BC Boards

Our new addition to the family

Yesterday afternoon we brought home a year old (possibly less) BC/Aussie mix from a rescue organization in Toledo. He was found wandering in the rain a few weeks ago near a school--no collar or tags. After trying to find his owner, he was taken in by the rescue group.

From what I can tell, he has a lot of Aussie in him. He was pretty laid back yesterday, but did well with family and friends stopping in to greet him and doesn't appear to be dog aggressive. He's very friendly, but it's obvious he hasn't had any training, although he does go outside to do his business. He knows "sit" and today I taught him to lie down. Very treat motivated. We were told he didn't know how to climb stairs, but this morning he decided he did, and went all the way up to the second floor on his own. He's very proud of himself and that's the new favorite game--going up and down, up and down. :D

I think last night was the first time he'd ever been crated and he whined for a little while, but finally went to sleep. I've been putting treats in his crate and he goes in and out every once in a while to check.

He's still mouthing everything, but we're working on that. I don't ever want another dogs teeth anywhere on my body.

He had his first run around the back yard a little while ago and that got rid of some of his pent up energy. Playing seems to be something foreign to him, but I'm sure he'll catch on soon enough. So it looks like we have our work cut out for us. :rolleyes:

Pictures to follow later.

Thank you to everyone who suggested rescue organizations and breeders, and helped me through the past six weeks.

P.S.--I can still be on the Border Collie Board, right? Even though he's part Aussie? :lol:

Congratulations and kudos for finding a dog that needed you! You know you are always welcome here - that is, unless we don't get some pictures, soon!

We have had several Aussies and Aussie/Border Collie mixes in our family. Great dogs, all of them.

And wishing you the very, very best!

He had his first run around the back yard a little while ago and that got rid of some of his pent up energy. Playing seems to be something foreign to him, but I'm sure he'll catch on soon enough. So it looks like we have our work cut out for us. :rolleyes:

Pepper is going to be one happy pup with you as a buddy! Sure glad you found him!

Liz

Congrats on the new addition. Our BC/bernese mountain mix rescue was put off by stairs. But the day she realized she could do it.... up and down, up and down, up and down- all by herself for no apparent reason. Did make us laugh.

Somebody has that little icon that says "this thread is useless without pictures". Where is that? :lol: Seriously, congratulations! Wishing you many happy times ahead with Pepper. Thank you for rescuing, and I can't wait to see him! :D

Congratulations! Sophie is a presumed aussie x border collie, too--it's a terrific mix :)

Can't wait to hear more about your adventures getting to know Pepper (great name, btw--one of my childhood cats was named Pepper).

Archived