BC Boards

Speedy is now Retired from Live Competition

After six years of competing with me in Rally and Freestyle, I am retiring Speedy from live competition. He actually still enjoys competing live, but the long days waiting around and dealing with barky dogs has become very difficult for him. He ends up pretty stiff by the end of the day.

The good thing is that he doesn't have to retire completely. We will continue to compete in both WCFO Freestyle and Dogs Can Dance Challenge Freestyle by video. That's a lot easier on him because we go to the facility, we film, and we go home.

I thought it very fitting that his in his last live run we went right back to where we started out - in APDT Level 1 Rally. He actually hasn't competed in Rally seriously in several years. He has been going along with Dean and me, and I would enter him in one run. He had been doing the Veteran's division, but he got his championship in that at the last trial, so I popped him into Level 1 for this one.

Although the video picture is rather far away, I wanted to share his last run. He can't move his rear end on his lefts like he used to, but it was still lovely. He actually got a higher score than Dean (who got his second QQ toward his ARCH - wooooohoooooo!!) and he got 4th place in the B class, which was jam packed with really good dogs, and that made it extra nice.

Speedy has come such a long, long way! He's the one who got me into all of this dog sport stuff and no matter how many dogs I train and compete with, and no matter what those dogs and I accomplish together, Speedy will always be my best dog!! He had to overcome a seriously fearful temperament to even be able to go to these kinds of things, much less enjoy them, and actually qualify!

I'll always miss Speedy at Rally trials and at live Freestyle competitions when I go someday with Tessa, but Dean is ready to start going to Rally trials on his own, and it really is his thing now. And, of course, I'm glad we have the video option for Freestyle!!

Good boy, Speedy! I know the video is far away, but he sure doesn't look like an old dog, does he?

... the long days waiting around and dealing with barky dogs has become very difficult for him.

And tell him he has our full understanding on this point! :)

Good boy, Speedy! I know the video is far away, but he sure doesn't look like an old dog, does he?

No, he doesn't. He looks quite young. He has just a little bit of grey around his mouth, but other than that he looks about 4!

If it weren't for his arthritis, he wouldn't really be an old Border Collie yet. He's only going to be 10 this coming summer and he's definitely very young at heart. But the joint issues have definitely had a effect on his endurance and ability to deal with trial stress and a long day spent mostly waiting around.

• 1 month later...

Archived