BC Boards

Welsh basic commands

Andlcs

I think you'd need to find and talk to someone who speaks Welsh commands, or who can make you an audio tape of Welsh commands. Welsh doesn't strike me as a language one can learn properly, without hearing how it's pronounced. Their spelling of vowel sounds and consonants is ... unique. ;) I was in Wales for 3 days on a recent holiday, and had occasion to hear Aled Owen speak Welsh to one of his dogs. Believe me, I had NO idea what those words were, let alone how to spell or repeat them. ;)

Best of luck.

~ Gloria

Can´t help you (unless you are also interested in the icelandic herding commands), but I am kind of intrigued why someone in Brazil would want to use welsh commands. Did you import a dog from Wales who doesn´t understand you...?

I come from Wales but, unfortuately, I am new to training border collies to sheep & only know English commands. I couldn't say whether a literal translation from the English would be the words used in Welsh. Do you know of any videos of Aled Owen where he uses Welsh commands then I might be able to write them down for you.

I suspect any videos of Aled, he'll just be using English, since he'd be speaking for an audience of students. When I was there, he just barked a couple words of correction, I think, but otherwise he only "spoke" to his dogs in whistles. :)

But if someone had a home video, informally filmed, of him working one of his dogs ... Not sure something like that would be easily found, though.

~ Gloria

Hello thank you guys for your replies.

I come from Wales but, unfortuately, I am new to training border collies to sheep & only know English commands. I couldn't say whether a literal translation from the English would be the words used in Welsh. Do you know of any videos of Aled Owen where he uses Welsh commands then I might be able to write them down for you.

here's a video of aled owen using his look back command in welsh (near 3min and 50 sec):

or here (at the second fetch near 2mins):

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6251834809262027053#

I'm going to upload a small video with the lie down and walk on commands.

Thank You.

Can´t help you (unless you are also interested in the icelandic herding commands), but I am kind of intrigued why someone in Brazil would want to use welsh commands. Did you import a dog from Wales who doesn´t understand you...?

hello, I like welsh trainers and the words they use and I'd like to learn commands in many languages. You can post in your language too! It could be useful to brace work with 2 or more dogs.

Hello thank you guys for your replies.

here's a video of aled owen using his look back command in welsh (near 3min and 50 sec):

or here (at the second fetch near 2mins):

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6251834809262027053#

I'm going to upload a small video with the lie down and walk on commands.

Thank You.

hello, I like welsh trainers and the words they use and I'd like to learn commands in many languages. You can post in your language too! It could be useful to brace work with 2 or more dogs.

Hello, I've listened & listened but can only make out the first word "bacio" (v. back). I'll email the clip to a friend & see whether he can make it out.

I posted earlier but apparently it got lost in cyberspace. Several years ago Working Sheepdog News (now International Sheepdog News) had a list of the Welsh commands and their pronounciation. If you contact some of the Welsh handlers maybe one will give the commands/pronounciation to you.

And Rosetta Stone, the language program for your computer has Welsh :)

Some of the commands aren't too hard, but I never did get a grasp of lie down! Why not use English and Spanish for different commands? I am training my young girl in Swedish ad I find it MUCH easier to pronounce!

Hello, I've listened & listened but can only make out the first word "bacio" (v. back). I'll email the clip to a friend & see whether he can make it out.

Thank you. I was told the other word is nol. On an online dictionary it says nol means "to fetch". So it kinda makes sense to fetch back.

Here's a video with the lie down command:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE-t0XHcL6U

(it's from Glyn Jones' (Bodfari) second DVD).

Thank You all.

Archived