BC Boards

Scout--young F b/w, blue eyes--Bowling Green, KY

This afternoon I spent about 40 minutes with Scout, a beautiful 3x returned adoptee at my local shelter, the Bowling Green-Warren County Humane Society. The shelter is rescue-friendly and will also work with out-of-area adopters.

Here is her PF link: http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/19599729. Each time she's been returned because she's too active for her adopters; therefore, the shelter would really like to see her in a home that will appreciate that energy and work with her to channel it productively.

It was difficult to get good photos of Scout when she was on-lead outdoors, so I brought her into the meet-and-greet room in the Adoption Center and decided to see what she thought about toys. Well, I think the photos speak for themselves about her love of toys and general energy level! :lol:

Aren't I cute?

IMG_1979.jpg

What's happening outside?

IMG_1964.jpg

Throw. the. toy.

IMG_1955.jpg

I enjoy this game!

IMG_1958.jpg

Now I'd like to try a different toy, and I know right where to find them!

IMG_1974.jpg

Hey! This one squeaks!

IMG_1981.jpg

Would someone who understands my energy level p-l-e-a-s-e adopt me?

IMG_1987.jpg

Physical: Scout seems to be in excellent physical condition. Her coat is soft and full, she has just a little tartar on her teeth, her eyes and ears are clean. She was fine with me handling her all over, including all four feet.

Behavioral: Scout is (obviously!) very energetic and also very strong, pulling on the leash. She is also affectionate--as soon as I walked into her run, she came bolting in (she had been in the outside section) and climbed all over me. As shown in the photos, she really enjoys playing with toys, and most times she brought them back to me. She wanted to tug with them many times, and other times she dropped them at my feet and sat politely waiting for me to throw them again. She uses her front feet a lot like my parents' lab does--to reach out and pull things to her.

More info: If anyone has questions about Scout, feel free to contact the shelter (270-783-9404) to learn more about her. I would also be happy to make a repeat visit to hang out with her if there is something I've overlooked in my initial evaluation--and I have a ton more photos. If there is a particular angle or activity you'd like to see in a picture, just let me know, and I'll see if I can supply it. I really think she would be an awesome dog for someone who wants an enthusiastic companion!

Thanks, Jan! She would really be a great dog for the right person, and it's unfortunate that person hasn't been any of her previous adopters. :( I think she would blossom, though, with training. She was already listening better to me at the end of our visit than at the beginning.

I was surprised to see Scout listed as only 7 months on PF because I would have guessed her a little older (maybe a year?). But I expect the shelter has a good idea of her actual age since she's been in and out of there so frequently.

I was surprised to see Scout listed as only 7 months on PF because I would have guessed her a little older (maybe a year?). But I expect the shelter has a good idea of her actual age since she's been in and out of there so frequently.

At 7 months, no one should be surprised that she's full of energy. Alas, shelters are so desperate to adopt out dogs that they make little or no effort to match a dog with appropriate owners. I hope she finds her right match soon.

Alas, shelters are so desperate to adopt out dogs that they make little or no effort to match a dog with appropriate owners.

You mean SOME shelters. Certainly many of us don't fall into that category; I have a cropped and docked young doberman here in my shelter and more than one person has left disappointed (or outraged) when I declined their application for him because they lack the dog handling skills I think he requires.

Just sayin' - a shelter is not a shelter is not a shelter, necessarily. Some of us are neither desperate, nor bad at placements.

But I'd really like someone worthy to come take Stryder off my hands. I luff him, but he wants his own (doberman-savvy) home.

RDM

Thanks, everyone, for your comments about Scout (whose PF listing was later revised to say "Maggie," the name on the tag she was wearing when I visited her last week). I just checked PF, and she's now listed as adopted. I sure hope this is the right match for her at last.

Me too. You can just tell from the pictures that she is very endearing but a LOT of dog!

Awesome! That's just what I was going for because I definitely found her both those things during our short time together! :D

The adoption coordinator at the shelter suggested I bring Scout/Maggie home to foster, since I had just brought in last week's foster who was leaving on transport that afternoon. Immediately after the words were out of her mouth, we both started cracking up at the idea of our s-l-o-w paced household trying to cope with this dog's energy level. :lol:

post-6923-065097600 1306177298_thumb.jpg