Jump to content
BC Boards

Recommended Posts

I'm so worried about Cadi. She's at the vet right now because she had a severe allergic reaction to something outside. Our best guess is a bee or wasp sting. I noticed her rubbing her face on the ground and within 5 min. her face swells up, her entire underside is beet red, and she's rolling around on the ground whining, scratching, and biting herself. I put her in the car and raced to the vet. He gave her a cortisone shot and is giving her a bath with some medicine to make her feel better. He wanted to keep her an extra hour for observation because she wasn't getting better yet.

 

Jedi gets stung every summer and he never reacts like this.

 

Mojo please..I can't stand it when one of my dogs is sick. :(

 

Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ohhh, poor baby. Sending good thoughts your way. I always worried Scooter would get stung--he used to try to catch bees, etc. in his mouth.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Adolph's Instant Meat Tenderizer, or any tenderizer that has Papain as the active ingredient, made into a paste with water and applied quickly to a bee or wasp sting, will neutralize the venom.

 

I learned this in the Emergency Room years ago as I, too, have reactions to the stings. I now keep Adolph's on hand during bee season. Even carry it in my car when we go to the dog park.

 

Hope your puppy feels better soon!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cadi is comfortable and sleeping now. Her mouth still looks a little puffy but the swelling is almost gone. Her skin color is back to normal. I couldn't find where the sting was. The vet gave me some prednisone tablets to give her if it happens again.

 

Phew.. Who knew she'd have such a reaction. I'm glad she's ok but the vet bill, Ouch!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Per my vet's advice, I always try to have generic liquid Benadryl on hand, that hasn't expired. I have had a few dogs get bit/stung and their faces swelled right up in a scary way. The Benadryl has worked every time to bring the swelling down. Periodically I revisit my "dog stuff shelf" and ensure my Benadryl hasn't expired. I also keep an unopened hydrogen peroxide for emesis purposes...opened H2O2 can lose an H and turn to water which will not help if you want your dog to vomit up something he shouldn't have eaten.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Phew.. Who knew she'd have such a reaction. I'm glad she's ok but the vet bill, Ouch!

 

Mr. Woo once got bitten by a carpenter ant and his head swelled up like a basketball - I couldn't even see his eyes! And of course it was a Friday night, after 9PM. We ended up at the ER Vet, so I feel your pain.

 

Tweed swells up when he gets stung. but not quite so badly as your girl. Piper doesn't swell up at all, not even when she had a dozen wasps on her face (which is what happens when you insist on sticking your head in a mudwasp nest after you are told to leave it).

 

RDM

Link to post
Share on other sites

Piper doesn't swell up at all, not even when she had a dozen wasps on her face (which is what happens when you insist on sticking your head in a mudwasp nest after you are told to leave it).

 

This story sounds suspiciously like an incident I had with Sophie many years ago. Only the wasps didn't just get her face. They got my arms and legs, too. Luckily she isn't allergic in the slightest. Unluckily, I am . . .

 

Glad Cadi is okay now!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just seeing this now. I'm glad Cadi is feeling better. I feel your pain on the vet bill, too. I just dropped some serious $$ on a vet bill for two dogs and neither was getting much done (one rabies, two hw tests, and two annual physicals). Oh, and Skittles had to have his prepuce scoped because he has *ahem* herpes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So glad she's OK (now). Bree got stung once like that. I didn't see it happen, but her face swelled up like a blackmoor goldfish. It freaked me out. Cost me about $500 to spring her from the joint (ER Vet) which just contributed to the coronary I was already having. It is scary when that happens.

 

A year or two ago I was out at a friend's place when Ginger apparently wandered over top of a yellow jacket nest. They were all over her, and she was running to me just as fast as she could go. I couldn't get that kind of recall on a normal day. :lol: Anyway, everyone else (human) was running away from me (and Ginger) but I stayed and whacked them off of her. I loaded her up with benadryl and thankfully she didn't react (and I only got stung once). Thankfully, also, was the fact that she was in full coat at that time and I think most of them weren't able to sting her through all of that hair!

Link to post
Share on other sites

At Donald McCaig's trial last year there was a yellowjacket nest right on the path (for the dog anyway) that I had to follow to take the sheep to the set out. Poor Pip kept getting stung--I'd flank him and he'd be flanking with his face sliding on the ground trying to rub away the sting. Fortunately Debbie C had Benadryl on her (mine was back at the cabin, where it was, ahem, useless). Luckily Pip didn't have an adverse reaction and Thea and I took care of the nest that night with a little bonfire of sorts....

 

Some time ago, I came home from work and took Indy for a walk. He seemed quiet when I got home, but I didn't think much of it until he showed no enthusiasm on his walk. I got maybe half a block from home and decided to check his color. His ears were icy, and it was clear he was pale abd shocky (how did I not notice that?). He ended up at the emergency vet that evening (after a trip to my regular vet right at closing). There was nothing obvious in the yard he could have gotten in to, but the vets all surmised that he had been bitten or stung by an insect. Very scary.

 

J.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tempe has been bitten/stung by something twice now. Luckily not in the last year (knock on wood). Both times she ended up with hives that started on her face and then proceeded to come up all over her body. The first time we went to the emergency vet who gave her steriods and such. The next day the hives showed up again so off to the regular vet since it was now Monday. They have us steriods for at home and said sometimes the reaction can last a couple days. It was weird that it came and went. Seems her adrenaline kept it at bay but once she settled it got worse. A week later she was finally better. The second time, we were able to get benedryl in her quickly and went to the regular vets. More steriods for a week. It is definitely scary to see the reaction happening. Glad Cadi is ok.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...