BC Boards

What Would You Think?

Hi there. I'm new to the group, and this is my first time posting on here. Just had a quick question for all of you. Here is the scenario: You breed your dog and the stud fee is a puppy back to the stud's owner. You hand the puppy over to the stud's owner, and all seems fine and dandy. The dog is now 3 years old and everytime you contact the owner to find out how it is doing, you only hear "Oh, he's doing good." You then ask for pictures and you get, "I don't have any recent pics of him on my computer." This goes on for months. Hearing this, what is your first thought?

Hard to say, but I guess I would be worried that something had happened to the dog if they wouldn't go into details about how he was doing. My camera has been dead for almost a year and I haven't replaced it yet. I suppose that because I haven't updated photos in so long some people might wonder what is going on. Why don't you just ask if they still have the dog?

Hi there. I'm new to the group, and this is my first time posting on here. Just had a quick question for all of you. Here is the scenario: You breed your dog and the stud fee is a puppy back to the stud's owner. You hand the puppy over to the stud's owner, and all seems fine and dandy. The dog is now 3 years old and everytime you contact the owner to find out how it is doing, you only hear "Oh, he's doing good." You then ask for pictures and you get, "I don't have any recent pics of him on my computer." This goes on for months. Hearing this, what is your first thought?

I might assume they sold the puppy unless that wasnt in your agreement. I would ask straight up.

Ok, what does it matter though? The pup was theirs to do as they please right? W/O a contract (or even with one) if this is strictly a stud fee pup to someone that is not a personal friend why do they have to tell or show you anything about the pup? Granted you may not like it but that's the deal you agreed to when using their dog.

Ok, what does it matter though? The pup was theirs to do as they please right? W/O a contract (or even with one) if this is strictly a stud fee pup to someone that is not a personal friend why do they have to tell or show you anything about the pup? Granted you may not like it but that's the deal you agreed to when using their dog.

The puppy was from my first litter and I would like to know how he is turning out.

The puppy was from my first litter and I would like to know how he is turning out.

So, why not ask. Maybe even tell them that you suspect they may have gotten rid of the dog and why. Give them a chance to explain. Really that's the only way you're going to know.

I don't know - it could simply be that the person isn't a picture taker, the dog is doing fine, and they don't really get what you want from them. They could be sitting there thinking, "Geez, I bred my dog to hers once, three years ago. Why does she keep bugging me?" It depends on if this is a sudden lack of communication, or if this is the first time you really pressed for anything from the owner. If they sold the dog, it seems like they would just say so and be done with it.

So, why not ask. Maybe even tell them that you suspect they may have gotten rid of the dog and why. Give them a chance to explain. Really that's the only way you're going to know.

Saying you think they "may have gotten ride of the dog" could make them quite defensive. People tend to circle the wagons and refuse to answer any questions if they think they are about to be attacked. It would be better to call and let them know why you asking (that you need more info on how he turned out for your records on the success or failure of the cross). If they give a vague summary of the dog and won't answer specific questions with specific answers, then ask if they sold him.

Saying you think they "may have gotten ride of the dog" could make them quite defensive. People tend to circle the wagons and refuse to answer any questions if they think they are about to be attacked. It would be better to call and let them know why you asking (that you need more info on how he turned out for your records on the success or failure of the cross). If they give a vague summary of the dog and won't answer specific questions with specific answers, then ask if they sold him.

Of course, I'm not suggesting you call and say "I think you may have gotten rid of the dog" in a way that will make them defensive.

You can say that you are following up on the dogs bred in your first litter and ask some basic questions, one of which can be "is he still living with you?" or something like that.

I find that I usually appreciate a direct and honest approach to things like this. If one of the rescues that I adopted my dogs from called to follow up and asked if the dog were still living with me, I would be happy to provide that information. If they called and asked for pictures when they really want to know if I still have the dog, I would not consider that professional.

If one of the rescues that I adopted my dogs from called to follow up and asked if the dog were still living with me, I would be happy to provide that information. If they called and asked for pictures when they really want to know if I still have the dog, I would not consider that professional.

I think there is a bit of a difference - with most rescues you are under contract to give the dog back to them if it goes anywhere.

But anyways I agree that if the OP is interested about the dog, just ask about the dog!! Don't beat around the bush asking for pictures, just say, "hey, I've been wondering how the dog turned out" then they can tell you or perhaps send you in the right direction. If they sold it/gave it away that's certainly within their rights as the owner!

Archived