BC Boards

Thanks for the cheers!!

Oh..............................today another first! (gosh, I just love those "Firsts'! It just makes my whole day when there's a "first"!)

Like many of the Jefferson dogs, Kelso is a "morning dog". He is always more animated in the morning first thing than he is later on in the day. This morning when I went to let him out he was wagging his tail and actually almost lifted his front feet up off the ground. We always have play first thing in the AM, and I decided to throw the toy in the back yard this morning to see if Kelso might get involved......and he did!! This was the first time that he ran with the other dogs outside, although I have tried this many times previously. He has been playing inside chasing the toy but this was the first time outside. And he ran pretty fast, turned fast (not quite on a dime, BC-style, but it's coming along), and had his tail up the whole time. Today, all day, I am going to feel good no matter what my day brings, because of that! :D

I wish you all could meet this dog. He is amazing. I don't think I would have the courage that he has, working so hard to overcome his fear and learn to trust and relax and play. I admire him so much. :)

D'Elle

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and also, would all of you please send good mojo to Kelso tomorrow, Friday? He is going to get neutered, and of course I am worried about it. I am sure he will do fine and I trust my vet, but still a little good energy sent his way couldn't hurt. Thanks!

I noticed that a lot of the male dogs have turned out to be chryptorchid (according to WTBCR they have had several as well). I didn't realize that it must be genetic? I'm holding a good thought for Kelso. He's making astonishing progress, and I'm sure, despite any setbacks, you'll keep him on track.

Lots and lots of good mojo for Kelso. Thank you for telling Kelso's story and maintaining such a positive outlook for him. I'm also cheering every little 'first' that he makes! thanks for the smiles :)

I noticed that a lot of the male dogs have turned out to be chryptorchid (according to WTBCR they have had several as well). I didn't realize that it must be genetic?

I believe it's common where there is a lot of inbreeding. Taff was unilateral chryptorchid and that resulted in an extra incision to attempt to remove the undescended testicle.

For those who sent good mojo to Kelso today, thanks so much. He came through really well and is now neutered. For some reason I was more worried about him than I have been for any of my other foster dogs, but he is OK and is already home and resting. And so far he doesn't seem to be holding it against me, although he is none too pleased about wearing the "Collar Of Shame".......but I think it is better than the Cone of Shame. My vet sent him home with this instead, thinking it would frighten him less. She was concerned at first that he might bite, as a scared dog is frequently a biter. I said, "Not this dog. He has a sweet nature". She said, "How can you know? He isn't even showing his whole personality yet", and I said "I can just tell. I believe in this dog". She gave me a funny look, but I know whereof I speak with this one. ;)

Here he is, resting. He wags his tail when I come up to him, so I think he will come through this just fine. :-)

Recoveringfromneutersurgery.jpg

Ohhhhhhhh boy. I think I just discovered Border Collie Crack. John, you suggested liverwurst, so finally today I made a point of buying some so that I would have something to offer Kelso in hopes of making him feel better after his surgery. And Oh My!! I have offered Kelso fresh roast chicken, porkchop bits, Natural Balance food roll pieces, biscuits, dehydrated chicken strips, tuna fudge, and cheese, and the liverwurst is the first food that I have seen that gets that "Hey! Whatta I have to do to get more of that!?" response that I have been seeking. It has perked him up even in his post-surgery haze. Not to mention what the other two dogs are doing, throwing behaviors at me right and left, trying to get some. Gosh, I just hope it isn't too bad for them. I note that it has sugar and chemicals in it, so it will only be given in small amounts, maybe smeared onto Charlie Bears or something. But what fun to see Kelso so interested in a food item!(Thanks, John !!)

Ohhhhhhhh boy. I think I just discovered Border Collie Crack. John, you suggested liverwurst, so finally today I made a point of buying some so that I would have something to offer Kelso in hopes of making him feel better after his surgery. And Oh My!! I have offered Kelso fresh roast chicken, porkchop bits, Natural Balance food roll pieces, biscuits, dehydrated chicken strips, tuna fudge, and cheese, and the liverwurst is the first food that I have seen that gets that "Hey! Whatta I have to do to get more of that!?" response that I have been seeking. It has perked him up even in his post-surgery haze. Not to mention what the other two dogs are doing, throwing behaviors at me right and left, trying to get some. Gosh, I just hope it isn't too bad for them. I note that it has sugar and chemicals in it, so it will only be given in small amounts, maybe smeared onto Charlie Bears or something. But what fun to see Kelso so interested in a food item!(Thanks, John !!)

There is wide spread belief among my canine friends that the closest earthly equivalent of what dogs get fed in heaven is braunschweiger served on slices of Borodinski bread (black rye made with malt). It's OK in the small amounts you should be giving. Smear it on something to make it go further.

I am starting to feel as though I am not providing enough for Kelso, and feeling badly about it. Hearing that the other very terrified and shut-down dog who came to Tucson at the same time that Kelso did is now willing to take a biscuit from a stranger really brought it to my attention more than ever that Kelso needs more human socialization than he is getting. The other dog, Alys, is being fostered by a vet tech who takes her to work with her, so she has to deal with people. I, on the other hand, live 20 miles outside of town. Only the last 2/10ths of a mile are not paved, but most people I know act as if I lived in the Anza Borrego Desert or something and won't come to my house, despite the fact that I drive just as far to go to theirs. You do have to go over the little mountains to get here, but you don't have to slay a dragon or anything.

OK, sorry - I was venting. In any case, I have the dilemma of how to get Kelso socialized, and I have been starting to worry that I am not able to provide what he needs. The thing is that even leaving the house is not something he will do willingly, so if I put him in the car and take him somewhere he will already be in a state that would not make meeting people likely to be a positive thing. Maybe I should not have taken this dog, but these things did not occur to me at the time. I just want to do what will help Kelso the most, and right now I am doubting my resources to accomplish that. :unsure:

D'Elle

Maybe it's not all that important for him to socialize with a lot of people right now. Every dog is different and he's been through a lot. I don't remember how old he is, but it sounds like he's progressing at his own speed and you're doing a great job with him. Get rid of those doubts! :)

Yeah, I don't think you should judge Kelso's progress against that of another dog. He is who he is, with his own baggage. Who knows if the other dog isn't just more naturally outgoing or more resiliently wired?

My older brother was life-of-the-party Jim. I am shy and retiring and barely spoke in school. My whole life, people said, "I can't believe he's your brother." Same parents, same home environment: two genetically separate people. The two dogs don't even have the genetic connection.

My dog took months before he'd allow a strange man to come approach us, even though I took him walking on city streets and park lanes twice a day. He had to go at his own pace, relaxing into the new world as it began to be comfortable for him.

You're doing great with Kelso, and he's making strides every day.

Mary

I have four dogs from rescue and worry that I short change the dogs because I have to spread my time. Then I reflect that I am not perfect - but nobody is. We all do the best we can - you have done an amazing job with Kelso. Cody - was the most skittish dog you have ever seen - afraid of everything. He has been with us three years now - and I call him the Diplomat. He likes all dogs, likes all people, he is the dog that intercepts other dogs for me if the other dog if off leash. Cody couldn't even walk without having one side of himself against a wall. Now - he has done agility for fun, run in the mountains with me, and is the best camping buddy ever. Time can heal, you just cannot rush it. You should be patting yourself on the back for a job well done. Okay - I will do it.... pat, pat, pat.

I agree with not comparing Kelso to the other dogs. But on the other hand, have you tried puttin him into a situation then highly rewarding him for it?

IE, he doesn't like to go outside the front door. Take him 10 ft outside and walk back inside with him. It might help him figure out that there is nothing to worry about.

Thank you for the kind words......I appreciate it very much.

Mara, the thing about rewarding Kelso is that it isn't an easy thing to do. Every dog I have ever had in my care previously was more easy to reward than Kelso is. Although he likes liverwurst a lot, it doesn't get him close to the front door any better than regular kibble does -- he simply doesn't want to go anywhere near the front door. I can get him there, by feeding a little bit and then scooching back and feeding a little more, but it takes a long time and many times of Kelso running away again, and sometimes he won't get close at all, even if it means he doesn't get the rest of his food. And if I take him out he freezes into a statue and won't look at me let alone take food from me. As soon as I allow him to, he goes back in. I am doing this anyway, taking him out, but it doesn't seem to be getting anywhere. He seems to think that the world is one big very bad scary place.

On the upside, he is playing every morning in the backyard with the other dogs when I throw a ball or toy for them to fetch. If you saw him doing that you'd never know that he was not a normal dog. That is the only time I see that, though. And no, the ball or squeaky toy won't get him out the front door, either. :(

Some dogs need to be shown that things are fine - they don't want to get out of their comfort zone because it is unknown. For a year and a half Missy rode around in the back of my car and didn't get out. The car was safe. The world outside of it was a huge unknown. So one time I just (physically) took her out and did something new with her. She saw that the world outside wouldn't eat her and she was much better after that. After that I gently and gradually pushed her just a touch outside of her comfort zone. She gained confidence and became more confident through it.

If he just freezes, perhaps just sit there for a while and let him take in the surroundings. He just froze at first in your house, right? And you gave him some time to take it in and he figured out it was fine and got more comfortable with it?

Well, isn't that just like a dog.

Right after I wrote that last post about how Kelso becomes an immovable statue out the front door, I decided to take him out. I put the harness on him (not collar, which he could slip), and carried him outside as usual. He froze, but I was feeling frustrated and impatient and so I gave a tug on the leash and walked away, calling him. I have not wanted to do this previously because I figured it would do no good to drag him around. But he got up and came with me! Only a few feet, then he lay down again. But this time he was looking at me. I tugged again and walked away, and he followed and again lay down near me. Repeat three or four times and then back we went into the house with lots of praise and petting and a liverwurst treat. It is a very far cry from walking on a leash but it's the most progress we have had out the front door so far, and I cannot help but feel encouraged.

:)

I've had fosters that wouldn't walk on a leash. The worst case, Cai, would roll over (and submissive pee) at any attempt to walk him with a leash. He learned fast when I hooked him up with a coupler to Senneca. If I had tried to drag him, it would probably have made things worse, but when he saw that it was Senneca, he scrambled to his feet and trotted along without a murmer of complaint. Two three days and he was totally transformed. I have said it before; Senneca is my foster mentor; I don't know how I would manage without her.

Way to go Kelso...D'Elle, don't you know that dogs will always make a fibber out of you?? :D Happens to me all the time with mine! I'm sure that in a few weeks, you will be telling us all about his latest adventures into the world. His story, though sad, continues to bring a smile to my face with every little victory you have...

Kelso has come so far already! I really like John's example of using a coupler to leash the shy dog to one of the other dogs for a walk, especially since Kelso's already begun to play with them at home. I am sure enjoying following your progress. I think it looks more huge from the perspective of the reader. You're so close to the situation, it may not be so clear.

Way to go Kelso...D'Elle, don't you know that dogs will always make a fibber out of you?? :D

Oh gosh, isn't that the truth! Jester does that to me all the time. So, maybe I should write that Kelso "will never accept strangers" and then the next thing I know he will be the friendliest dog in the county! (Wish it were that easy ;) ) But this does remind me that sometimes when things seem at a bleak standstill there's movement you cannot detect, and a corner may be just about to be turned. I shall keep my faith in Kelso.

Kelso has come so far already! I really like John's example of using a coupler to leash the shy dog to one of the other dogs for a walk, especially since Kelso's already begun to play with them at home. I am sure enjoying following your progress. I think it looks more huge from the perspective of the reader. You're so close to the situation, it may not be so clear.

Yes, John, that is a great idea. I have a coupler, so I just tried it out. I hooked up Kelso to Jester and off we went. Jes thinks that is the dumbest idea I have had in a very long time. Jester himself is very rarely even on a leash at all, and now here I had him attached to this crazy dog who would dash aimlessly about dragging him along for 5 seconds and then abruptly lie down, refusing to budge. Jes kept looking at me as if to say "Have you completely taken leave of your senses, boss?" But......we got farther from the house than we have previously, so I think I will keep doing it. (Poor Jes....)I am only taking Kelso out for "walk practice" for about three minutes at a time, so that Kelso knows that he will get back to home and safety quickly. I will start increasing that time gradually, and the distance from the house as well.

Thanks again for all the encouragement and support. It is greatly appreciated and if Kelso only knew how many people are pulling for him I bet it would amaze him.

:)

D'Elle

I hooked up Kelso to Jester and off we went. Jes thinks that is the dumbest idea I have had in a very long time. Jester himself is very rarely even on a leash at all, and now here I had him attached to this crazy dog who would dash aimlessly about dragging him along for 5 seconds and then abruptly lie down, refusing to budge. Jes kept looking at me as if to say "Have you completely taken leave of your senses, boss?"

Yeah, I know that look, but my poor suffering Senneca humours me and goes along with her crazy leader, even when she thinks my latest whim is beyond understanding.

Keep up the good work with Kelso. Each little step forward makes the next one a tiny bit easier.