BC Boards

Rescue dog issue

I rescued a long-legged fox terrier X Ridgeback from the street. She is aprox. 8 months. She is coming into her own after I had her spayed 10 days ago. Since 'feeling herself' again she is challenging my red BC (Mango). They've had 3 scraps in the last 2 days. All mainly because of being in close proximity of each other when I am near. When together and alone with my other rescue (a small fox terrier), they are all fine.

My BC is a bit timid/unsure ever since she got attacked and bit by a bull terrier about 2 years ago. I've worked really hard to get her right again and she has lost most of her 'spooks'. The newcomer, Laika, has taken to me and I think I should be more strict with her. Ensure she knows that I call the shots and she must behave. How else am I going to get her to stop scrapping with Mango?

Any advise will be appreciated....

I had this with my rescue too

The first thing I did with zero tolerance for fight - practice makes perfect and if you let them practice fighting they will get good at it

I took a step back and kept the dogs seperate more, but did alot of lead walking together

Only had them out together when I could supervise fully and ANY posturing, bullying, resource guarding, resource stealing, hard eyes, or just a feeling of tension in the air and the offender got a time out (I kept a house line on Mia and actually she was small enough that I could just pick her up and bundle her into her crate)

I also spent alot of time training them around each other - clicking Mia for watching me patting Ben, rewarding one for me feeding the other (her food agression was huge but I rewarded her as I was giving Ben a treat, then I waited a fraction of a sec, then longer and longer until I could give Ben a load of treats while she sat happily tail wagging knowing Ben getting treats ment she would get treats

also teaching a positive interuptor and a instant 'bed' command so I could distract her before things escalated

Hope that helps a little and you get ontop of this quick

for what its worth my two totaly adore each other now, they can eat treats scattered on the ground together

Pammyd has given you some excellent advice.

I have a similar situation that really, really caught me off guard. My oldest dog, Daisy, is a bc mix who is both dog and human reactive. Prior to adopting Riley, he came to visit a couple of times (and one wasn't' very good!) and I took them to a trainer so she could watch them interact together and get a decent prognosis on what their lives would be like together. He seemed to really respect her 'calming signals' and knew how to read her really well. He is incredibly friendly and super dog savvy and the prognosis was good. Everything went fine for almost 8 months and then one day, he went after her. I'm not even sure what triggered it, but it was most likely food related. After that, he tried to stalk her and keep her cornered. I'm not totally sure why this happened all of a sudden, but now I keep a close eye on him. He is not allowed to stalk or go after her. Luckily, if he starts to stalk, he is easily called off verbally, then I distract him with a game or something. It seemed to me that he was getting aroused during feeding time and Daisy gets excited too and will whimper sometimes when she's really excited about supper. I think that's what triggered him. So now, I crate him when I'm getting their food ready. The dishwasher was another source of tension, so I work with them being calm when the dishwasher door is open. Both are placed in a sit/stay on either side of me and I reward them for calm behaviour. I believe that because Riley spent the large part of his first year roaming and having to forage and scavenge for his own food amongst competition with other dogs, he is a bit of a guarder, albeit over the weirdest things (dishwasher!). I am lucky that I know where he came from and what kind of life he would have lived before coming to me, which is not a luxury most people get when adopting a rescue.

Otherwise the dogs actually get a long great and Riley is teaching Daisy how to play even. I just watch body posture and look for tension, distract and re-direct and if necessary, I crate the offender. It also helps if you understand the triggers and try to avoid them as much as possible.

I had this with my rescue too

The first thing I did with zero tolerance for fight - practice makes perfect and if you let them practice fighting they will get good at it

I took a step back and kept the dogs seperate more, but did alot of lead walking together

Only had them out together when I could supervise fully and ANY posturing, bullying, resource guarding, resource stealing, hard eyes, or just a feeling of tension in the air and the offender got a time out (I kept a house line on Mia and actually she was small enough that I could just pick her up and bundle her into her crate)

I also spent alot of time training them around each other - clicking Mia for watching me patting Ben, rewarding one for me feeding the other (her food agression was huge but I rewarded her as I was giving Ben a treat, then I waited a fraction of a sec, then longer and longer until I could give Ben a load of treats while she sat happily tail wagging knowing Ben getting treats ment she would get treats

also teaching a positive interuptor and a instant 'bed' command so I could distract her before things escalated

Hope that helps a little and you get ontop of this quick

for what its worth my two totaly adore each other now, they can eat treats scattered on the ground together

Thank you BOTH so much for the advise! I will most definately start with it this afternoon when I get home! Will advise how it is going.

I am also proud of Laika as her separation anxiety is getting less - she spent 3hrs last night in her bed with the other 2 dogs in their room before becoming restless because of a thunder storm. The previous night we only managed 1 hour... So we're getting there!

Thank you BOTH so much for the advise! I will most definately start with it this afternoon when I get home! Will advise how it is going.

I am also proud of Laika as her separation anxiety is getting less - she spent 3hrs last night in her bed with the other 2 dogs in their room before becoming restless because of a thunder storm. The previous night we only managed 1 hour... So we're getting there!

Archived