BC Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Billadeau

Anyone us Swat on their dogs

Sam, our Maremma, was seriously injured last Monday. He did not show up when we gathered the sheep Monday morning but we just figured he was out roaming. After we returned from running errands in the morning we gathered the sheep again to find Sam. He did not come in with the sheep. We eventually found him under our travel trailer. He was 3-legged lame. I checked him for broken bones and wounds but did not find any. I did find one toe was very sore. I figured he strained his paw so we put him up in the lower part of our barn (when he spends his days) to rest. Later that afternoon we checked on him and his paw was very swollen and he was lethargic. After a quick phone call for an "educated opinion" (THANKS) we took Sam to the e-vet. His temp was 105 and they found two small punctures on the top of his toe. They were not sure if it was a snake bite (only copperheads are in our area) or punctures and bacterial infection. They treated and were going to send him home with us (we were to monitor his temp and treat with the prescribed antibiotics). The staff was charmed by Sam and wanted to clean him up (he's shedding his winter coat). They rechecked his temp which was now 106.5 which required immediate IVs and cold packs. He spent the night at the e-vet (temp was normal and stable) and then was transferred to our vet the next day.

When he came home his paw was oozing purulent-bloody fluid, it was very swollen as was his leg. The swelling has been going down and the oozing has stopped (except when he can reposition the Elizabethan collar to be able to lick his paw). His paw continues to slough off necrotic tissue and split in new locations but there is also healing evident. We'd like to let his spend more time outside (he would enjoy this) but we want to protect his wounds from insects.

Has anyone used Swat on their dogs and if so how well did it work? We've used it on sheep but haven't on our dogs (it is labeled for use on dogs).

Mark

Poor Sam! I think I'd give it a try since it is labelled, as long as he can't/won't lick it.

Give the big boy a pat for me.

I use SWAT on my dogs, I put it on the ear tips of my Border Collies to keep the flies from "chewing" the dogs' ears bloody and I use it on my LGD, on the top of his nose/muzzle where the flies seem to love to land and bite. I have not seen any adverse reaction to using SWAT. I don't know about putting it on an oozing wound.... you could probably smear it on the leg/paw around the open areas to keep flies off the area. Whatever happens I hope he heals well and soon.

Hi Mark,

I've used SWAT as above, to protect ears being chewed up by flies and it *definitely* works for that. I've also used it at Robin's trial when the ticks were bad at the set out--coated the legs and bellies of the dogs (what a mess, but it seemed to work). It's certainly sticky enough to stay put if Sam doesn't lick it off.

Would the medicated screw worm spray work (though don't know about safety for dogs, but I've had luck with injured sheep applying it just once or twice a day and it keeps flies well away)?

J.

I've used Swat on guard dogs and Border Collies just like the above...ears & noses to keep flies off. It works great. I hope Sam gets better quickly. It can be stressful to LGDs to be away from their sheep even if it's for their own good.

Laura

Coming in late, but in our mixed animal practice we frequently use screw worm spray on dogs as Julie mentions and we've not seen any ill effects. The active ingredient is permethrin (don't use on cats), and SWAT contains pyrethrin...so they're pretty much the same thing.

Hope Sammy's turning a corner, Mark.

The swelling is gone so is the oozing. Tissue continues to retract off the center of his paw (where the skin split) which leads to some bleeding. I suspect the swelling separated the surface tissue from the lower tissue layers. Sammy was not happy with Blue Kote, the isopropanol stings.

Sammy was not happy with Blue Kote, the isopropanol stings.

It does, I've used it on myself when I was trimming feet and ended up with the pointy end stuck in my hand. I didn't want to go up to the house and wash and bandage it so I just rinsed it, dried it on my jeans and then sprayed the heck out of it. It works well. I'm wishing him a speedy recovery!

Laura