BC Boards

Border Collie Puppy and Older Dog

I've had my new BC puppy for about a month. She came from parents with a strong Sheep Trial background. The pup is already herding our cats but they are quite dog savvy. My question: the puppy jumps up and nips our adult Border Collie around the face. In the woods she runs along side of him and, again, jumps up and nips him. How much of this is "typical" BC puppy behavior or simple puppy behavior. Any ideas on how to effectively deal with with it.

I'm not sure how old your pup is, but if shes very young she will likely get away with murder with a male dog until she hits about 4-5 months and her "puppy license" expires and your older dog roars at her.

If he doesn't seem too stressed out about it and she isn't doing it 24/7, just when everyone is out running, I'd let him deal with it when he is ready (and don't be too alarmed when he finally has had enough and yells at her and let him correct her...he will likely make it sound awful but that's OK). But make sure he has plenty of puppy free hours in his day and don't let him be bothered when he is sleeping or eating..

If shes hassling him all the time, teach her what "thats enough" means (it means stop now or there will be a consequence) and pop her in a crate for 5 minutes if she doesn't quit.

This is normal like rush said. To give a brief example, Toby was just about 2 years old when my brother/sister-inlaw got their golden retriever puppy. They spend a lot of time at my house and this litle furball was ALL over Toby, hanging off his ears, his face, his tail. Toby just rolled over and let it happen till the pup turned about 5 months old give/take a few weeks. The pup tried the behavior again and you would have thought Toby was going to tear the pup apart from the noise that was made.

That happened twice on two separte occassions and the pup got the message. Now said pup is 18 months and they are best of friends.

Tim

I'm not sure how old your pup is, but if shes very young she will likely get away with murder with a male dog until she hits about 4-5 months and her "puppy license" expires and your older dog roars at her.

If he doesn't seem too stressed out about it and she isn't doing it 24/7, just when everyone is out running, I'd let him deal with it when he is ready (and don't be too alarmed when he finally has had enough and yells at her and let him correct her...he will likely make it sound awful but that's OK). But make sure he has plenty of puppy free hours in his day and don't let him be bothered when he is sleeping oe eating..

If shes hassling him all the time, teach her what "thats enough means" (it means stop now or there will be a consequence) and pop her in a crate for 5 minutes if she doesn't quit.

Couldn't have said it better. :)

I also think it's pretty typical of any puppy, BC or not.

Archived