BC Boards

Housetraining Issue

My new pup is a little over 13 weeks old and I am having a major issue with her. She has to go out to pee every hour. If I don't bring her out, she will pee on the floor. I have never had this much trouble housetraining a dog, even my tiny little papillons! I thought she might have a UTI or something but if she is crated, she can go at least 3 hours...this is the longest I have crated her during the day. At night, she is put in the crate at 9pm and I don't take her out until 6 am and she has never had an accident. So, I am thinking that she, most likely, does not have a health issue. Has anyone else ever had an issue like this? What can I do to help train her to wait longer than 1 hour? I don't mind every 3-4 hours because my paps have to go that often but this 1 hour stuff is getting on my nerves. :)

Welcome!

I assume you are cleaning up accidents with an enzyme cleaner made just for this sort of thing because, if you are not, your dog is able to detect the spots where accidents have happened and that tells her that it's an okay place to relieve herself.

She's a pretty young pup - I have found that all of mine needed a quick trip out when waking, after eating or drinking, after playing, etc. My youngest dog, now two, was like yours in that I had to take him out every hour (it seemed like forever) or he'd go in the house. I was beginning to despair and then, one day, he went frantic to get outside and go potty, and he's been a totally clean boy ever since.

Since she is young and, I am sure, due for a well puppy exam shortly, I would make sure that she is checked for a UTI, just in case.

I am sure others will give much better advice as many have much more experience than I do. Best wishes!

Yes, she goes for another round of shots in 2 weeks and I will make sure she doesn't have a UTI then. I do clean the messes up thoroughly and then saturate the places with an enzyme cleaner. It's funny, she never uses the same area more than once. It's good to hear that other dogs have done this same thing. Thanks for the help!

I had a bitch puppy once who had an issue as she grew with her urethra sometimes being positioned in a way that was allowing "back flow" and she had many UTIs as she was growing, until she finally became an adult and all her plumbing was in the right places.

I would also like to chime in and say take her to be checked for UTI. And please do not wait 2 weeks until she's scheduled to go in again. If it actually is a UTI, that time will allow it to get much, much worse and they can be life threatening.

If that is not it, then try tethering her to you at all times. If she is not tied to your body then she is outside or in the crate. This will allow you to see the signs and get her outside before she pees. She's probably a good smart dog and will learn her potty training quickly once she is given no chance to potty in the house.

Good luck and welcome to the boards.

D'Elle

I'm not sure I see what the problem is. She is 13 weeks old. If I have a 13 week old puppy that is awake and running around, I make sure to get them outside AT LEAST on the hour. When a puppy is awake and bouncing around/playing, they have to go.

The fact that she can hold it for longer periods while in the crate leads me to believe it's not a health issue. It's a puppy issue. When they have to go, they have to go -- So while doing the initial training, I tend to take them out every hour (that they are awake and uncrated). If they are having a particularly boisterous play session with another dog or with me, I might even take them out sooner to be safe.

I try not to wait for the dog to show signs that it has to go -- I prefer that a dog learn to potty on my schedule. When we go outside, you go potty. My dogs don't tend to ask to go outside (unless it's an emergency) because they trust that I'll let them out within a reasonable time frame. And when they are puppies, that time frame is very frequent. I may go overboard, but we tend to have very few accidents in the house during potty training time.

I'm not sure I see what the problem is. She is 13 weeks old. If I have a 13 week old puppy that is awake and running around, I make sure to get them outside AT LEAST on the hour. When a puppy is awake and bouncing around/playing, they have to go.

I agree. And I would add that like little children, they don't really know they have to go until they really, have. to. go. I've had male puppies that I took out literally every 15 minutes, including the most recent male puppy.

She's a baby, and there's simply no way she's going to hold it for 3-4 hours when she's running around and playing. Your expectations are way too high.

J.

I agree. And I would add that like little children, they don't really know they have to go until they really, have. to. go. I've had male puppies that I took out literally every 15 minutes, including the most recent male puppy.

She's a baby, and there's simply no way she's going to hold it for 3-4 hours when she's running around and playing. Your expectations are way too high.

J.

Me, too.

She's very young and many young pups don't hold it very long at all. They are each individuals. Dan was certainly like that, he took longer than any pup I've had, and I did the best job training/monitoring him (and avoiding accidents in the house) than any of our other dogs. And he was always spotless in his crate/xpen from the day we brought him home from the airport. I didn't know a little pup could hold it like that at his young age (when crated/xpenned). I had a boy come by each day after school (and before I got home from work) to potty him but Dan would hold it for almost 8 hours (I had a litter box and papers in the xpen so he could go and not get messy, but he never did). But, outside the crate/xpen, it was necessary to take him out hourly.

Tethering is also a good idea, and I have used that with success.

Several of the female pups I have owned had UTIs. They could hold it for 8 hours at night, but tended to pee more than I thought was reasonable for their age. I always like to give a puppy the benefit of the doubt and check for a UTI if there is even a slight suspicion. They are easy to treat, so why make a pup suffer or risk long term damage?

Thanks to all. I did get her checked for a UTI today and she did have one so thank you for encouraging me not to wait. I have had border collies and papillons and various muts for the last 20+ years and have never encountered a UTI before! I should have prefaced my original post with the fact that I got Mika at 10 weeks and from day one she actually was able to hold it for up to 3 hours outside of the crate. However, I was afraid that I had actually trained her to need to go every hour because I was bringing her out after every nap and every rough play session. The needing to go every hour was something that began in the last week. So, I am glad I had her checked and know what the problem was. Thanks again!