BC Boards

Proper feeding.

Marvel

First, I tried to search for this question and came up with no valid results. That could either be because I am not looking hard enough, or it just doesn't exist.

Now to the question, I have two dogs, one is a 7y/o West Highland White terrier, and the other is my 3 Month old BC. I have been, up until recently just leaving food readily available for my terrier, and he just eats when he is hungry. Now, I am curious if it is better to feed the dogs on a schedule, breakfast, lunch dinner. Or is it fine to leave food in the food bowl all day long? I just don't know what is recommended, and if it really and truly matters. It is fundamentally easier of course to just leave food out.

What are your opinions, and/or expert answers?

95% of dogs become obese if free fed. I don't do it. Each dog gets a measured amount based on their caloric needs and that is it. Mine are fed at night in their crates so that the slow, picky eaters have plenty of time. The remaining food is removed from their crates in the morning.

BTW, my slow, picky eaters could use a few extra pounds. Otherwise I don't like to see food left in the morning because it means I am feeding too much.

I second the controlled feeding approach. If you feed at certain times with certain amounts, you can be assured your dogs are each getting what you want them to get. You find out quickly if a dog loses their appetite, and you'll get to know if a particular dog is just not a big eater, or if they're not feeling well.

If you have meds, oftentimes you can mix w/food. Check w/your vet about this. One of my dogs gets a medication that is about $50/month. I really don't want to waste any on the other dog, who doesn't need it!

Feeding separately and in a controlled fashion can help keep resource guarding down, too.

Ruth

Alright, both of my dogs have actually gotten along very nicely with the "Food Guarding" neither of them gets angry with the other. My older dog likes to jump in and take the puppy food, so we control that by separation of the bowls, I also notice that Marvel (BC), doesn't eat constantly, which I consider to be a plus to the open feeding plan, neither of them eat more food than I would consider necessary. The biggest issue I am having with this is Frankie (The terrier) has always eaten whenever, food has always been in his bowl, and he is having a hard adjustment to the scheduled feeding. I am more at a loss of what to do. I want them to both be on the same feeding plan, be it food always available or scheduled. I guess I will just have to continue on the schedule and see how this turns out.

Alright, both of my dogs have actually gotten along very nicely with the "Food Guarding" neither of them gets angry with the other. My older dog likes to jump in and take the puppy food, so we control that by separation of the bowls, I also notice that Marvel (BC), doesn't eat constantly, which I consider to be a plus to the open feeding plan, neither of them eat more food than I would consider necessary. The biggest issue I am having with this is Frankie (The terrier) has always eaten whenever, food has always been in his bowl, and he is having a hard adjustment to the scheduled feeding. I am more at a loss of what to do. I want them to both be on the same feeding plan, be it food always available or scheduled. I guess I will just have to continue on the schedule and see how this turns out.

I used to "free feed" with my Shepherd mix and Heeler. When I got my BC pup, I decided to change them all to scheduled feedings so it would be easier to house train the pup. I started by only leaving the food out for short periods of time, maybe 15 minutes tops. I did this about 3 times during the day. (I was home all day at the time) That way they started to understand that when the food was out it was meant to be eaten and if they didn't eat, well then they had to wait until the next feeding time. Eventually I broke it down into two feedings. Now I only feed in the evenings as the mornings is too full with walks and getting ready for work. It took my Heeler the longest of all to learn the schedule as he is always distracted by a ball, cows, or just wants to be outside. Now that I only feed at night I do try to mix something in. Like pumpkin or the occasional wet food or raw ground beef. Good luck with the feeding schedule! It takes work sometimes but is well worth it in the end. =)