BC Boards

Looking for volunteers...

Sue R

I've already posted on Sheepdog-L and Facebook so, if you've already replied there, thanks!

I am arranging scribes the for first annual (hopefully, sounds like a great trial already) Belle Grove SDT. There are three days of trials - Open 1 starts on Friday Apr 29 and continues into Saturday Apr 30. Open 2 starts on Sat Apr 30 and continues into Sunday May 1. The Novice and Nursery classes run on Friday Apr 29 and Saturday Apr 30 on a separate field. So, as you can see, we will need plenty of folks volunteering to scribe to cover all the bases.

Please PM me or email susan dot rayburn at gmail dot com if you would like to help out. If you are running a dog, don't worry as I will schedule you around your scheduled run(s).

Thanks to all who have already offered, and to those who will (hint, hint) offer to help!

Hi sue - didn't really know where to post this but I'd figure I'd just ask here. I'm an excited newbie to the border collie world having just rescued my first. I'd love to come and see my first SDT trial and this one is somewhat close to me. I was wondering what the rules were for spectators like me: can I bring my dog, should I bring my own chair, what times are the trials running, steer clear of this area because you'll get in the way... Lol. Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Mary

Hi sue - didn't really know where to post this but I'd figure I'd just ask here. I'm an excited newbie to the border collie world having just rescued my first. I'd love to come and see my first SDT trial and this one is somewhat close to me. I was wondering what the rules were for spectators like me: can I bring my dog, should I bring my own chair, what times are the trials running, steer clear of this area because you'll get in the way... Lol. Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Mary

I don't know specifically about the Belle Grove trial but these are general answers:

First, welcome and come on out. Usually free or very low entry fees.

Usually you can bring your well behaved dog - but keep it on leash and try not to have it barking too much.

Bringing your own chair and shade and refreshments is usually a very good idea. Sometimes, but not always, food and drinks are available for purchase - bringing your own chair is always a good idea.

Most trials start early in the morning. 8 a.m. is actually a late start and go until done - sometimes late afternoon - sometimes mid afternoon - depends on how many dogs running.

The only things to steer clear of - don't let your dog on the actual trial field or too close to the fence to the trial field (it can influence the sheep). Also, you will tend to see handlers line up two to three at a time near the entrance to the field with their dogs. These are usually the handlers who are next in the run order and they don't want to be bothered while getting ready for a run. Also let them have a few minutes to decompress after their runs. Other than that DO approach and ask questions - most everybody will be very happy to talk to you and offer helpful advice about what is going on - how to understand the course - and where you might go to try this if you are so inclined.

Have fun and beware - it is addicting.

Lost my reply...

MagRam answered your questions very well. My only thought would be to contact Belle Grove Plantation (check for contact on their website) because since this is a historical park and not a farm/ranch, and ask if you can bring a non-competitor dog.

Certainly, bring a chair, snacks, umbrella (for sun, we hope!), and dress for the weather. I think there may be a small charge for admission since it is at Belle Grove.

Archived