BC Boards

Tick Prevention

I take a Super B complex vitamin and so far it has seemed to work well to ward off the ticks. Well it worked well last year and we were in some pretty heavy tick areas. I was wondering though if anyone knew of any natural essential oils that work as well? (Mainly for my mother in law, she had tick fever last year.) :(

My daughter uses garlic tablets. They live in a state park, surrounded by woods, deer, coyotes....and lots of ticks.

If that and the B complex aren't enough, your mother could try the repellents they make for children.

The repellent called Repel, the version with the lemon eucalyptus oil, has been recommended to me. They also have a Repel product that is labeled "natural." I've used both, but only in a very limited way, so can't really speak to effectiveness. Folks on the tick list mention sprays made with rose geranium oil and others.

Just beware that if you or your MIL have cats, essential oils can be toxic to them. That's the problem I have--I'd love to use something to keep the ticks off me, but the things that seem to work are dangerous to my cats....

J/

Archived