BC Boards

wild violets harmful to sheep?

ejano

While putting up fence (Thank you Lord, it stopped raining -at least until mid-afternoon!), I noticed a concentration of wild violets in a certain section of the field -- I checked Cornell and Penn State but didn't find them on the poisonous list -- would you consider them safe?

Liz

I am of the opinion that just because something may be toxic to some degree to a species doesn't necessarily mean it poses a problem. I know that people can eat violet flowers safely (as if that translates into sheep grazing :P ).

In general, when stock have plenty of safe and nutritious food to eat, the presence of most toxic plants is not an issue as they will not tend to eat them - most toxic plants are less palatable.

This is not the case for something like cherry leaves, which become very toxic and also very tasty when wilted, and therefore are readily ingested in enough quantities to cause harm even when other foods are plentiful.

I'll bet Bill Fosher can give you a definite answer - have you tried asking this on the Edgefield Sheep Production Forum?

My definitive answer is that I would not worry about it. NB that I did not say that I have any knowledge about the toxic properties or lack thereof of the wild violet, but I know that I have eaten them and I have seen sheep, chickens, and cattle eat them with out ill effect.

That Cornell list is a load of hooey. I really hope you're not fencing out clover and alfalfa, which are listed as toxic.

My definitive answer is that I would not worry about it. NB that I did not say that I have any knowledge about the toxic properties or lack thereof of the wild violet, but I know that I have eaten them and I have seen sheep, chickens, and cattle eat them with out ill effect.

That Cornell list is a load of hooey. I really hope you're not fencing out clover and alfalfa, which are listed as toxic.

Okay----how do I join your forum?

Liz