BC Boards

whistling Dixie

Today, Liz and I were discussing whistles and techniques. I let her try my commander whistle. There seemed to be a problem. I had just groomed a very hairy dog and the whistle it seemed had hairs on it!

So what to avoid when whistling:

Grooming dogs before using the whistle.

Eating lots of potatoe chips (although some seem to like this, I find the whistle flies out of my mouth due to greasy lips)

Wearing a lanyard and handling horned livestock ( breakaway lanyards recommended)

Whistling too much while driving a car-don't want to pass out or hyperventilate

Other suggestions welcomed

Don't try to use your brass masterblaster after it has been hanging from the rearview mirror in the truck during sub-zero temps.

Don't take up the offer of a cheez-it's, crackers or othe dry snacks from your best friend who is also competing against you as your walking to the post.

Remember to tuck your whistle inside of your shirt when you spray yourself with bug spray. (tastes horrible).

Be careful to not lean over a wire crate with your whistle on or you may find yourself not able to stand up. Another case for tucking the whistle inside of your shirt.

Kathy

Asthma and whistling sure don't mix. It was bad today and I was having a hard time keeping a loud, steady note. Supposedly I sounded like a dying duck. :rolleyes: Talk about a lung function test!

I often wear t-shirts with a pocket on the chest - tuck my whistle in there, unless I'm wearing two shirts, in which case I tuck it between the two.

Here's one... don't hang your sunglasses between your uh... um... on your chest between the two sides of your lanyard at a trial. If you go to either a. put your sunglasses back on or b. put your whistle in your mouth they'll become a tangled mess and you'll be standing at the post fumbling.

I love to hear my grandson whistle. I used to live a ways from him, when he was just a toddler he'd always be a bit leary of me at first. But if I started whistling he'd be right over in my lap. To this day (he's only 4) he's a whistling fool!

My addition.

I don't have chewy dogs, but one day my whistle (leather lanyard) was lyin on the coffee table. I saw mick contentedly chewing away on something....yep he ate the lanyard. I'd had it for years, no one ever bothered it. But from then on if I lay it in dog range someone is always sneaking up to it smelling it like they're gonna chew it up again. So don't leave it lying around in dog range.

I used to worry that it'd get hung up on equipment or on the fence and hurt myself. I finally figured out it will break (little swivel fish hook holder is what attaches the whistle to the lanyard) fi caught and pulled on. The swivel thing will give before my neck does. So make sure it has a way to pull free if caught, speically if you aren't smart enough to tuck it into your shirt...DUH...face smack!

Also if you use it allot or just keep it hanging around your neck allot, make sure to clean it about once a month. I used to run it through the dishwasher. One day I used a tooth pick to clean it, hadn't cleaned it in a while. Bluckkky the stuff that poked out of it.

Just Bluckyyyy!

I never seem to have to blow it so hard that it winds me, but maybe I just have lots of hot air!

I only wish I had that problem :rolleyes:

no one in our group has any idea on how to make any sound come out of the little "devils" :blink:

But we could hang them around our necks when Pam (and hopefully Liz) come down in May to realy really impress them :lol:

Just imagine - whistles and sucking livestock :D:P:D

give it to a kid under 10 or so, they'll show you how in a few minutes. My kids could all use the thing long before I got a sound out of it.

It's like blowing in a bottle or a flute, not directly into it.

There was a great whistle link I used to have...new computer, no favs.

Remember to tuck your whistle inside of your shirt when you spray yourself with bug spray. (tastes horrible).

That is the best piece of advise I've gotten concerning whistles in a long time. Good one!

Just imagine - whistles and sucking livestock

Hey Claudia...just so you know...you blow not suck!!! :P

Whistle on ladies (and gents if there are some)

What really makes me crazy is that people want to grab my whistle. With their hands. With their own who-knows-what germy hands. *shudders* Lets just pretend for a second that I didn't put the handle end of the knife used to cut open hay bales into my mouth the other night. I guess I'd just prefer to choose my germs.

FWIW, the swivels are pretty darned strong. If you're using a beaded lanyard the crimp beads will give first. I have yet to actually break the line or swivel on a beaded lanyard. I'd think, though, that on a leather lanyard the jump ring will likely go first - then the swivel (if the swivel has the little sticky-outy part on it - if the part that tucks in is straight it will probably go before the jump ring). Either way the hardware will likely go before the leather would break.

Don't slip between the electric fence wires with your whistle dangling - if the fence is not on, you'll get caught and it'll jerk on your neck. If the fence is on, you will get caught and it will jerk on your neck, and you will wind up hitting one or more fence wires, falling down, and having a leg tangled in the fence, and you can guess the rest. Don't ask me how I know this.

Don't slip between the electric fence wires with your whistle dangling - if the fence is not on, you'll get caught and it'll jerk on your neck.

LOL, I was about to post this because I just did it about a half hour ago. :rolleyes:

Don't practice while driving to your day job at an upscale office in your "good" clothes, unless you're wearing a bib

:lol::lol:

When I used to trial or get nervous I had to shake the spittle out of the darn thing or the sound would be all wet!

And yes, I let no one whistle on my whistle cept my grandson and I try very hard not to look at his snotty nose or dirty face when he's got my whistle in his little dirty mouth.

Better a dog lick me that to get human germs...yuck!

I keep a couple spare plastic whistles for friends that insist on trying to whistle. then I run those through the dishwasher.

The two most outrageous ones I've heard are:

Taking that last trip to the port-a-john, accidently dropping your only whistle down the hole, and then having to decide how important that whistle is for your upcoming runs.

Blowing so hard that your whistle AND dentures pop out into the field and both needed to go back into your mouth during a run.

kinda already been said, but don't bend down with whistle out, over a wire crate. you'll get the whistle stuck on one of the wires and fall face first onto the crate. I'm not saying this because it happened to me..no I'm really not.

Blowing so hard that your whistle AND dentures pop out into the field and both needed to go back into your mouth during a run.

Seen it!!! Not really funny if it's you but everyone else gets quite a tickle!

:lol::lol:

Taking that last trip to the port-a-john, accidently dropping your only whistle down the hole, and then having to decide how important that whistle is for your upcoming runs.

Thanks, now tell me how on earth can I unread this...?

And yet, an obscene part of me would like to know the outcome of that decision.... :blink:

Archived