BC Boards

Hey, new here...

Well, I'm newish here. I joined about a month ago, but I forgot the account info until just now. My name is Dani, and we found a young (Once thought 4 day old, now known new born to one day old) puppy. We found him Easter Sunday last month with eyes closed and cord still attached. He was near an 'abandoned' sheepherders camp. We had seen the herders leave that morning, and we went for a ride on our ATV's. We stopped by the camp to just look at it. My brother and his girlfriend (they found him) heard a loud crying and found him laying near a dead lamb. We brought him to the vet the next day, they checked him out, gave us to okay and sent us home after showing us how to feed him and make him potty. We originally named him Lucky, hence my name, but his permanant name is Gizmo. How do I change my name? I will post pictures of him later, I only have pictures from the first few days we had him.

Welcome to the BC Boards. And I agree, your Gizmo is indeed one lucky baby. Where are you located? Thanks for saving him, and I and my pack wish you the very best of luck with him! (Photos, please!!)

D'Elle

We're from Utah, the weekend we found him was cold,and he wouldn't have survived much longer. There was a dog leg laying near him. I'll post some pics now, and some later once I get them off the camera. post-12230-091317800 1306087977_thumb.jpgpost-12230-080019100 1306089692_thumb.jpg

post-12230-022423500 1306087960_thumb.jpg

post-12230-017772800 1306087999_thumb.jpg

post-12230-065885000 1306089504_thumb.jpg

The first four are the first few days we had him. The last one is from last night

Super cute! I think it's great that you have saved him; it can't be easy to do with a newborn.

I don't understand the abandoned camp though--did somebody just leave one of their pups behind? Why would they do that?

OK, I'm realizing now that you've had the puppy for a month. (In the other post, I thought you had just gotten him.) Congratulations on keeping him alive. I'm overwhelmed just reading about the work a new puppy requires.

TINY MICROSCOPIC PUPPY TOENAILS! Too cute!

Mary

Super cute! I think it's great that you have saved him; it can't be easy to do with a newborn.

I don't understand the abandoned camp though--did somebody just leave one of their pups behind? Why would they do that?

Well, we figure that he was the first born, and they didn't realize the mother had been in labor (We had seen them leaving that morning)

@mbc1963 - It was overwhelming at first, and my dog was very upset when she found him in bed with me that first morning, she hasn't been very happy with me since that. And thank you, he was very hard to take care of the first week, we had to hold him ALL the time or he would cry and cry (not that I blame him, the only reason we found him was because of his wailing, he probably has nightmares about abandonment( I swear he does, he cries in the night))

@Dixie_Girl There is nothing like it at all! He is very close to me, my mom and my brothers girlfriend. If one of our other family members is holding him and we talk, he wiggles so much!

He is just entering that crazy biting and crawling everywhere stage, right now he's fighting with a teddy bear of his. Growling and such. He's such a cutie. He already knows that "No" means he should stop doing what ever he is doing.

Wow, what an amazingly lucky puppy that you found him! I'm not surprised he needed the constant feeling of touching you. I doubt little newborn pups are ever out of physical contact with another warm puppy or mom. He is absolutely darling, and I look forward to seeing pictures and hearing stories as he grows up! What kind of dog is your other dog?

Wow, what an amazingly lucky puppy that you found him! I'm not surprised he needed the constant feeling of touching you. I doubt little newborn pups are ever out of physical contact with another warm puppy or mom. He is absolutely darling, and I look forward to seeing pictures and hearing stories as he grows up! What kind of dog is your other dog?

Yeah, my aunt would get so irritated that we would hold him 24/7, saying he would be to spoiled... and I thought the exact same thing; he wouldn't hardly ever be out of contact with his mother or siblings. And thank you, I feel so proud that he's gotten to where he is now. My other dog is a cockapoo, she's almost ten.

And of course I will keep anyone updated if they wish, I would be happy to.

Yes, please keep us updated. I am very interested in this thread! I know that if I found a tiny baby like that I would definitely commit to raising the pup....and then probably at some point I would say "what was I thinking?!"....but you gotta do what is in front of you to do, don't you? I once raised a baby bird I found fallen out of a nest because there was no way to get it back in. What else are you going to do? And raising that bird and releasing him into the wild again was one of the very best things that ever happened to me!

The best part for you and Gizmo is that you will probably have the most amazing bond with this puppy, and he will grow up to be a fantastic dog. Big congratulations on your success so far, and good for you to be willing to do all the work.

:)

D'Elle

:D Thank you. That fifth night was horror for me; I was tired and the crying whining puppy was driving me nuts. When I passed him off to my brother that day after he got out of school he thought I was just being rude because I wouldn't take care of the poor baby puppy. When I challenged him saying that I'd taken care of him all week long all day long, he didn't say anything. Haha, he wants the same thing he wants with my dog. He wants the playful fun side, while he passes me the cleaning up after and feeding and grooming them. My dog, I'm sad to say, seems to prefer his company over mine. Though, I can't really blame her, I, a five year old thought it was awesome to have a puppy that would fit in the attic to my doll house. (I was really rough with her, and I regret it now, but my little five year old mind just didn't understand the consequences to what I was doing. I stayed away for awhile after she bit my ear... Though Gizmo seems to prefer my company over his. A fair trade I suppose... Anyways, Gizmo is just so sweet and cute. He runs around attacking everything in sight, he's passed out in the middle of the floor right now. He is going to be a very hyper puppy that is going to drive us all crazy. But I'm so happy we've found him, and I must say I believe it's changed us for the better.

I'll deffinately keep you updated. Should I post in this thread or new ones?

Archived