BC Boards

Keeping cool?

This is my second year of doing it... but to help my dogs stay cool. I get their under coat stripped.

It seem to really help last year. They outter coat is left alone elsewise the normal trimming(ears and feet). So they look "normal" still. It helps with getting burrs out and finding ticks. It also seem to keep them cooler.

I use Kool Collars. You put frozen gel packs in them and snap the collar around their necks, works well. http://www.koolcollarstore.com/

I've been looking at these, do they really work enough for a super poor girl to spend $20 on? We hike a lot and Sully has been getting really hot. We try to go where there are creeks, though there's not water throughout the whole trail...

I've been looking at these, do they really work enough for a super poor girl to spend $20 on? We hike a lot and Sully has been getting really hot. We try to go where there are creeks, though there's not water throughout the whole trail...

I think they work pretty good. I put them on after a hard workout and I believe they cool down a lot faster with them on. Plus the girls like the feel of them on their necks.

Also if the gel packs break you can put ice in the collars. There is a mesh lining on the neck side allowing cooling, but not direct contact.

Archived