BC Boards

Just wanted to let you folks know that I made the drive to go and visit Kelso and his new people a little while ago, and Kelso is doing great there! :D

It made me very happy to see what a nice home environment he has there, and how obvious it is that his new people love him dearly. He has everything he could want, and is obviously very attached to his mom. Also, he has decided that fetching a ball is a Great activity, and will do it all day long if given the opportunity. This is so cool, because he never fetched while he was with me; I suspect largely because I have a fetch-obsessed BC who wouldn't let anyone else do the fetching. Kelso perhaps learned it from watching Jester!

In any case, just thought that I would give you the update so you'd know that the adoption has gone as well as I expected it to -- maybe even better. I couldn't be happier for him, and for his people, who have adopted a very special dog indeed, and who know it and fully see and appreciate who Kelso is. What more could anyone want.

:)

D'Elle

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to update everyone on Kelso.... :)

Kelso is doing SOOOO well. He is just the perfect dog for us. We are going on all sorts of adventures together (camping in Flagstaff, visiting Horse Lover's Park where we watch all the horse activities, many, many hiking adventures, we stayed in a dog-friendly hotel in Sedona and San Diego, ran on the dog beach together, etc...etc..). We are all having so much fun together. He ADORES my husband now and RUNS to him with tail held high and all "waggly." He acts like a puppy in so many ways! He get super excited when his harness and leash come out because he wants to go "bye-bye in the car." He no longer gets sick in the car but, instead, drools with excitement as he does when he sees any ball or toy. He plays in the park with me, chases after me and goes down the slide with me...hee hee! He is just an AWESOME little guy. However, he still "plays 'possum" if any stranger comes to our home. He is ok with strangers out in the community (he just ignores them) but if someone comes to the house he kind of becomes a "lump." It takes him a long, long time to get used to anyone in the house...very long and he never really is 100% ok with it. We don't have many people over though so that is ok and I think it is something that will just take a very long time (and he probably won't ever really enjoy strangers in the house). That is ok though. It is fine with us. I have many videos and photos to share. I will post them on youtube and share the link with everyone if you'd like to see him romping on the beach, playing goalie with a soccer ball, playing "hide-n-seek" with his ball, and many other cute antics. He is just the loveliest boy! So gentle, so sweet, so loving.....

I wish everyone well and I'll post the videos and photos ASAP.

Peace to all...

Annmarie, Ramin and Kelso

This is such absolutely wonderful news! Thanks to D'Elle's foundation work and your (and your husband's) continuing care and affection, he is turning into a happy, contented dog!

PS - I transported a very shut-down dog once. In his new home, like Kelso, he has learned faith and trust, and has become comfortable in his own skin and his world, loves his female and male owners, and is a happy dog at last. His and Kelso's stories are both so heart-warming and affirmative about the power of knowledgeable care and love.

Thank you!

Happy, happy! I'm so glad Kelso found D'elle and then found you and your husband. He's a lucky, wonderful dog, and y'all are just awesome for bringing him so far. I'm sure it's been a wonderful journey for all of you, and will continue to be for years to come! I, too, am looking forward to videos and more photos!

J.

Excellent update - and yes, we all want to see the videos!

FWIW... my dog used to be quite fearful, but his method of responding to strangers in the house/yard is to bark, LOUD and NONSTOP, while they are here. I might prefer a dog who became a quiet lump. :)

Mary

• 2 weeks later...

Dear everyone,

Here is the "Kelso Video Collection" so far (see below)....

I apologize for my annoying overly excited/high-pitched/screechy "playing with my doggie voice"...I would recommend to turn off your computer volume! Sorry!!

D'Elle, thank you SOOOO much for all you've done with Kelso. Without you, it would never have been possible.

You clearly saved this precious boy's life! I always tell Kelso how proud you are of him. We'd love to come visit you someday!

You may wish to turn off the volume (due to my very annoying screechy/excited "voice"....sorry!). :)
default.jpg Play
(
default.jpg Play
(
default.jpg Play
(
default.jpg Play
(
default.jpg Play
Soccer Video 2 desertcitysun1212

You may wish to turn down/off the volume (due to my very annoying screechy/excited voice....sorry!). :)

hee hee....Kelso was kind of telling my husband, "Hurry up, man! I already got the hang of this and you are WAAAAY too slow for me!"

Kelso is something else....he comes up with something new each day.

He never ceases to amaze us!! :)

PS You have a beautiful dog in your photo, ShoresDog!

Oh. My. Goodness! Are you sure that's the same dog who was so withdrawn that it was a *very big deal* for him to interact at all with D'Elle in the earlier days/weeks/months?

Amazing and wonderful!

Thank you, Annmarie. Daisy is a rescue -- in the classic sense of the word "rescue", quite a story -- and I've had her for 8.5 years now. Still as fun as ever, just a few more white hairs on the muzzle than in that picture.

It's great how much Kelso enjoys new things. That whole side of him was locked in. Shoot, he couldn't even trot or run smoothly when D'elle first reported on him. Your little videos are powerful advertisements for rescuing and fostering.

• 3 weeks later...

Of all the foster dogs that have come through my home over the years, Kelso is the one who truly stole my heart. I love that dog as much today as I did when he was living with me, and I love those videos soooo much, Annmarie! It is a huge testament to the power of love that Kelso could come from not even being able to walk properly, and being terrified to the point of catatonia of everything, to become the dog he is today. What an amazing dog.

That's the thing.............I just knew the first time I looked into his eyes that there was a beautiful dog in there, if only he could find a way to come out and be seen. I had faith in him. And he worked so hard and was so willing to try, and he overcame so much. What a remarkable being he is.

Honestly, I believe that almost all dogs can come as far as Kelso did if only they are given the chance.

BC Rescue of Texas, and then Arizona Border Collie Rescue gave him the chance, and I did my best to give him a home where he could feel safe, and now Annmarie and Ramin will love him the rest of his life.

If I ever wonder if I have done anything useful in my life, I only have to remember Kelso. He did all the hard work, but at least I can say that I helped.

thank you for posting those videos, Annmarie. They brought tears of joy to my eyes. Isn't he just beautiful?

DL

Of all the foster dogs that have come through my home over the years, Kelso is the one who truly stole my heart. I love that dog as much today as I did when he was living with me, and I love those videos soooo much, Annmarie! It is a huge testament to the power of love that Kelso could come from not even being able to walk properly, and being terrified to the point of catatonia of everything, to become the dog he is today. What an amazing dog.

snip

If I ever wonder if I have done anything useful in my life, I only have to remember Kelso. He did all the hard work, but at least I can say that I helped.

D'Elle,

I gotta say, having rehabbed a terrified and seriously abused dog myself, that you did a LOT of hard work, too. You adjusted your expectations constantly, to best meet Kelso's needs. That in itself is hard work. If there is a single thing that works to help abuse victims, human and animal, move through the fears, it is the delicate act of pushing just hard enough, but not too hard. The pressure on/pressure off dance done well builds an incredible sense of accomplishment and establishes a wonderful bond of trust between the two individuals, until there is a point when you forget who is leading the dance.

Again, it's very hard work that you did with and for Kelso. Take some credit, woman! ;)

Ruth and Agent Gibbs