibility for this good or bad decision is all his.

Good luck. This is a hard thing you're describing, with a pup in the middle.

Mary

Again, someone said it, but it's not about you. It's about what's best for Gizmo. This has the potential to be a long downhill slide from cute pup to poorly behaved adolescent dog - very difficult to rehome.

Mary

I think what Mary says here is very important to consider. You did a wonderful thing, saving Gizmo's life, but it seems the stress and strain of raising a very young puppy is really draining on you and causing considerable agitation in your family. You are heading into a very important, impressionable time in a puppy's life and there is going to be even more hard work and dedication involved. It's definitely not a one-person job!

There is a home, the would very happily take him, and I would get the chance to see him whenever I wanted, but it's just to much. I like him a lot, I probably do love him, and it would hurt to give him up, even to family. (The home he would be welcomed to)I understand he has to potty often, but it's hard with him.

If the other family is competent and willing to take him in, why don't you let them have him and then you could see him and enjoy him often without all of the upsetting family drama. You could enjoy your older dog again but still be able to keep tabs on Gizmo. You could be his favorite aunt!

Just curious, if your brother just graduated from high school, are you younger? Raising an orphaned puppy is time-consuming, detailed work even for adults......I can't imagine trying to do this as a young kid.

You have to do whats best for Gizmo, he can't make these choices for himself. If Alex cannot give him structure, consistency and training your puppy is going to grow up to have a lot of behavioral issues. Either he needs to go to a home where he will get the attention he needs, or you need to take him as yours and do what needs to be done, or Alex needs to. It sounds like Alex isn't going to, and its Gizmo who will suffer.

Gizmo is learning bad habits and its likely he is confused about what he is supposed to do. He is a tiny BABY......... this situation sounds like you are setting up the puppy for failure. As much as it would hurt to let him go now, or how much Alex would feel bad losing the puppy to you, its better to have that now than to have a 8 month old pup still pooping everywhere and destroying things, and your folks decide he has to go.

I completely second this. You truly must consider what is best for Gizmo, because if you do not the result may be, as has been stated above, that he learns terrible habits, and becomes an out-of-control teenage dog who ends up in a shelter, unwanted by anyone.

I also second the statement that, if you continue covering for your brother, your brother will only continue to leave the mess for you to clean up. You must stop doing this. If Alex won't clean up, then the puppy could become yours, because you will clean up. Or, the puppy will go to a new home. Either way,

Gizmo desperately needs kindness, patience, understanding, and most of all, TRAINING. An untrained border collie can be a nightmare to live with, and additionally an untrained border collie is usually a very unhappy and frustrated dog. You want better than that for Gizmo. We here all want better than that for Gizmo. Right now the course of his life will be determined, and it can be good or bad. It sounds as though you are the one who is in a position to influence that. I sincerely hope that you will make the right choices.

D'Elle

I'm going to pile on with the others here, and go a step further. If Gizmo continues to be in such a situation, with little training and even less structure, so that he learns what to do and what not to do, you run the risk of him biting someone someday.

You're saying, No, not Gizmo, he's such a sweetie. Well, that sweetie is a dog, and with the level of chaos in his life, he's going to get frustrated and either fearful or angry. And dogs bite when they get fearful or angry, and if no one is taking consistent responsibility for them/

A border collie is a big enough dog that the bite will likely be reported, and Gizmo will probably be put to sleep. Harsh, but a very real concern, given what you're describing.

This is about what's best for Gizmo and for Angel, too. Real adults make difficult decisions, painful decisions. Please stand up for Gizmo. Please don't take on any more of your brother's responsibilities. Do you want to be raising his kids for him someday, because he really wants to be a father but doesn't want to change diapers?

Please, please, please consider Gizmo as your top priority.

Ruth

And don't forget that (by your own words) this is having an adverse effect on Angel, too.

You have tried so hard but I have to second what many have said - what needs to be done is what is going to be best for Gizmo (and Angel) in the long run. Your brother sounds totally unready for the responsibility, and I think he needs some time to grow up before ever having a pup or dog, for the animal's sake.

Very best wishes working this out!

Right now Gizmo has the potential to be ANY kind of dog. He can become a well trained, well liked dog. A dog that is a pleasure to be around. He can also become an ill mannered, destructive dog. A dog no one wants to be around. Right now he is completely re home-able. Soon, you will find it hard to even get a rescue to take him. He will have several bite histories, he will be out of control and he will have a view of the world that is both unfair and chaotic. If you love this pup, even a little, please, please, contact a reputable rescue and let them have him. They will find a home that is suitable for him. They will put him in a foster home that will give him the structure and discipline necessary for him to grow into a well balanced dog. Yes, at this stage Gizmo can become anything. A happy, healthy, well adjusted dog, or he can become a dog waiting his turn on death row. I know this sounds harsh. But it's not really. It is reality. Please, if there is any compassion in you for this pup, do what's best for him. Not your brother, not for you, but for the pup. Look in his eyes and tell me what you will see in a year when he is taken to be pts for something you could have prevented by acting now. This is not a "project" or a practice for when you get to have lots of dogs when you grow up. This is a pups LIFE.

If the other family is competent and willing to take him in, why don't you let them have him and then you could see him and enjoy him often without all of the upsetting family drama. You could enjoy your older dog again but still be able to keep tabs on Gizmo. You could be his favorite aunt!

Just curious, if your brother just graduated from high school, are you younger? Raising an orphaned puppy is time-consuming, detailed work even for adults......I can't imagine trying to do this as a young kid.

I'm 14. And I understand it isn't about me. It's about Gizmo. And Angel. Angel is taking a huge toll because of him. I am his favorite aunt. He listens to me the most, out of me Alex and Ashley, but he is their dog. I can't take him away from them. It's not like I don't want to. I really do want him. But it their dog. They found him. Ashley took him the very first night of his life with us. He just isn't my dog. It's really hard to explain. And I don't think I'd mind giving him to the family afterr awhile, but right now, I don't think it would be the best thing for him. They have an older puppy, he weighs probably 120 lbs, and the dog really likes to play. Gizmo weighs 5 lbs. Or there about.

Please understand that I understand what you are all saying, but you must also understand that I am taking a stand for myself. If Alex is around to clean up the mess, I call him down, and tell him he has a mess to clean up. But, when he isn't home, I'm the one left to do it. He's often out with friends and such. Also please understand, that Gizmo is getting training. He gets reprimanded for going potty in the house. He gets reprimanded for bothering Angel. I am planning on talking to my parents about it. That maybe I should be the one that owns Gizmo, because I am doing the majority of the training, I am doing the majority of the clean up.

But please also understand that I am just a kid. I want to take responsiblity for his life, because I KNOW I could do well with him. I KNOW I could. But Alex is in the way. Ashley to. It's HER dog as well. She's always wanted a dog, and he's her baby. This little puppy has taught me so much. He's given me some patience, he's taught me that if something completely unexpected lands in your lap, you need to conform. You need to change and make room for that something. He's also an amazing birthcontrol ( sorry ). But again. I'm just a child.

And I have told Alex, again and again that it's HIS dog. He needs to take the responsibility for him.

I'm trying to hard to decide whats right for him, but again. I'm just a kid. I a kid that's going from two years or reclusivness, to the middle of highschool. Please please understand that I am really trying. Trying my hardest.

I completely agree with this statement.

Behavioral problems are not an easy fix. I have fostered many unwanted Border Collies because the owners couldn't deal with the behavioral problems, or they got too out of control. It is very sad, but it's reality. Border Collies especially, if bored, can create their own "games," whether it be ripping out all the carpet or wallpaper in the house, digging holes in the yard, nipping children, chasing cars or bikes or even airplanes, etc. I have had foster dogs with these problems, including an airplane chaser.

Here are some horror stories you can read:

http://www.bcrescue.org/bchorror.html

I do hope that you do what's best for Gizmo. Don't let him be another statistic.

I'm trying to hard to decide whats right for him, but again. I'm just a kid... Please please understand that I am really trying. Trying my hardest.

We do understand that. I think that's why most of us are so worried. This is too big a problem for you to manage.

Consider that when you go to HS, you'll be gone 6 - 8 hours a day, minimum. If you join clubs, you'll be gone longer than that. Alex isn't around, your dad isn't around, and it sounds like your mother isn't that into the puppy.

Your brother and his girlfriend are still kids, too. They say they want the dog, but they're not around to care for it. Their behavior tells you they're not able to care for their pup. Their words and their feelings don't mean much if their behavior isn't reliable.

You have done amazing work with this puppy, and your willingness to consider rehoming when the time is more appropriate shows maturity. I trust that you'll continue to keep the puppy front and center in your mind as he approaches the age when adoption is more feasible.

Mary

You are trying and I really commend you for that!! I did want to comment on this

He gets reprimanded for going potty in the house. He gets reprimanded for bothering Angel.

He's a baby, he shouldn't be getting reprimanded for this sort of thing. It needs to be prevented. Babies don't understand what they are supposed to do. you teach them as they are old enough. He has no clue about where he is supposed to go and reprimanding him is just going to confuse him.

If he soils in the house, it's human error, not his fault. He needs to go and he goes - just like any baby. He can't hold it very long and certainly can't be expected to be housebroken at seven weeks - especially when he's been allowed to go in the house!

The same thing with annoying Angel. He's a baby. Most baby puppies have a mom and siblings to harass and play with - it's normal healthy puppy behavior!! He just wants someone to play with!! Instead of correcting him, he needs to be removed from the situation and given something to do!! If he's bugging her, (which I'd really try hard to prevent in the first place!!) take him out and play with him. Help him run off the puppy energy and start teaching him self control in a positive manner!

I'm 14. And I understand it isn't about me. It's about Gizmo. And Angel. Angel is taking a huge toll because of him. I am his favorite aunt. He listens to me the most, out of me Alex and Ashley, but he is their dog. I can't take him away from them. It's not like I don't want to. I really do want him. But it their dog. They found him. Ashley took him the very first night of his life with us. He just isn't my dog. It's really hard to explain. And I don't think I'd mind giving him to the family afterr awhile, but right now, I don't think it would be the best thing for him. They have an older puppy, he weighs probably 120 lbs, and the dog really likes to play. Gizmo weighs 5 lbs. Or there about.

Please understand that I understand what you are all saying, but you must also understand that I am taking a stand for myself. If Alex is around to clean up the mess, I call him down, and tell him he has a mess to clean up. But, when he isn't home, I'm the one left to do it. He's often out with friends and such. Also please understand, that Gizmo is getting training. He gets reprimanded for going potty in the house. He gets reprimanded for bothering Angel. I am planning on talking to my parents about it. That maybe I should be the one that owns Gizmo, because I am doing the majority of the training, I am doing the majority of the clean up.

But please also understand that I am just a kid. I want to take responsiblity for his life, because I KNOW I could do well with him. I KNOW I could. But Alex is in the way. Ashley to. It's HER dog as well. She's always wanted a dog, and he's her baby. This little puppy has taught me so much. He's given me some patience, he's taught me that if something completely unexpected lands in your lap, you need to conform. You need to change and make room for that something. He's also an amazing birthcontrol ( sorry ). But again. I'm just a child.

And I have told Alex, again and again that it's HIS dog. He needs to take the responsibility for him.

I'm trying to hard to decide whats right for him, but again. I'm just a kid. I a kid that's going from two years or reclusivness, to the middle of highschool. Please please understand that I am really trying. Trying my hardest.

I think you are an amazingly mature young lady and yes, you are right. A puppy is a really good case for birth control because having one is just like having a baby. You've laid out the facts very clearly now; you have no control over the situation other than the fact that when no one else is around that you take care of the pup. So, do the best you can. Talk with you Mom a bit, maybe. See if she can be the "bad guy" with brother and girlfriend so that you don't have to.

Have her also see if there's a better way that to limit the amount of space the pup has when he's not out -- again HER suggestion (i.e. the X-Pen that I suggested before. If you can borrow one that's best as it will work only for a few more weeks anyway). After that, he'll have to start crate or kennel training. When you are "babysitting" you can help him to learn manners, at least with you and when he's with the others, he's not your problem. You will quickly find, as with children, he'll behave with you because you enforce manners, including being nice to Angel (he can learn that), especially if he has another dog to play with. I expect you'll find he'll gravitate to you as Border Collies appreciate discipline and order...and once your brother's girlfriend finds her shoes shredded and her favorite shirt torn to bits, she's not going to want him. It won't take very long...

You're doing a good job. Hang in there.

Liz

Please, please do not "reprimand" him for going potty in the house. As was said above, he is only a BABY. And he has not had the advantages of growing up with a dog family to teach him things. Would you reprimand a human baby for going potty in his diapers? Of course not. It would be unreasonable and cruel. It is the same thing. What you need to do with a baby dog is similar to what you do with a baby human: you PREVENT it from being able to go potty where it is inappropriate. That takes constant supervision and/ or X-pen or crate training. It also is not appropriate to reprimand him for trying to play with another dog. He needs to play and doesn't understand why he is being scolded. This is only going to confuse him greatly. Protect Angel from him by not allowing him to be around her if he is hassling her.

Please don't take what we say as criticism. You are a remarkable kid, and I admire your trying so hard with this little guy. Please know that all of us here are very, very glad that you are posting here for assistance, and we want to help as much as we can. If you can re-home him, I bet you anything that we can help you to find an awesome home for him - a place with one of us, where he will be treated very well his whole life. Ask for our help with this and we will step up.

Please keep posting here, and know that we all support you and want to help.

Sending you and Gizmo lots of good luck mojo....

D'Elle

Archived