BC Boards

Hahaha!

I think Gizmo is trying to herd our other dog! Haha, Angel (other dog)has been being chased around by five week old Gizmo for the past week! He follows her around if he sees her, until she runs away from him/ he loses sight of her. It's really cute, though Angel hates it.

They definitely have habits of doing that, without a doubt.

It is cute, but you have to make sure that they get socalized properly where it concerns animals like cats and the like--so they won't "herd" them. However, for me I still constantly catch Cricket "herding" or "chasing" the cats and I just scold her and correct her as best as I can, so. <_<

You might not have any smaller animals on the land, though! I'd love to see pictures. :D

If your other dog does not like this behavior, then it isn't something you should tolerate. Just because something seems amusing to you doesn't mean it isn't rude behavior. Gizmo isn't "herding" Angel, he's annoying her with his behavior and you would be doing her a favor by preventing this harassment.

There have been numerous discussions about puppies or dogs "herding" other animals or children. The common consensus is that it is undesirable behavior and should be eliminated by training and management. I am sure others will chime in with good advice on how to deal with this but, in the meantime, stand up for Angel by preventing this behavior that you say she "hates", please.

This is a form of rude puppy behavior and if Angel is not capable of letting Gizmo know she won't tolerate it, you need to be on her side and do it for her.

I agree- examine any behavior your puppy is showing and ask yourself, "Will this be cute when the puppy is an adult?" The answer is almost always no, I learned the hard way- Jade follows the cat and stares at her All. Day. Long. and I have been unable to get her to stop. Fortunately the cat doesn't care and she isn't stressed out from Jade's behavior, but that's something I wish I had stopped when she was a puppy.

Everybody is right on this, as I said you'll probably want to train him properly when it comes to this habit. No, it's definitely not as adorable when they're older - I speak from experience!

As I said, Cricket was scolded as a youngster for chasing cats and behaving badly when it came to habits like Gizmo's current one, and she still does it. We keep scolding and keep rewarding when she does good regardless.

I agree with everyone else, I get on Rhett's(15 week old) case when ever he tries to "herd" Brody(the pug/x.) As it will NOT be cute when he is 2x his size and bites the back of his legs! I do however make him work on something better to do as I feel that it means that he is bored and need mental stimulates!

I, however, dont have to scold him when he does it with the cat cause Ducki loves taking chunks out of his nose!HAHAHA

Sorry I haven't replied sooner. We've been having internet problems and we haven't been home a bunch. We are scolding him for it, and Angel know's we're standing up for her when Gizmo starts it. And he knows its wrong, but he's just being a little jerk with it. He's getting better about it, and so is she. But she is coming to the extreme end on it, she barks a very harsh bark we've never heard before if he comes any where near her. But, again, sorry I've not replied sooner. It was just really cute when he first started, now it is getting annoying, though he is slowing down with it. I'll post some pics in a bit.

Archived