BC Boards

Diabetes and Old Dogs

urge to herd

So, Her Highness feels like skin and bones to me, even though she's eating about 2 cups of kibble a day, plus liberal treats from "I Just Can't Say No To Her", aka DH. I've also noticed the last couple days that she's drinking a lot of water.

So, I'll weigh her today at the emergency vet. They've got a digital walk-on scale in the lobby, and I'm pretty sure they'll let me get her weight without charging me for a visit.

What can I expect if she is diabetic? She's 15 yrs, maybe even 16 yrs old. Never had a diabetic pet before, so I have nothing to go on.

Oy.

Ruth

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, she's been to see our vet. I posted that in another thread. He said, from what I told him, that since she's eating well, got a ton of energy and joie de vivre for a 15 yr old dog, is continent, and he couldn't find any masses, that she's pretty healthy.

He suggested increasing her food, maybe adding rice for more carbs, and weighing her in a month. If the weight loss continues or she starts having other issues, we'll do some tests.

Right now, she's looking a little upset that I haven't played any rolly ball with her this morning, poor thing.

Thanks for asking,

Ruth

Thanks, Julie, I guess it's possible, but I don't have any thing to compare it to. I can say that she's much more active than she was pre-Gibbs. Active for a 15 yr old dog doesn't seem like much, but when I really think about it, she's galloping for a dozen steps once or twice a day, she's wanting to do trick training, she's up and about much more than before we brought Gibbs home. She's been literally sleeping 22 hours a day before that. She got less and less active as she aged, we thought nothing of it. So, maybe she just does need more food now that she's rockin' and rollin'!

I'll let you all know what her weight shows in a couple weeks.

Ruth

I've had really good luck with a supplement called Dyne. It's a high caloric supplement, very palatable, smells like vanilla. You can either pour it on their feed, or sryinge it in their mouth if they have little appetite. It's really good for ailing critters, sheep/lambs, horses, cattle/calves...just don't use it on your cat, as it contains prop. glycol.