BC Boards

Ak Doc or other kitten rescuers ?

Dh found kitten on road. Problem: kitten has one eye infected, will surely lose eye. Otherwise appears healty, acts normal. Currently protected in pet carrier with food and water, comfortable. Tore into kitten food, was starving, ate good. Will contact vet ASAP, probably won't reach before Mon. Anything else we can do?

You can hotpack the eye if there's a lot of discharge (hot wet washcloth GENTLY over eye two to four times daily, for about 5 to 10 minutes) to help remove secretions, especially if they're matted onto the hair. It the kitten really hates this, it's not worth getting into a fight over - however, it may be soothing. If you have an antibiotic ointment for eyes, you can try using that - be absolutely sure there's no steroid in it, however - this can worsen things in some cases, and you need medical assessment before you put a steroid on an eye. I have in the past used plain old neosporin, with care, in a pinch (although I can't actually suggest that YOU do this, since it's not the labelled use, and I can't advise that.) Cats do pretty well with only one eye, and your new charge MAY in fact lose the eye - but don't be completely sure the eye is a goner just yet; I've seen some disaster cases come back when I was sure they'd be one-eyed pirate cats for life.

Best of luck with this, and bless you for taking in the little mite.

Gave first hot pack treatment at 9am. Guk came off it. The eye is all red and puffed out. Kitten loved the treatment and actually purred the entire time. Since I have my contacts in this morning noticed the other eye has a dot to it like it has been poked by a claw. I'll keep an eye on that. So far it hasn't pottied in the animal carrier on the papers or its towel. It ate half of last nights dry kitty food and drank all the water.

If you have an old tin pie pan, or something of that nature, you could put it in with kitty. You might want to use some dirt mixed with kitty litter in case it isn't used to litter. Hope it all works out for the lil thing. So glad it found y'all to take care of it. A Border Cat. Cool, it was meant to be! LOL

Good luck!

Originally posted by Dixie_Girl:

If you have an old tin pie pan, or something of that nature, you could put it in with kitty. You might want to use some dirt mixed with kitty litter in case it isn't used to litter.

I second that thought. A lot of cats need dirt/litter to potty in and would only use paper/towels as a last resort. Plus I always worry about setting precedent and the only place I want a cat going is in its liter box. It's very, very wise not to let the kitty use the same box as your other cats, but in the meantime, even litter in a carbord box might be a huge relief for the little one.

Just a note, if it's a really young kitten (like 8 weeks old) then it's a good idea to not use the clay kitty litter... I've heard that they can get very sick from it (ingesting it, which kittens do far more often than older cats).

Poor little thing. :rolleyes: I hope his eye recovers.

Dh has decided the kitten is named Mo.

I dug up some sand. All the kitty litter around here is in Molly's big litter box. I finally found a small box lined it with a bag and put the dirt in. At first I thought Mo had no clue. But when I managed to get the box into the carrier and arranged a separate sleeping towel mound and place for food and water too, Mo informed me otherwise. Mo had only one complaint. Seems per Mo I didn't get enough sand for the box. Patient is currently taking another nap.

Bless you, Karrie. The nurse in me says wash wash and wash your hands some more. You sure don't want whatever is ailing that kitty's eye on your contact!! I am sure you know to scrub for the time it takes you to say your ABC's then turn the faucet off with a towel/paper towel to avoid recontamination. Sorry for the kindergarten lesson, but I have met SO SO many people who don't realize they are recontaminating when they turn off the faucet they just turned on with their dirty hand!!

Good luck with that eye tommorrow. Glad kitty is eating and drinking. That is a good sign.

Originally posted by Tammy525:

SO many people who don't realize they are recontaminating when they turn off the faucet they just turned on with their dirty hand!!

That's why I have anti-biotic soap in the kitchen and why when I wash my hands after handling possible infectious stuff, I soap up the handles and let it set while I wash my hands.

BTW The active ingredient in that gel they make for disinfecting is alchohol! So, just splash some on your hands if you are realy worried! It's way cheaper than that gel. You can also buy the pads diabetics use. Again, cheaper.

Well Mo is getting NOSEY! Mo keeps trying to look around while the compress is on. Purrs and kneads the entire time, I have the compress on. So far has drank, eaten and pottied. Calling Vet in the morning and getting Mo in to get checked and treated for the eye. I'll let ya'll know what Doc says.