BC Boards

Taff half ear

My little Texas boy, now called Taff (aka Taff half ear) is settling in. Yesterday evening he ate a proper dinner for the first time. I mixed up some wet lamb and rice into his kibble and he ate it all up. This morning he was fasting, because today is his big appointment. I dropped him off at the Maricopa mobile clinic (MASH) this morning and although I have confidence that he is in the best hands, I'll be on edge until I get the phone call to pick him up.

Here's a couple more pics.

5624926539_5889094298_b.jpg

5624928211_17e3bb0b3e_b.jpg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, my little Taff slept soundly through the night and is still very quiet and just wants to curl up in his crate and sleep. We carried him (in his crate) upstairs last night and this morning I carried him down and let him out the back to hike a leg. Back inside, he drank water and then happily went into his crate again (which I had brought down while he was outside). He's very calm and cooperative, but clearly wants to be left alone to heal and get well. He'll get peace in his crate today and we'll see how he's feeling this evening.

Aw, poor Taff. I am sending him lots and lots of healing energy, and hoping that he feels better very soon. He is such a little cutie.

I am reluctant to send my Kelso in for neutering because I fear it may cause a setback. I am going to wait a while until he is a little farther along in his development.

Kelso sends his greetings to Taff.....don't know if they were friends or not, but at least they knew each other.

:-)

D'Elle

Aw, poor Taff. I am sending him lots and lots of healing energy, and hoping that he feels better very soon. He is such a little cutie.

Taff is a gem. Here he is when he got home, still very groggy from his neuter:

5640376325_bfd366b62b_b.jpg

This was taken this morning. He's still a bit quiet, but has perked up a lot since yesterday.

5640946012_8853e14eeb_b.jpg

Taff is a gem. Here he is when he got home, still very groggy from his neuter:

5640376325_bfd366b62b_b.jpg

This was taken this morning. He's still a bit quiet, but has perked up a lot since yesterday.

5640946012_8853e14eeb_b.jpg

Wow! We have that exact same design on our arcadia door!

What a sweet wee doggy!

Wow, he is small, isn't he. What a cute foxy little dog he is. glad to hear he is feeling so much better!

Taff half ear stands tall at a full 18 inches. For comparison, Senneca is 21 and Pacco 22. He's doing OK, but there is some swelling and I'm watching him very carefully. He is unbearably cute and a real trooper; no whining or complaining at all. Actually most of the whining in this house comes from my wife.

Wow! We have that exact same design on our arcadia door!

The nose art? It doesn't feel like home without it.

Wow, John, he has a very different expression on his face from the first photo I saw. He is coming along very nicely under your loving care. Good for you, Taff!! (I love his name, and it suits him so well).

Good for you, John!

Aren't these dogs amazing, what they can survive and how fast they can improve?

:D

D'Elle

Aren't these dogs amazing, what they can survive and how fast they can improve?

Yes, I am constantly amazed at their ability to "shake off" tough times and learn to trust people again. I'm reminded from the BCRT Support Group that sometimes their resilience has been pushed too far, but for every Will, there are dozens of success stories.

Now I'm impatient for Taff to heal up, get out of his crate and start doing real border collie things. That's at least another week of rest, though.

It's 5 days since his neuter and he is beginning to feel his normal self. The swelling has reduced and this morning as I was about to pick him up to take him down stairs, he actually ran down by himself. RAN, not walked. This from a boy who didn't know how to tackle stairs when he came. Obviously he's still healing so we're still going to be gentle with him, but that seems to be signal that he's ready to start getting back into the normal routine.

He ate together with the other two today -- also a first. No real issues, but my female, Senneca, was a bit perturbed by his habit of making sudden moves while eating. He'll suddenly jump back a step and then go back and continue. Not sure what to make of it, but harmless apart from disturbing Senneca. This evening, I'll keep more distance between them.

Oh and he whines, but no longer barks when he hears running water. He stops immediately when I speak to him.

He's obviously making great progress with your love and attention. He's a handsome fellow and I love the name Taff. :) All of you who have taken on these dogs or ones like them, deserve a huge thank you! Truly, you are all amzaing people!

...he actually ran down by himself. RAN, not walked. This from a boy who didn't know how to tackle stairs when he came.

He ate together with the other two today -- also a first. No real issues, but my female, Senneca, was a bit perturbed by his habit of making sudden moves while eating. He'll suddenly jump back a step and then go back and continue. Not sure what to make of it, but harmless apart from disturbing Senneca. This evening, I'll keep more distance between them.

Oh and he whines, but no longer barks when he hears running water. He stops immediately when I speak to him.

wow, John, that is wonderful progress. I am especially happy to hear he is no longer so reactive to the running water. That seems an excellent sign. I wonder about that jumping back from the food bowl thing. Wonder if it perhaps has to do with having had to struggle for food and getting bitten by others while eating. Maybe he learned it was best to grab a bite and get out of the way while your mouth was too full to be able to bite back. Just a thought.

You are obviously doing great work with lucky Taff! Please keep posting about his progress; I really love to hear about him.

D'Elle

Archived