BC Boards

Pasture management

ejano

My 4 month old lambs are disappearing in their acre pasture -- the grass is growing so high, they are reluctant to go out into it and they sure can't keep up with it. The grass is ripening -- if we brush hog half the pasture down to about six inches, then do the other half in a few weeks, will that suit both the sheep and the pasture? I'm trying to guess at a mowing schedule ...I have other places I can turn them out if it wears down later in the season...

Liz

That sounds reasonable; once the field goes above your boots (over 8 inches) sheep are way less inclined to go into the deep stuff..unless forced.

So bushhog a portion, you could do it in strips; YOu don't have many lambs, so just one pass, leave it 2 weeks, one strip, and again...and so on

cynthia

That sounds reasonable; once the field goes above your boots (over 8 inches) sheep are way less inclined to go into the deep stuff..unless forced.

So bushhog a portion, you could do it in strips; YOu don't have many lambs, so just one pass, leave it 2 weeks, one strip, and again...and so on

cynthia

Sounds like a plan -- thanks! :)

Archived